You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-1-2017 12:22:41  #551

Re: New Member Thread

Hello all,
I'm Gerrit and I live in Iowa City, where I earned a bachelor's degree in English at the University of Iowa. I currently have two typewriters that I use regularly for creative writing; a 1965 Olivetti Lettera 32 and a 1940 Royal Quiet De Luxe. I also have a 1935 Underwood Noiseless 77, which I plan to restore to working order. Anyway, I'm glad there's such a thing as the typosphere and that this board exists. Nice to meet you all!

04-1-2017 14:45:28  #552

Welcome to TT, Gerrit. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-1-2017 00:16:56  #553

Welcome Gerrit!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

20-1-2017 06:54:44  #554

Hello all, 
Brit living in Japan here. I've gone ahead and ordered my first typewriters: olympia sm9 and olivetti 32. Can't wait to learn to tune them up and use them. 
I'm into fountain pens, vinyl and straight razor shaving. Let's see if i'll add typewriting into the mix. 

Are there any Japanese gems out there? 

Cheers

20-1-2017 08:18:58  #555

Welcome to TT, Mockingbird. 

You'll find that many members here are into fountain pens too. I have a small collection of straight edge razors, but haven't used one in years since I've never figured out how to sharpen them properly (a dull blade is far more dangerous - and painful - than a sharp one).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-1-2017 11:52:52  #556

Hi all,
I'm from Croatia and I have only one typewriter Olympia splendid 33. I hope that one day I'll have collection. I joined forum because I'm new in typewriters and there's noting special that i could find about splendid 33. I hope that maybe I'll find some answers on my question and maybe one day become collector.

P. s. sorry for lot of bad grammar 

25-1-2017 15:43:07  #557

Hi Cropromy - the Splendid is a really nice little typewriter! Olympias are great machines, and I have a couple of these that I really like. Are you enjoying it? 

25-1-2017 16:30:59  #558

Hello,

As my username suggests, I am living quite far north (north of 60). So sometimes it's nice to stay inside and just type and read.

I am in engineering by trade. I like the mechanical aspect of typewriters. As well as the sounds and smells.

My mom bought one for the family when I was a kid growing up in the eighties and nineties. She actually got a few as they used to be auctioned off by the government for dirt cheap and she had always wanted one but couldn't afford them. So when she saw her opportunity, she jumped on it.

I have an Olympia sm3 and I will hopefully be purchasing an Olympia sg1 sometime in the near future. I don't know if that will be enough though.

Hello to everyone!

25-1-2017 17:28:48  #559

Hello! Wow, that is far north. A hint on where you are?

SM3 -- great choice, of course, as is the SG1. Just be very wary of shipping, if you cannot obtain the machine locally. That is true of any typewriter, but especially so for a heavy office machine like the SG1.

(And no; those two won't be enough.)

25-1-2017 17:43:41  #560

Whenever I hear someone reference north of 60, I assume they're in Canada (either in Yukon, Northwest Territories, or Nunavut), but of course Northerner could be in a number of other countries. It would be interesting to find out...

Board footera