You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2015 10:37:18  #181

Re: New Member Thread

Hell of an introduction post Kat! And that's quite a diverse and interesting collection you've already built for yourself. Don't worry about the ones that don't work; patience, time, and effort will sort them out. Welcome (officially)!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2015 18:19:25  #182

Heh. Yes, sorry, and with so many typos! I just got going once I started describing the lovely typewriters ;) 

20-1-2015 10:59:21  #183

Uwe,
Always fun to meet a fan, I am not the real one but I am also a fan. Of all his albums, I think my favorate is Get Behind the Mule.
Tom

20-1-2015 17:25:35  #184

That is sure one fantastic story you got there Kat! Surely beats mine. And I'm glad to see another die-hard Olympia fan! They're my absolute favorite typewriter company. Then it's Royal. But I can't wait to see how your book turns out, good luck!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

03-2-2015 18:25:39  #185

Hi, I'm Nelson from Atlanta, Georgia here in the States. Thanks for letting me come aboard!

I'm a bit of a novice to typewriters, but I'm learning so much as I do more research and get more typewriters. The spark came to me when someone commented on how strange it is that I type only using three fingers of each hand. I decided to learn touch typing (my teacher would be so proud) and decided the best way to do it was to go all-in. Someone gave me a Smith-Corona Clipper, and after I was hooked from the first keystroke. I've acquired a few more machines since, but I find myself gravitating back to that Clipper. I'm not much help as far as repairs go-- in fact, I'm sure I'll be asking a ton of questions. Thanks again!

04-2-2015 11:01:14  #186

Hi Nelson, welcome to TT! Glad to have you here and I for one am looking forward to reading more about your budding collection.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-2-2015 09:24:36  #187

Hi Nelson - that's interesting. For me the sudden need fr a typewriter came before the desire to retrain my typing. Though that followed only seconds later. For me the two are inextricably linked, as it is like wanting to get a real violin when you've been using music software. The actual physical typing is a real revelation to me, especially as I write for a living! And the machines, I'm in love with them. Hope we can see your typewriters soon...

05-2-2015 22:44:11  #188

After reading all of these fascinating stories of how people got interested in typewriters, I will introduce myself.

My name is Diane, I'm almost 47 and I don't own a typewriter yet.    i am in the metropolitan St. Louis, Missouri area.

I have asked my parents if I can have their manual one, a Royal Quiet Deluxe white.  I learned to type in a college class I took during high school.  My parents put up with me doing my typing homework on Saturday mornings.  I would put a Culture Club album on my record player, put my headphones on and type to that music.  I thought it was good typing music the same way that a-Ha is good creative writing music (for some purposes anyway) and I still use it for that purpose today. 

Anyway, I got the bug for a typewriter after seeing a video on FPN about a shop in Vancouver, BC that had a letter writing club where the people came to type letters on typewriters in the shop.

I think it is interesting that I was introduced to this forum via FPN and to FPN via APUG (photography forum).  I enjoy using large format cameras and fountain pens.  I love hockey and enjoy taking pictures at the games.  Sorry for the long introduction.

Forgot to say that I love Hogan's Heroes. :D

Last edited by colrehogan (05-2-2015 22:48:38)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

06-2-2015 10:25:08  #189

Hi Diane, glad you joined us.We don't get a lot of hockey-luvin', large format camera shooters here. ;-) And those references to '80s bands was funny. You certainly don't need to own a typewriter to participate here, just an interest in the machines. However, I'm sure it won't be long before you add an additional soundtrack to your home, the nostalgic clack and ding of a good old typewriter.

06-2-2015 12:47:26  #190

I'm looking forward to it. I might have some cats who want to be on the typewriter.  That should be interesting in that they have never seen or heard one. The keys moving will certainly get some attention at least initially.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera