You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-5-2016 19:09:00  #481

Re: New Member Thread

Repartee wrote:

Gary wrote:

...I used them in the classroom as a teacher for keyboard skills and composition, with grades 5/6, and have thought that the finger motion associated with typing supports brain activity and creativity...

Hi Gary. I agree, and I noticed this firsthand when I made it a point to type so much everyday. They stimulate thought. And record it too!

My friend has a son who has been having a hard time in school. Those so-called experts say that he has ADHD. I gifted him a typewriter. He loves it and his mother said his spelling has improved.

19-5-2016 22:00:10  #482

Steiner, who designed the Waldorf schools, and about a hundred other things, really believed in the finger motion thing, and had his students knitting during lectures.  Seems to work.

20-5-2016 16:58:53  #483

Gary wrote:

Steiner, who designed the Waldorf schools, and about a hundred other things, really believed in the finger motion thing, and had his students knitting during lectures.  Seems to work. 

I am a little disappointed that knitting might work as well. I can't picture a hard boiled writer drinking and knitting while dictating. Just does not have the same romance!

Relation of finger movement to thought is plausible given that evolutionary growth in brain capacity might be attributed to the development of language and to tool use. So what could be better for thinking than a tool that you manipulate with your fingers that records language?    

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

23-5-2016 07:00:58  #484

Sorry for being offline for awhile. I was on a trip. Answering your question, I'm 13 1/2. A common family outing for us is to go to an antique mall or a festival. I picked up both of them there.

27-5-2016 15:20:50  #485

Hi! I´ve been a bit of a lurker around the Typosphere except for what I´ve been posting at the TWDB. Now I think it´s time to get a bit more involved, or at least to extend things a little further than just submitting typewriters, and this is the best place to tell a bit about me.

I don´t know if there are more people from Spain around here, and if not, then I´d be the first! I live between Valladolid and a small village near the city, and my interest in typewriters started around 2011 - 2012 when my girlfriend´s grandfather passed away. His typewriter (an Olivetti Leterra 32) was going to be discarded because no one knew what to do with that useless piece of junk, but I decided to keep it because somehow I felt it plainly wrong to throw it away. Then I just tried to write a bit with it, and that was it. No stopping since then, and as for May 2016 I have around 110 typewriters in my collection. I firmly believe each model has its own quirks, so they´re all valuable and everything is welcome.

The best part of it is the continuous learning process. Apart from the "pure" typewriter lore, there´s the technical part, the historical part, the social part... So many things to learn!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

27-5-2016 17:55:20  #486

Hi, Javi. Not sure if as a relatively new member myself I have standing to welcome you, but welcome! It is nice to hear from somebody in Spain and I hope you stick around. Countries of the former British Commonwealth are a bit over-represented. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

28-5-2016 01:53:32  #487

Welcome! 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

28-5-2016 12:51:27  #488

Hi Javi, that sounds like a hell of a collection you've got! This is one place where you don't need to worry about people thinking you're strange - we like obsessives here. And I like what you say about having so much to learn about - that's definitely part of the appeal! 

Have you read Richard Polt's newish book, The Typewriter Revolution? You might like it.  

29-5-2016 05:09:10  #489

So far I´m trying to get a REAL one, because the only ones available in Spain so far are digital copies. But yeah, I´m sure I´m going to enjoy it!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

29-5-2016 08:32:47  #490

Hello everyone, I just joined this forum and I thought I'd introduce myself before I start bombarding you all with questions about how to repair my typewriters.
I'm a 36 years old experimental scientist and I live in the UK. I got into typewriters very recently - maybe two months ago, I'm not quite sure what triggered it but it makes perfect sense considering my profile. I'm curious by nature, I love fixing things and I love old technology. So here I am, with a small collection of half working typewriters, scouring the internet for 'how to' tips on removing platens and fixing alignment issues. Naturally, I stumbled upon this forum.
Helloooo

Board footera