You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2016 06:38:22  #451

Re: New Member Thread

Yep, the TWDB stares over my shoulder too... I think I have two machines on there but SO many more that need to be. Including a couple that aren't represented on the database, so I feel a bit of a responsibility... 

12-4-2016 09:59:40  #452

KatLondon wrote:

Including a couple that aren't represented on the database... 

Which two, Kat? I'm very far behind in my additions as well and hope to get caught up some time this summer when I reorganize the collection. The problem - for me - is not having photos and type samples for so many machines. One day...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-4-2016 12:44:08  #453

My Japy that I had, and the two-tone Adler Special - both now alas sold, but both to good homes. I have others that I think aren't on there, like the Swissa Piccola, and I think there isn't a Groma Modell T of the same type as mine - there are actually a surprising number of particular machines that no one has yet recorded on the site. 

And I'm with you, the onerous thing is the need to get each one out (we talked about less-than-straightforward storage!), find/record the serial number (my records are patchy), and do the type sample. And not all my machines have ribbons in at the same time, so the whole undertaking feels like a terrible faff!

12-4-2016 22:03:27  #454

I had made type samples and they managed to get lost in the piles here.  Have to find them.  Might be easier to just re-do.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

21-4-2016 22:15:55  #455

Greetings,
I'm 52,  from New Jersey and have been retired for 1 year. I grew up using manuals in high school & college. One day in 1993, I saw a cleaning company emptying out the house of a recently deceased person. One guy had a large manual he was about to toss into a dumpster. I asked could I have it and he gave it to me. It was a Smith Corona Super-Speed, in pretty good working condition. I brought it home and that was the beginning. After that, I began to bring more home until one day I was told, "who do you need so many of these? Don't bring any more typewriters home!!" Now that I am divorced, they are back in the house.

My current inventory is 14 machines, manuals. My oldest is a Wellington that I found at an antiques store.  I am always looking around for interesting machines and have a wish list that includes a Royal Model O and a Smith Corona Corsair, because I used to have one. I almost had a Corsair, but the dealer in the antique store saw how excited I was to purchase it and it all of a sudden was "not for sale"!! 

I came across this forum by accident but I am excited to be a part of it. I hope to learn a lot, and I already spend most of the night reading through forums. I don't personally know anyone who shares my love of manuals, and none of my friends understand why I get so excited about them. I am happy to virtually be around others who love them like I do!

Smiling is universal.

22-4-2016 15:56:50  #456

Welcome to the forum Sticky Keys! Glad to see another New Jersey man such as myself around here. (If you don't mind me asking, are you from north, central, or south Jersey?)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

04-5-2016 18:54:06  #457

Hello! My name is Dee from Nebraska,  I just got a typewriter at an antique mall. I am now looking at everything I can so I can know how to clean it up and get it fully functional. It is quickly becoming an obsession. ;) It is a Smith Corona Tower, from what I have found I think it was made in the 50's, not sure on that score. I look forward to chatting with all of you!

04-5-2016 19:05:37  #458

Welcome to Typewriter Talk, Dee. 

Tower was a Sears brand name, and appeared on typewriters that were made by several different manufacturers, Smith-Corona being one of them. If you want more information about your typewriter you can post a photo of it in the Portables sub-forum; given the model we'll be able to tell you where to locate its serial number, and from that we'll know the year it was made. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-5-2016 19:40:43  #459

I will! Thank you.

10-5-2016 07:50:04  #460

Im a new member, obviously my name is ben, and ive been interested in typewriters for a couple of years now. I have a KHM and a Senior Companion, and I bought both of them for 50 or less. I started out typing on my grandparents IBM selectric. Live in michigan.

Board footera