You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-9-2016 11:33:56  #531

Re: New Member Thread

Yes, edit is a function too far, I think it used to cause Uwe all sorts of headaches. But I thought you meant 'fix'!

25-9-2016 16:14:37  #532

My first post to this forum
I rather like mechanical things, especially manually powered such as sewing machines & typewriters & gramophones. 
I own three typewriters:
Silver Reed 100 in orange. Very 1970s and it was my 18th birthday present in 1977. It has been well used resulting in rather worn keytips.
Corona 3 folding: Church jumble purchase back on the 1980s
Adler Tippa: Belonged to my late mother in law

All the typewriters work more or less and have had a basic clean this weekend. I was surprised to find that I could get ribbons for all of them. 
I've used them for typing address labels & completing forms.
When you look at the typewriter afresh they do beat a word processor for things such as ad hoc labels, forms, envelopes and paper size smaller than A4.

Judging from the various blogs it seems that young people buy them which rather puzzles me but then using a typewriter does rather focus the mind and helps voids the distractions of emails & the web.
The web has however been very helpful  in finding out about typewriters. I found a manual for the Corona 3 and found that the ribbon was threaded incorrectly.

I intend to use typewriters more often from now on.

25-9-2016 16:39:10  #533

Hello, OGB, this is TK (TypewriterKing) here.  Sounds like you have the right philosophy.  I've used typewriters, well, not quite as long as you have, but I have been using and repairing them for the last 35 years.  I'm mostly an American typewriter expert, but I can usually get a foreign machine going if I can look at it and see what it's doing or not doing.  There are a few things most or all typewriters have in common, and then there are different gears and linkages that perform the same functions--it's just they take different pathways to perform those functions.  It's amazing the number of ways different machines stack letters, numbers, characters, and spaces one after the other on a page.  Fortunes have been won and lost (mostly lost, for the inventors in the early days.  It was said that the quickest way to go broke was to invent a typewriter.  That was in the 1800s when typewriters varied from looking like pianos to working like label makers.  They even had a writing ball, which, if you were going to be able to type 80 words a minute, forget it, unless you palm a bowling ball and had 12" fingers)  Welcome to our humble forum.  I will warn you:  You will meet an occasional typewriter weirdo.  And you've just met one--me!!  Hello.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-9-2016 16:40:19  #534

Welcome, Old Grey Beard!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

25-9-2016 16:45:31  #535

Fleetwing wrote:

Ah, got it. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out -- figured it was a slang term I didn't know.

I think we've all been reading in the Urban Dictionary online a few too many times.  Oh, how our language is changing.  We do have a thread, or maybe several, about that subject and even a few laments on our ever evolving (some would say de-volving) language.  All agree that the King's English just ain't (that used to not be a word, but now it's in the dictionary) what it used to be.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

29-9-2016 14:07:06  #536

Howdy! I'm not a new member, but I'm back after a long absence. Life got busy, and, while the real-life with typewriters went on, my journeys into the Typosphere dwindled. 

My name is Rob. I teach high school and college writing, and I collect typewriters. I have about thirty of the things, many of which I use in my classrooms. I live and work in New Hampshire, USA. 

So, I'm back and glad to be so. I've missed reading the insight and repair tips from the people here. 

I thought I'd share something fun. In the spring, the AP Art class at my high school borrowed my typewriters to use as models for their portfolios. Here are some of the results.

Edit: Fixed incorrect image links (Uwe)

Last edited by Uwe (29-9-2016 17:14:42)

01-10-2016 12:16:37  #537

Thanks for fixing those links, Use. I will aim to do better next time.

02-10-2016 21:26:43  #538

For me this typewriter thing is getting pretty bad. I started out with a flea-market-find, thirty dollar, fifties-era Royal Quiet DeLuxe. Shortly thereafter I went to my first estate auction where I purchased what looks to me like a catalogue-issued and stripped down version of the Royal Futura called the "All-American."

I can't recommend estate auctions highly enough. The typewriter bug hadn't fully gotten its teeth in me until I purchased a Royalite for two dollars last week. I really enjoy that machine and as a result of its purchase was inspired to get the "All-American" back out to see if I could fix the carriage-skip issue that had plagued our relationship to that point. (Evidently a lighter touch remedied the issue.) Since then I've been bordering on obsession.

So that's me, my typewriters, and my burgeoning disease. (I'm a serial-comma guy, otherwise it's implied that the last two items have a closer relationship than either one has to the first, right?)

I look forward to becoming a part of this community. Just from browsing around I can already tell that you guys beat the hell out of most motorcycle forum people.   

02-10-2016 23:40:18  #539

Welcome Myshkin! 😊😊😊😄😄

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

04-10-2016 06:41:49  #540

Myshkin wrote:

I can already tell that you guys beat the hell out of most motorcycle forum people.

Just as fanatical, though!

My typewriter collection doesn't have enough $2 Royalites. My best deal, I think, was a $15 Hermes. Congratulations on finding such a bargain. If you feel so inclined, I'd love to see a picture in the "Recent Acquisitions" thread.

Welcome to the forum, anyway

Board footera