You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-8-2014 10:23:00  #141

Re: New Member Thread

Hi, everyone. I just bought my first vintage typewriter (a Royal KHY) and I'm very excited to have found this group. So much good information!

01-9-2014 01:22:22  #142

Welcome Panda! I hope to see a few pictures of your KHY in the Standard Typewriters sub-forum.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-9-2014 18:54:28  #143

Hello everyone! My name is Jefferson and I am new here to the forum. Just recently I have got into repairing old typewriters and come across some Goodies.  I look forward to seeing what pops up here on the fourm.
I own
-an SX series Royal model 10
-1916 Underwood model 5
-1926 green Royal P portable
-Foldable Corona:  year??
-Remington rand portable model 1.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Typo207 (02-9-2014 07:06:42)

23-9-2014 11:01:48  #144

Hello everybody,

this is Jose, from Almería, in sunny Southern Spain. I come here looking for some advice, I don't have a big typewriter collection, but I'd be glad if you could help me with what I already have. I hope to learn a lot from you and to teach you at least one thing in return. I'm willing to answer as many questions as you want and to enjoy my time on this forum.

Best regards,
Jose

El veloz murciélago hindú comía feliz cardillo y kiwi. La cigüeña tocaba el saxofón detrás del palenque de paja.

23-9-2014 11:15:04  #145

Welcome Jose! Nice to have someone from Spain here.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-9-2014 20:54:38  #146

Hey, I'm Jack. Over a few months I have amassed a medium sized collection, around 20 machines. I buy and sell over eBay a lot, and I am constantly checking thrift shops for good deals. I am a amateur repairman at best, and I have a lot to learn. A few of you may know me from typewriterdatabase.com 

See my collection here: http://typewriterdatabase.com/typewriters.php?hunter_search=1331

23-9-2014 22:26:28  #147

HiJack... I'll bet you get that joke a lot. Glad to see you made the trip from the DB to our humble little forum.

24-9-2014 18:11:07  #148

Hey, my name is Nick and I am just getting into typewriting.

I am 19, in college, in the U.S. PA Army National Guard, and I decided to get a manual typewriter due to reliability and portability. Before I had two electric typewriters: a Smith Corona and some other brand. I don't have it with me here in college but the user manual was in German and they typewriter took an additional spool of what I guess is "white out" ribbon because it actually deletes the previous character when you hit the backspace.

My choice for a portable manual is the Royal "Mercury", a sleek Japanese made baby with built in pull over case.

She came in just today and she worked like a charm. Upon inspection she had some gunk on her striker arm key faces; presumably due to picking up dust upon striking an ink ribbon.

I couldn't find a guide that went into this problem specifically, so I went ahead and used my own intuition to clean her. My third post on this forum board will be my guide.

24-9-2014 22:25:26  #149

Hey Nick - Congratulations.  Is it the one with the white/woodgrain on the white and grey?
Those Royal ultraportables look pretty sweet.  I'd love to find one.

Last edited by foggymountainman (24-9-2014 22:27:10)

24-9-2014 22:48:09  #150

It is cream white body with gray handle. So far I love it.

At the beginning of my manual typewriter search, I was looking for something with the classic glass keys, but they were all by no means 'portable' and the price was too high for my taste.

I was originally appalled by thought of having something that was neither black nor had glass keys. But the Mercury just caught my eye as something more modern that I might actually like. 

In terms of function it works beautifully and it is surprisingly small. With the case on, its no more than 2 inches thick and the keyboard end is 1.5 inches thick. The portability of this thing is beyond what I would have ever imagined in a typewriter. I can fit this typewriter and all my books for the day in a backpack and still have room and it isn't heavy at all.

Now I am not one for typewriting in class per say. That will be too distracting for other students. But for inbetween, before, and after classes outside in the university park. That is where I hope my Mercury will be of use.

Board footera