You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-11-2015 20:13:07  #351

Re: New Member Thread

I've got regular universal spools on a Remingon Letter-Riter, with is very similar to the Quiet-Riter, I think.  They are they type of spools with the middles that pop out, and with them popped out, they fit just fine on the machine.  Just a minute and I'll post a pic of what I mean.

04-11-2015 20:18:16  #352

Like these, see how the middle of the spool is separate.  It pops out to make a bigger hole. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Typewriter-Ribbon-Twin-Spool-Black-Ink-1-2-Cloth-Ribbon-New-Unused-/151565482753

04-11-2015 20:19:41  #353

Gah, I hate that we can't edit anymore.  Another option is to just get ribbon and wind it on the spools that were already in the Quiet-Riter, assuming it does have spools.

04-11-2015 20:45:54  #354

Spazmelda wrote:

Gah, I hate that we can't edit anymore.  Another option is to just get ribbon and wind it on the spools that were already in the Quiet-Riter, assuming it does have spools.

It does have the spools, but I think the center of my new ribbon pops out, actually. Thank you, I was going to skip right to the messy business of winding it onto the new spools, but now I'll definitely try the easier option first!

05-11-2015 00:48:28  #355

Welcome!

05-11-2015 02:44:47  #356

welcome, wurdsmith! I have some of those big hole spools and looking for a typer (eventually, some day) to go with them!

06-11-2015 11:22:58  #357

I bought an Underwood typewriter, and I think it belongs to the fifth series. Unfortunately, quite worn but I think it was made around 1917-18. I do not know where to find your serial number!Where are you located? To do so, please help! Thank you.

06-11-2015 12:27:03  #358

tarnagy wrote:

I do not know where to find your serial number!Where are you located? 

The serial number for your Underwood should be stamped on the outside frame of the typewriter to the right of the right ribbon spool.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-11-2015 10:49:02  #359

wurdsmith wrote:

Spazmelda wrote:

It does have the spools, but I think the center of my new ribbon pops out, actually. Thank you, I was going to skip right to the messy business of winding it onto the new spools, but now I'll definitely try the easier option first!

I've rewound several ribbons now and it's actually not that messy at all: I captivate the old spool on a first pocket screwdriver clamped in a vice and I hold the take up spool on a second pocket screwdriver in my hand, and spin this spool with my other hand. I'm sure there are a dozen Rube-Goldberg schemes you could think up, but this one works for me. I seriously get more ink on my fingers threading a ribbon past the ribbon vibrator!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

21-11-2015 18:04:36  #360

I've rewound several ribbons .....................

I have a piece of wood 8" x 3" (but size flexible) with two nails driven through it about 5" apart.   Works a treat and not messy.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera