You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-10-2014 21:25:50  #151

Re: New Member Thread

Hello-

I'm Ektagraphic. I am new here on the forum and am very excited to have found this forum. 

I enjoy manual machines very much and find electric ones fun from time to time. I have an Olympia SM9, and recently obtained an SG1. I am very much a fan of Olympias.  I also have a Smith Corona Clipper and a Royal Safari. Oh, and I have a Smith Corona Electra C/T, which I threw away the ribbon spools for when I was much younger...and it seems that they do not make this size any more...For a few reasons, I don't really care for the Royal Safari, and it has sort of turned me away from Royal machines. I would love to try an IBM Selectric. 

08-10-2014 22:04:25  #152

A big welcome to Ektagraphic. I was a hard-core Kodachrome user back in the day when typewriters were still common. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-10-2014 21:14:00  #153

Ektagraphic wrote:

...For a few reasons, I don't really care for the Royal Safari, and it has sort of turned me away from Royal machines.

Don't turn away so quickly! I would agree that the Safari line is pretty mediocre at best- at the time it was manufactured most Royals were a bit.. well, they weren't great. However, Royals from the 40's and 50's are some of my favorite typers. My KMM and Quiet De Luxe are two of my best machines, but I would recommend any Royals from that era. 

Oh, and welcome to Typewriter Talk! 

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (09-10-2014 21:14:55)

09-10-2014 22:26:52  #154

Totally agreed.  The 50's Royal Quiet Deluxe is one of my favorite portables.

10-10-2014 12:08:04  #155

I must add that I miss Kodachrome! Still shooting Tri-X and the like over here!....I certainly would be open to giving other Royals a try! I just haven't had a chance to use one of their older machines. Thanks for the welcome!

31-10-2014 12:33:09  #156

Hello everyone,

New member and short time lurker. I am currently cleaning up an Underwood Standard (11 I think) and a Royall HH. The newest member is a Royal Arrow portable that is being cleaned up and prepped for my 10 year old daughter. She has been asking for a "typewriter with a ribbon" for months now and will finally get her own this year. I am currently fighting with my other personalities to keep from calling the woman who believes I am going to pay $85 for her Olivetti Studio 44.

31-10-2014 12:59:00  #157

Welcome aboard CaptMorganism! The gunwales be runnin' red with the blood of typewriters matey. Ar! 

It would be interesting to see a photo of that Underwood so we can identify it (you can post one if you like in the Standard Typewriters sub-forum). The Royal HH and Arrow are great machines, but the Studio 44? Personally, I find it has a dismal type action (I have two of them) and wouldn't spend half that amount on one.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-10-2014 17:19:41  #158

I actually really like my 44 (technically, its been re labeled an Underwood 21). I think the action is very smooth and yet it has a nice firmness about it. However, I would never pay over $60 for one, unless it has some special perk like a script typeface. It would be worth checking the typeface on it, Olivettis seem to often have surprises.

02-11-2014 08:18:15  #159

Thanks Uwe, I made an attempt at a photo post but am not yet an acheiver... Maybe it is because I am using a link from my One Drive storage.

02-11-2014 11:44:08  #160

You have to upload the photo to a website such as flickr first. Check this thread out. http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=10 I had a hard time too. 

Board footera