You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-10-2018 04:02:57  #751

Re: New Member Thread

Looks like the photos have now appeared Ian !  It looks as if you have a 1954 (from the serial number) Imperial Good Companion One.  After the war, they carrierd the ribbon cover from the Model 'T' over to the GC1.  Looks like someone has 'improved' it with a coat of Hammerite !   That is why it has no markings - they were covered over when it was painted. I hope that you still have the original metal spools ?  They are very hard to come by nowadays.

30-10-2018 04:12:01  #752

Yes - I have the metal spools and ordered a new ribbon for it.   There is no case cover, just the base.  The paint job seems quite good and everything that can be painted has been. 

Ian

10-11-2018 13:21:43  #753

Howdy Typewriter nerds,

I'm not a collector, but I've always been fascinated by old stuff.  My father was a photographer in the 50s and 60s and I grew up around all of his funky weird old camera and darkroom equipment. I came fascinated by it, and some of it I still use 5 decades later.  He also had an old typewriter which must have planted some sort of latent seed in me. I can picture it, but can't put a name on it.

I have published a handful of nonfication articles and essays, and when writing on my laptop I use Focuswriter which mimics a typewriter. I've been toying with the idea of getting a real typewriter, in a probably misguided hope that it will help me focus and write more. ( I do have a Sears SR1000 from my college days, but that doesnt quite count). Last week I stumbled across an Ultra Quiet at a local auction that I hope will be mine soon, if it stays cheap. It seems to be in good functional shape, and appears to be a 1950-53 model. Whether I'll actually use it a lot (if I get it) or it becomes one of those head-scratching things that sit in the corner collecting dust, only time will tell.  But if I don't get it, I'll keep looking for another.

11-11-2018 14:15:29  #754

Looking for the first one is seldom a problem, overwood... It's when you edge towards triple digits and begin enumerating your collection in hexidecimal just to postpone that milestone that there is a problem!

I haven't actually heard of somebody doing that, but if they did it might be a sign of a problem.

12-11-2018 00:15:07  #755

UnderwoodStd wrote:

Looking for the first one is seldom a problem, overwood... It's when you edge towards triple digits and begin enumerating your collection in hexidecimal just to postpone that milestone that there is a problem!

I haven't actually heard of somebody doing that, but if they did it might be a sign of a problem.

I can see myself maybe getting several if the first one goes well and doesn't become a space-wasting paperweight. Seeing cool old typewriters does make me want to type, if only to hear that sound. I hope the ultra quiet isn't TOO quiet lol.    Really, if I had known that you can still get ribbon for these old things I probably would have bought one or two long ago.

12-11-2018 10:30:10  #756

Hello!

I am not (yet) a collector, although I have several typewriters at the moment. Perhaps I am a starting addict, I remember this is how my fountain pen collection/addiction started haha.

I am the proud owner of a 1924? Continental Standard Typewriter, which I am cleaning at the moment.
After that I have quite nasty piece of metal to work on (L.C. Smith 8-10, used to stand outside in a barn somewhere judged from the amount of dust and rust).

16-11-2018 21:07:06  #757

hello, i am porcelain
i am 19 and live in australia
my sister and her boyfriend found a beautiful typewriter on the side of the road and i have grown to adore it
but it needs some renovation and i am unsure what model it is
everything on it works perfectly but it is missing the top cover and needs a replacement ribbon
it is from the brand 'remington rand', and has the 'sperry rand' logo on it which makes me think it is from the 1950s-60s
if i can send some photos and have some people make some guesses and give me some advice that would be amazing
i am very new to typewriters but i sat down a day or two ago and did some extensive research so i should hold up in a conversation at least

16-11-2018 21:09:20  #758

ps:
i have tried the typewriter database
it could just be my inexperience but i could not find anything

16-11-2018 23:31:05  #759

Did you find a serial number on the machine? If so, the Typewriter Data Base can help you identify the model.

16-11-2018 23:44:27  #760

i did find a serial number next to one of the spools:
LX126818
but none of the serial numbers on the database are similar

Board footera