You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-5-2016 08:58:21  #491

Re: New Member Thread

Hello and welcome.  What machines do you have?

Sincerely,
beak.

29-5-2016 09:22:11  #492

Hello and thank you
The one that started it all was a pretty orange coloured Adler Contessa de Luxe that I fixed up a bit and resold to make room. I have now an Olivetti Lettera 32, an Olympia Splendid 66 (cursive script), Adler Tippa1; Smith-Corona Sterling ('50s model), Royal Quiet deLuxe (late '40s model) and finally an Olympia SM9. The last three are in various states of disrepair.

29-5-2016 12:39:45  #493

Welcome to the forum!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

30-5-2016 05:24:01  #494

Thanks

01-6-2016 16:40:52  #495

Hi aliut, there are a small group of us here in the UK - I'm in London and a couple of others appear to be around Cambridge and so on... you've got an intriguing little collection! I'm very fond of the Olympias. 

01-6-2016 17:45:11  #496

Hi Kat, me I'm hailing from Didcot City, known for its railway junction, railway museum and, power stations .
Thank you, I think that right now I'm in a discovery phase, where I'm trying out different typewriter models that I read good things about. I don't think I'll be able to keep them all, but I'm enjoying the craziness while it lasts. I do find the SM9 to be wonderful to type on, I've even started to improve my opinion about it's chunky appearance.

02-6-2016 21:12:12  #497

Greetings Typewriter Friends:

I'm from Portland and am new to the game. I had a Smith-Corona Classic 12 that was a workhouse when I was a kid. Recently, I wanted a typewriter again to write, and picked up a baby blue Royal silent. Then I was hooked, and grabbed a Olympia SM7 from early 60s, and a Royal FP (57) a real monster--love it.  All of these I purchased refurbished at my local shop Bluemoon in PDX, which is a good thing, because I don't yet know how to bring back a garage sale machine from the dead.

I'm looking for other machines, but now I want variations in font: I'd love a cursive, and would be delighted if it were an Olympia SM3.

Anyway, it's fun, and I'm glad to find you. Where should I post newbie questions?

Regards
PDX

02-6-2016 21:15:11  #498

Sorry--I have an Olympia SM9, not 7! :-)

02-6-2016 21:26:16  #499

pdxtypewriter wrote:

Greetings Typewriter Friends:

I'm from Portland and am new to the game. I had a Smith-Corona Classic 12 that was a workhouse when I was a kid. Recently, I wanted a typewriter again to write, and picked up a baby blue Royal silent. Then I was hooked, and grabbed a Olympia SM7 from early 60s, and a Royal FP (57) a real monster--love it.  All of these I purchased refurbished at my local shop Bluemoon in PDX, which is a good thing, because I don't yet know how to bring back a garage sale machine from the dead.

I'm looking for other machines, but now I want variations in font: I'd love a cursive, and would be delighted if it were an Olympia SM3.

Anyway, it's fun, and I'm glad to find you. Where should I post newbie questions?

Regards
PDX

There are different places in the index, and different threads, where you would place questions.  If you have something you're curious about a typewriter, and it's a portable, place your question in the portable typewriters section.  Look if there is a thread where you can place your question.  If there isn't start a new thread.  Newbies all the way to the Moderator can place questions (and answers) in the very same places.  The only thing that distinguishes any of us, apart from geographic location and the kinds of typewriters we want to own and that we do own, is the number of posts we've placed.  We all come here to impart knowledge, show off our typewriters, and to ask each other questions about our typewriters, to name a few things.  Oh, and there are parts exchanges and what-not.  So feel free to ask anything you want about your typewriters, find the section you need, and ask away.  After awhile, you'll find lots of answers for your questions.  If you get confused and need the only right answer, just ask me (har har har!! Just kidding!!)  Anyway, welcome aboard and share with us!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

16-6-2016 15:12:17  #500

Hello fellow typewriter addicts,

also just joined this forum and hoping to learn how to properly handle typewriters. I started to get interested in the topic when I saw some old and rusted typewriters (don’t remember which ones) on a market for antiquities nearby; some weeks later it dropped into my mind how cool it would be to actually use one, but since the market was over I glanced over ebay and acquired my Continental 100 typewriter. I have since been writing some letters on it and I find it fairly fun (once I managed to find out how the margin and tab stop lever worked). I was surprised to find that there are actually people who have addicted themselves to these handsome machines, so I thought it’s best to join here and take part in the typewriting community.

Any recommendations for me as a German to check out? Blogs to follow, possible local communities?

Greetings
sirius

Board footera