You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-8-2014 11:21:54  #131

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome Luc, Furkan, and Nathan!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-8-2014 13:21:32  #132

Hey!
I learned to type on an Olympia in high school. I have always loved typewriters and feel of typing.

I recently started to follow blogs dedicated to typewriters. I never knew there were so many different models and so many people who still used them.

I'm lucky in that a typewriter repairman lives in my town.

Look forward to interacting with you all.

21-8-2014 17:09:47  #133

Welcome to TT Dave. I'm surprised by how many people can remember what type of typewriter they learned to type on. My mind is completely blank in that regard; I guess I must have hated typing class that much when I was a kid.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-8-2014 00:26:59  #134

newbie here posting message # 1 so I can post a message with attachment which are otherwise disallowed - shhhheeeezzzzz.... what's a fell ta do!

29-8-2014 09:50:25  #135

I'm from the St. Louis, Missouri region in the heart of Midwestern United States.  My wife and I have always loved old things.  Our house looked like a museum, until we started having a children, now it looks like an episode of "Hoarders".  One of my favorite things to hoard is typewriters.  I love the idea that you can have a machine that most consider archaic and it still work as well as it was designed to a century ago.

29-8-2014 13:43:09  #136

Welcome mountainman! I'd love to see some photos of those hoarded machines!

29-8-2014 13:54:22  #137

Hey everyone!

I have a feeling I may just be the youngest member here at the age of 16. I'm a college student residing from the UK, and I started my typewriter collection two months ago (although I may have to wait a while before amassing enough typewriters to be considered an avid collector due to space issues!)

It sounds pretty silly, but I actually fell in love with typewriters when I was just a tot. I can't remember whether it was a Christmas or a birthday present, but I received a kid's Barbie typewriter and I just adored it. Apparently I cried when it ran out of ink and my mother said we couldn't get a replacement. After that, I spent a lot of time lusting after a "proper" typewriter, but my mother said you couldn't get ink ribbons so there was no point. 'Course, when I was old enough to properly research on the internet, I found lots of places where you could find replacements, and after a lot of haggling I managed to convince my parents to let me buy one! It probably isn't acceptable to ordinary collectors, but I bid on Ebay for a gorgeous Imperial 2002. With P&P, it came to a pretty price of just £10. Best thing was, it works like a dream. No sticky keys or broken platens here!

I currently own my manual typewriter and an electric Panasonic after a neighbour heard I was obsessed with these fine pieces of machinery, donating her old machine to a good home! I'm currently in love with a Royal Quiet Deluxe, hoping that in the near future I will get my hands on one!

Somewhat long introductory post finished, I'm looking forward to conversing with you all!

Currently the proud owner of...
Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

29-8-2014 15:20:49  #138

Hi everyone!

I'm from France, and I thought I was very young for a typewrtier user with my age of 19, but it seems that it isn't that young when I saw your message Mari!

Actually this is my love for fountain pens that led me here.

I'm a big fan of fountain pen, and I started a collection a couple of years ago, but this love for a writing tool made me love ink, then paper, and then everything related to writing.

So I really wanted at least 1 old typewriter, and I found an old and dusty one in a thrift shop for almost nothing.
This is a german Olivetti M40 (not sure about the serie, but I think it's a M40 II), and I find it gorgeous!

I think this typewriter may be the first of a long list!

29-8-2014 19:03:22  #139

Hello and welcome to aldaris and to Mari!

I too use fountain pens (have you browsed FPN?) and the two things go well together, IMO.  Many of my letters are typed, but with a hand-written salutation at the top, and a closing line at the bottom in pen.

See you both round the forums.

Sincerely,
beak.

30-8-2014 12:18:14  #140

I've got a small fountain pen collection as well. Maybe we should have a sub-forum here for pens? I never go to FPN any more, but it is the defacto forum for the pen collector.

Board footera