You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2017 18:22:24  #561

Re: New Member Thread

You assume correct! I am indeed from the Yukon Territory.

25-1-2017 22:01:51  #562

Well, you come by your "handle" honestly, then! Welcome.

26-1-2017 10:11:53  #563

HI Key Master

I'm very happy with it but it's broken. That's why I joined forum to maybe find how to repair it (carriage wont advance when writing).

26-1-2017 18:40:17  #564

Hello,
I'm a young'un looking to expand my knowledge and skill with typewriters. I have a vivid memory of banging away on my parents' typewriter as a toddler and recently rekindled my desire to type.
I own an Underwood approaching its 70th birthday and a Royal Arrow with a broken 'a' key (working on fixing it). I disassembled most of them to see how they work and successfully repaired and cleaned them. I'm inquiring around to see if I could clean others for a little money and experience. 
Working in/owning a typewriter shop is my future goal.
Looking forward to learning lots here!

26-1-2017 22:48:36  #565

Welcome, and I admire your desire to keep these old campaigners working! Not sure where you might find customers, but maybe there are bookstores in your area, coffee shops, or simply office supply stores where you can post an ad or speak with the manager about pointing work your way, should they get inquiries about who fixes typewriters. For some repairs, you may need specialized tools and, more difficult, replacement parts. That's the real challenge.

Are there any typewriter repair shops in your area, where you could apprentice? 

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so search the archives and see what you can find out.

27-1-2017 00:34:11  #566

SquireDante wrote:

Hello,
I'm a young'un looking to expand my knowledge and skill with typewriters. I have a vivid memory of banging away on my parents' typewriter as a toddler and recently rekindled my desire to type.
I own an Underwood approaching its 70th birthday and a Royal Arrow with a broken 'a' key (working on fixing it). I disassembled most of them to see how they work and successfully repaired and cleaned them. I'm inquiring around to see if I could clean others for a little money and experience. 
Working in/owning a typewriter shop is my future goal.
Looking forward to learning lots here!

I've done this kind of work as a hobby for quite sometime--35+ years,and I never get tired of it.  I've got an Underwood that's older than yours by about a year--Katwoman I call her--because she's got a fairly tall carriage return lever and a thumbpiece on the other side that look alot like cat ears.  Also, she's sleek, black, and has stainless still stripes on either side.  I also took the silver feet "spats" off of a junker Underwood Five and put on her, and she really is the bees knees.  Also my 1949 Royal Arrow--AKA "Daddy Sam," is still a travel buddy of mine.  I've made a few bucks here and there repairing these machines, out of my house, and I've even made housecalls too.  Just get a few tools that can tackle small nuts, bolts, springs, et cetera, and you should have enough to start with.  And remember--you'll always learn something.  I still do after all this time.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

27-1-2017 00:40:23  #567

Fleetwing wrote:

Welcome, and I admire your desire to keep these old campaigners working! Not sure where you might find customers, but maybe there are bookstores in your area, coffee shops, or simply office supply stores where you can post an ad or speak with the manager about pointing work your way, should they get inquiries about who fixes typewriters. For some repairs, you may need specialized tools and, more difficult, replacement parts. That's the real challenge.

Are there any typewriter repair shops in your area, where you could apprentice? 

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so search the archives and see what you can find out.

I never heard the phrase "old campaigners" in reference to typewriters before.  I like that.  If it's so, I must have the makings of an entire caucus.  Parts I mainly get off of old junkers, or I have something machined, or machine something myself.  Sometimes, in the way of specialized tools, I have even had to make a few homemade items.  I got alot of strange stuff--including some old stuff used by some typewriter mechanics I used to know--including one whose sign now hangs up in my bedroom.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

27-1-2017 00:53:37  #568

Unfortunately the last place near me that repaired typewriters closed. I found one guy near Charlotte, NC but he's not taking apprentices as it would take too much time to train them for the refurbishing work he does.
I bought both my typewriters at antique stores and would like to ask them if I could clean any they receive.
I have a couple neighbors who mentioned owning typewriters and I'm gonna offer to clean them and make sure this is a direction I want to head in. Luckily my dad has plenty of tools to help me out. 

27-1-2017 10:14:23  #569

That's not a bad idea -- I reckon an antiques store/consignment place will welcome the chance to get typewriters spiffed up for not much money, since it will enable them to jack up the price! This is what Mary Echevarria does -- check out myoldtypewriter.com. She refurbishes typewriters that come into a vintage/antiques shop near her, mainly just for the pleasure of doing so. She documents her work on her blog; very helpful info there.

For TypewriterKing -- I think "old campaigner" refers to military campaigns, not political ones, actually. So think of our machines as "old soldiers."

28-1-2017 22:17:19  #570

Greetings folk: I am the new guy on the block, I guess. My name is David and I have spent most of my life working on computerized building control (hvac and security) systems. Prior to that I was a marine engineer. I am very over the hill (and am long time retired) but regardless of that I find myself becoming interested in typewriters.

So, I taught myself to touch type (on a computer) and then purchased an old 1965 Olivetti Lettera 22, And learned to type on it. I want to do some writing but am stymied when using a computer. I have been online too long, I guess. I become distracted when using anything at all that is associated with the net. My muse is moving along though and I am very pleased.

Yesterday I did something dumb: I was wandering around an antique shop and came across an old Erika typewriter. It looked very nice (and was very cheap) so I purchased it.

It has a serial number of: 3007140 and looks like a model 12 but is in an 'Optima' case (which looks original) and needs some work.

It types nicer than my Olivetti 22.

I am not entirely sure that it is a model 12 though. Can anyone help?

David_A

Board footera