You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-4-2016 00:30:49  #431

Re: New Member Thread

I have complete empathy with your views on technology. I'm tired of the built-in obsolescence, and being stuck on the hamster wheel of software and hardware updates. It was certainly one of the reasons that I got into typewriters too, and for me nothing feeds the soul like sitting down with my morning coffee and getting to work with the typewriter that I've picked out for the day. Typewriters are always ready to work when I am, they never have to boot up, never crash and lose all of my work, and they don't even run up the hydro bill. (As an aside, there's a certain smug feeling I get when there's a power failure and the only thing that I need to do to keep on working - as long as I want - is to light a candle).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-4-2016 15:40:41  #432

Hei all, 

I've always wanted to get my hands on a typewriter. Something about the simplicity and genuineness of the machine always spoke to me. So finally after a lot of searching, I've acquired a Remington 10S. It was in quite a state of neglect, all covered in dust and probably hadn't been used for decades. But with a bit of TLC it's back in shape.  Alas, it came without any ribbon and due to my lack of knowledge of this beautiful yet old machine, I'm not sure [u]what kind of ribbon fits with it. If anyone who knows the answer to this could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated as I plan to use this to type a sort of gift to my fiancé!

03-4-2016 21:53:17  #433

Welcome to the forum. It's best to ask such questions in the appropriate sub-forum, and I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "10S". I assume that you're talking about a standard Remington Model 10? That particular model spanned a few decades, so it would be best to know what year your machine was manufactured in order to provide a concise answer. The ribbon itself will be the common typewriter ribbon (13 mm - ½") that you can buy practically anywhere, but it will need a specific set of Remington spools. If your machine still has the proper spools then you only need to buy ribbon and transfer it to your Remington's spools.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-4-2016 22:43:08  #434

What a great image of you typing away by candlelight in a power failure, Uwe

Hamster wheel of updates is a great way to describe that as well. And you just never know what an update is going to do to your device or software. Nobody can force me to install an unwanted functionality change onto a typewriter! What a relief.

04-4-2016 04:27:27  #435

Hello, everyone.

New member here.  I'm an older guy who learned to type in Grade 11 in the 70's using what I think was an Olympia SG3.  (Memory is dim.) The course was actually called "Typing 9" and was held in a classroom full of the Olympias.  I wonder what happened to them all.  

Armed with my newfound skill, I asked my parents to buy me a typewriter for essays and written homework assignments.  They bought me a mustard yellow Brother Charger 11.  It took me through the rest of high school and the first couple of years of university.  

At some point (3rd year?) I received a Commodore 64 and a dot-matrix printer.  And from that point on, the little Brother took a backseat; word-processing on a computer allowed easier editing.

Fast forward several decades and I came across my Brother languishing in a crawlspace. I slipped a sheet of paper into the platen and was rewarded with several minutes of fun.  After so many years, the ribbon still allowed words to faintly register.  Quaint, but marked in contrast to the likely result had I tried operating a 30-year-old computer and printer.

A couple of years later, a road trip into Astoria, Oregon landed me in an antique store where I came across a big old Underwood.  As much as my rediscovery of my little Brother rekindled fond memories, the big Underwood had such a mind-blowing mechanical feel that I HAD to buy it.  Not sure why.  I had not been bitten by the typewriter bug at that time.  I guess, it's my love of mechanical marvels.  $50.

Over the past few years, the typewriter disease (I kid--I really mean "passion") started to take hold and I've since picked up at various antique and thrift stores, a couple more pieces.  Portables, simply because I don't have that much room.  

Currently in my stable (in addition to the Brother and the Underwood):  a Hermes 2000 that works 100% and an Olympia SM1 that the keys are all stuck or slow-moving but which I couldn't resist for $20.  The Olympia remains a project for a rainy day.

Being just a beginner, I'm very happy to have come across this forum.   Lots of info here.  Lots of things to learn.  Thanks for creating this, Uwe. 

04-4-2016 09:13:47  #436

Welcome, fingertapper!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

04-4-2016 13:08:11  #437

fingertapper wrote:

Fast forward several decades and I came across my Brother languishing in a crawlspace.

I can only imagine the reaction of someone unfamiliar with typewriter manufacturer names if they were to read that sentence...

The Charger 11 is a nice machine and represented good value when it was originally sold. I enjoy reading about typewriters that are reunited with appreciative, original owners who practiced too many years of abstinence. I suppose the older you are, the better the chance that your old machine was something interesting; in my case the typewriter from my school days was an electric Smith-Corona, a good typewriter in its own right, but not a very inspiring one for a collector of mechanical models.

06-4-2016 04:29:57  #438

Thanks for the welcome!  It's interesting, my young niece (a precious 10-year-old) has discovered my little Brother Charger and has insisted that she gets to take it over.  I'm in the process of cleaning it up and finding a ribbon for it so that she experiences it in its best light.

Of course, the Charger's spot in the rotation will have to be replaced...  
:-)

06-4-2016 09:12:24  #439

Hi fingertapper and welcome! Congratulations on the 10-year-old niece - the kids who get hooked on these machines are really quite a big part of the pleasure, I've found.  And of course you will now need to find another machine for your own purposes... oh dear... ;)

06-4-2016 10:34:45  #440

Hello fingertapper and welcome to the board

Board footera