You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-10-2017 20:49:39  #661

Re: New Member Thread

That's the joy of Ebay, Gnu... Not.

It's easy to get carried away sometimes, but you have to try and set yourself firm limits - however rare an item might seem, the one thing I've learnt is that there will always be another along shortly.

That said, I also paid the highest amount I've yet forked out today - £57! I'm pretty sanguine about it though, as it was for a lovely two - tone blue Rhinemetall KsT, complete with original instructions & VEB build / test sheet. I AM having kittens over the seeming lack of original case (leatherette case supplied - possibly Imperial) and seller's lack of prior typewriter shipping experience, though. Let's hope she heeds the packing advice I've pointed her to!

Also had an abortive attempt at securing an Optima Elite 3, but the seller couldn't (or wouldn't!) comply with my packing advice & then decided he'd offer collection only (he's too far away)...

Yup, Ebay can be a rollercoaster sometimes, but what is life without a little risk?

28-10-2017 22:21:26  #662

gnuyork wrote:

I just bid the highest amount I've ever bid for a typewriter today (on Ebay)  and I didn't even come close to winning. I got spanked. It was a Royal Quiet Deluxe ('57 era), so I think you're on to something with that model. I hope you can find one for a good price. I think some of the earlier ones can be had for less, even better if you find a hidden gem somewhere locally. Good luck, and welcome.

Was it glossy? If it was a glossy Quiet De Luxe, that is why. The glossy ones, by virtue of their paint, sell for a massive premium over the matte versions. They are not any better, but people love the aesthetics. On glossy QDL's, you are paying for the looks. Typing-wise, they are no better than the 50's matte models.

28-10-2017 22:55:06  #663

SoucekFan wrote:

gnuyork wrote:

I just bid the highest amount I've ever bid for a typewriter today (on Ebay)  and I didn't even come close to winning. I got spanked. It was a Royal Quiet Deluxe ('57 era), so I think you're on to something with that model. I hope you can find one for a good price. I think some of the earlier ones can be had for less, even better if you find a hidden gem somewhere locally. Good luck, and welcome.

Was it glossy? If it was a glossy Quiet De Luxe, that is why. The glossy ones, by virtue of their paint, sell for a massive premium over the matte versions. They are not any better, but people love the aesthetics. On glossy QDL's, you are paying for the looks. Typing-wise, they are no better than the 50's matte models.

Yes, glossy, in a robin egg blue. I want!

06-11-2017 19:08:23  #664

Hey all!  I'm David from Atlanta and currently shopping for my first vintage manual typewriter.  I've been wanting one for a few years now and I finally started spending the time to do some research and browsing.  I'm 46 years old and have used typewriters before back in high school, just not for a long time.

I haven't had any luck finding anything at local Goodwill, etc... so I think I'm going to end up having to buy something online.  It's just a question of figuring out what to get and finding a good specimen at a reasonable price.

While a small portable like a Rocket, Skyriter, or Lettera 22 sounds nice to have in a collection, I think for a first typewriter I would rather have a larger portable or even a standard sized one as I hear they are an overall better typing experience.  Some of the ones I'm curious about include:
Royal Quiet Deluxe or Aristocrat (which I think is basically a QDL without the soundproofing?)
Smith-Corona Silent/Sterling
Remington Quiet-Riter
Olivetti Studio 44 (although I'm not sure their build quality is up to the others on my list)
Hermes 3000
Some of the older Royals like the KMM, KGM, or KHM
Underwood 5 (may be out of my price range for a good one)

Anyway...  I'm open to any thoughts or advice you can give me.  I find myself attracted to older chunky curvy designs over the later rectangular stuff.  Is it a bad idea for a beginner to start out with something like a KHM or KMM?  I'm torn between thinking it will be built like a tank and easy to work on due to size vs. being too unwieldy or more likely to get damaged in shipping.

Question too about shopgoodwill.com.  How bad should I expect typewriters from there to be on arrival if it at least looks decent in the pics?  I'm happy to do some general cleanup and stuff but I won't have any expertise yet and what I don't want to happen is to have it turn into a fiasco that will sour my wife on letting me pursue this hobby.  She'd like to use my "new" typewriter for some odd tasks too like scrapbook journaling, cards, and writing down passwords, so I want to get something that will yield a positive experience and not make her think of a typewriter as an expensive 40 pound boat anchor

06-11-2017 20:05:06  #665

Hello David, welcome to the slippery slope ;)

I'm afraid that I can't speak for many of the machines on your 'wishlist' to offer any meaningful advice - I'm also a relative newcomer, but also in the UK, where many of the typers you've listed are few and far between. I can, however, allay your fears concerning the Olivetti Studio 44 - if the one I picked up yesterday is anything to go by, at least. It's built like a tank & has an exceptional action - satisfyingly firm and positive, something of a revelation, really.

Whichever path you choose to tread, I'm sure you'll find much pleasure in these wonderful, timeless machines - and it probably won't be too long before you're stashing all sorts of furtive purchases in places you hope the wife never looks in!

07-11-2017 08:16:22  #666

Hi, David!
If you're from a large metro area like Atlanta, I'd just check Atlanta Craigslist or LetGo.com to see what's in your area. That way, you can check out the machine before you buy, can negotiate on price, and don't have to worry about packing and shipping. 

07-11-2017 09:41:16  #667

Thanks for the suggestion on letgo.  There are so many websites for selling stuff these days it's hard to keep track of them all.  I also found some stuff on Facebook Marketplace this morning.  They're all about an hour away but it looks like there's a Royal KGM, Royal KHM, Royal 10, Olympia SM9, and a 30's Underwood Leader from there.  Looks like Letgo has thirty-something more but I need to screen through them and weed out the ones that look good so there won't be that many left at the end.

I think once I have a list made up I'll make a post and see what people think the picks of the litter are.

Thanks too for confirming the Olivettis are worthy machines.  I like the looks of the 44, 32, and 22 and that nice blue color is more attractive than a lot of the plain grey and tan machines, although I do still like a good black too

07-11-2017 09:52:09  #668

Yes, welcome! And I second Frank's comments about the Studio 44 -- really well made typewriter. I just didn't care for the typing action, which is a comment shared by a number of folks here.

I would suggest you go the local Craigslist route, so you can inspect the machines yourself and save the angst of awaiting a machine that may or may not have been damaged in transit.

Any of the machines you mention would be a good choice. But definitely also look at the Olympia SM3/SM4, SM&, or SM9. These are the best portables out there, I think.

07-11-2017 09:52:38  #669

Oops -- meant to say SM7 not SM&!

07-11-2017 10:14:40  #670

I know the SM9 is very well regarded as a typer, but it doesn't really have a vintage look to it.  Hard to have everything in one package I guess

After a brief glimpse at the letgo options, most of them look rather dingy, all have only one photo, and the descriptions are very brief or nonexistent.  I've identified two new possibles.  There's a pretty dusty looking Underwood Portable with no price listed and a Royal KMM that's actually nearby.

Board footera