You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-5-2015 19:45:22  #231

Re: New Member Thread

Spazmelda wrote:

Hello typewriterguru!  There seem to be more and more Selectric collectors. Selec-tors? Welcome to the board

Thank you.  Someone must be interested in them as I keep seeing more of them on sites like eBay.  I think the type ball with all of the characters on it is fascinating to people.

12-5-2015 19:48:55  #232

When I was growing up, we had a Canon Typemate in the house.  It was a small portable typewriter with thermal printing.  It could do a lot but thermal printing never seemed to go anywhere with typewriters.  Now it seems all of the modern cash registers are thermal.

12-5-2015 20:47:23  #233

typewriterguru wrote:

When I was growing up, we had a Canon Typemate in the house. It was a small portable typewriter with thermal printing. It could do a lot but thermal printing never seemed to go anywhere with typewriters. Now it seems all of the modern cash registers are thermal.

I have a Typestar 5, and it is one of the handiest machines I have. It's a very basic electronic typewriter but still has many nice features. However, it is quiet and very small--smaller than the laptop on which I am typing on. It even takes batteries, making it very convinient to use. I am surprised thermal printing didn't go far for typewriters. The printer is very primitive on my Typestar and produces poor work compared to contemporary electronic typewriters of the time, but one would think the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages. I wish they still made ribbon cartridges for my machine, but alas I only have one and for that reason I rarely use the beloved Typestar.

12-5-2015 23:04:28  #234

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

typewriterguru wrote:

When I was growing up, we had a Canon Typemate in the house. It was a small portable typewriter with thermal printing. It could do a lot but thermal printing never seemed to go anywhere with typewriters. Now it seems all of the modern cash registers are thermal.

I have a Typestar 5, and it is one of the handiest machines I have. It's a very basic electronic typewriter but still has many nice features. However, it is quiet and very small--smaller than the laptop on which I am typing on. It even takes batteries, making it very convinient to use. I am surprised thermal printing didn't go far for typewriters. The printer is very primitive on my Typestar and produces poor work compared to contemporary electronic typewriters of the time, but one would think the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages. I wish they still made ribbon cartridges for my machine, but alas I only have one and for that reason I rarely use the beloved Typestar.

Have you looked on eBay for ribbons? I saw some on there for the Typestar a couple of days ago.

13-5-2015 19:07:06  #235

typewriterguru wrote:

Have you looked on eBay for ribbons? I saw some on there for the Typestar a couple of days ago.

Looks like there are a few! However, I'm not going to be paying $40 for a single ribbon- that's 8 times what I paid on the Typestar itself ;)

13-5-2015 19:15:05  #236

Hello and welcome!
I have been toying with the idea of a Selectric.  I hear many good reports, and like the idea of the interchangable typefaces.  Maybe one day.

Sincerely,
beak.

22-5-2015 12:09:16  #237

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum.
I used to play with my mom's Olivetti when I was younger. I didn't really like the typeface though, it was big and spaced. I recently got one for myself, an Olympia Traveller Deluxe. I wanted a portable one as I don't have much space and need to move it often. I admit I was drawn to it by the pretty color, it's a lovely blue version. It's a great machine though with a neat typeface, I could spend days on it if it wasn't for the shoulder ache.

I'd also like to ask someone with experience if they can date my typewriter, it has a really odd serial number that looks like a binary code...

22-5-2015 15:42:17  #238

Hello and welcome to TT, ninive! Why not start a new thread in the Portables sub-forum with a photo of your Olympia's serial number - and maybe a few of its lovely blue case, especially of the back. I'm sure we'll be able to tell you when it was made. As for the shoulder ache, are you getting this when you type? Maybe you should check out the posture post for typing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-5-2015 09:09:25  #239

Thanks, I actually always sit the wrong way. I try to keep my back straight but after some time that I'm concentrated on my writing I find myself bending forward. Now I mainly just write for shorter sessions.
I don't do that only with writing, I while ago I was painting down on the living room table and before knowing my shoulders ached terribly. But since I'm quite stubborn I stayed there until I finished.
I even tried wearing a corset, that's basically the only thing that can keep my back straight...

I just posted, the number is inside not easy to photograph so I also wrote it down. I saw a few other colored versions said to be made in the 70s, but the number on mine is weird so I'd like someone to tell me.

24-5-2015 14:30:53  #240

Thanks for adding me to the Forum!

I am new to Typewriter repair/cleaning.
Purchased my Underwood No. 5 for $10.00 last weekend and
have been cleaning and oiling ever since to bring her back up to service.
I ordered a ribbon this morning on eBay and have a decal set on order also.

I am a WWII Living History Re-enactor and want the typewriter for my Schreiber (clerk) impression.

At present it has almost all black keys without any letters?
I what to replace those black keys with the proper letter keys in the near future.

The only problem the typewriter appears to have is that the space bar and letter keys, when depressed,
will not space nor forward the carriage?

~ Repairing my Underwood Standard No. 5E ~
                   and learning as I go!

Board footera