You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-5-2015 17:35:19  #241

Re: New Member Thread

Hello Rilhardr and welcome to TT! I'd suggest starting a new thread with your questions as this thread is mostly just to allow new members to introduce themselves. You can either start a thread in the Standards sub-forum to discuss your needs for a re-enactment typewriter, or the Maintenance & Repairs sub-forum to get advice on fixing your machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-5-2015 05:33:04  #242

Thanks for the welcome and I posted a sub thread about my typewriter yesterday. 

~ Repairing my Underwood Standard No. 5E ~
                   and learning as I go!

27-5-2015 10:25:23  #243

Hi everyone,

Never good at these introductions, but here goes.

I collect antique fountain pens, telephones, and Aladdin mantle lamps.

After researching pen advertisments during the 19-teens, came across one for a typewriter.

Here I am!  Sounds fun & used to type on a Smith Corona portable many moons ago.

The problem now is conflicting information (some of it 5 years out of date) on the web, and on Etsy-- decals...

Uh oh... sounds like misleading or what we call franken-pens or franken-phones.  Someone has painted an item up all nice & shiney, put repro decal(s) on it, and now advertising it as "mint."

Maybe "Buyers Beware" so I signed up here to get educated before I buy.

Thanks for reading

--Brian

27-5-2015 19:32:29  #244

I've been buying/selling and tinkering with typewriters for about 10 years now. Around 2013, I sold the last few I still had, but have recently been bitten by the bug again. I've always enjoyed the mechanical complexity, affordability, history, and visual design of these great old machines. They are all little (or sometimes NOT so little) works of mechanical art. 

I've always had a thing for the colorful, portable models from the 20s/30s and 50s/60s. One of my favorite models is the Olympia SM8/9, and I was recently fortunate enough to pick up another nice Olympia portable to replace the one I sold a while back. There are so many great typewriters out there, and I kick myself for passing on so many of them over the last decade. Anyway, I look forward to reading, learning, and sharing on this forum!!!

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

28-5-2015 20:19:59  #245

Retro-Z wrote:

I've been buying/selling and tinkering with typewriters for about 10 years now. Around 2013, I sold the last few I still had, but have recently been bitten by the bug again. I've always enjoyed the mechanical complexity, affordability, history, and visual design of these great old machines. They are all little (or sometimes NOT so little) works of mechanical art. 

I've always had a thing for the colorful, portable models from the 20s/30s and 50s/60s. One of my favorite models is the Olympia SM8/9, and I was recently fortunate enough to pick up another nice Olympia portable to replace the one I sold a while back. There are so many great typewriters out there, and I kick myself for passing on so many of them over the last decade. Anyway, I look forward to reading, learning, and sharing on this forum!!!

Cool.  If I run into problems with a Royal #10 I got off e-bay (assuming it survives the post office) maybe you can help me out.

The Olympia SM8/9's look uhmm... more portable?  ; D

Typewriters are making a comeback?  Recent local news story featured group of students meeting at a coffee house with their portables and typing away.  Looked like they were having fun. 

29-5-2015 07:05:36  #246

BrianE, the SM8.9s are more portable! But even more portable than those are the Splendids - their baby siblings - which are lovely and compact and still easy to type on. Right now I'm all about my Hermes Baby, too, a 1961 model.

Typewriters have not yet hit coffee shops here in London, for the most part. The hatred of hipsters is so advanced here - I live just half a mile from hipster central - that I think I'd never dare. Though on the occasions when I've gone to collect one, and have taken it immediately to the nearest coffee shop just to tinker and see how it was, I've often had great conversations with people. The rule of thumb is that the less trendy the area, the more intrigued and friendly people are about your typewriter. 

Even with a quiet one I'd be worried about bothering people.

29-5-2015 07:53:23  #247

I had never really run into hipsters before until we visited Chicago for spring break.  We went to this place called Eataly, which was neat, but as my daughter said, "mom, I think we are in a Hipster Habitat!"  I'm still not really sure what they are all about.  I googled, but I couldn't make much out of it except they like to wear a mix of expensive vintage looking clothing, and actual vintage clothing, and like things like typewriters, gearless bicycles, and music most people have never heard of.  Most of the articles I found were filled with disdain for the hipster.

My husband has suggested that I should take one of my large typewriters to Starbucks. Either the Woodstock or the Underwood.  That would be quite a sight.  I'm not brave enough to do that.

Last edited by Spazmelda (29-5-2015 07:54:32)

29-5-2015 12:50:52  #248

Hahaha! Great idea. The whole hipster project is about appeopriating things that used to be inexpensive - like, say, old clothes - and making them more expensive. The lo-fi thing is part of it. Unfortunately I fell foul of this when attempting to get some typewriters fixed ain a hipster typewriter shop in Shoreditch...

29-5-2015 13:02:44  #249

Never heard of hipsters before you guys started mentioning them. :D

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

29-5-2015 15:59:14  #250

I actually brought my l969 Royal 200 to a local coffee shop one time a few months ago. The ones on computers were not amused... (heh heh.)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera