You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-7-2020 10:52:36  #841

Re: New Member Thread

Hello all, I am quite delighted to join and experience T.T. Having joined just a few hours ago I have learned a substantial amount about the Hermes Ambassador as well as realising that other enthusiasts are as obsessed as myself.
I bought my first typewriter a few years ago, and so started my quest for the ideal portable and standard. The result is an Olivetti Dora (being the most basic machine using the iconic Lettera 32 mechanism), and a 1962 Hermes Ambassador. After selling a couple of Remington Travel Riters, I still have an Adler Tippa to move on, as well as a Brother Delux 700T.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

14-7-2020 11:16:16  #842

Oh yes, Perth West Australia is quite isolated, and so the market is limited in range and prices, as the demand here is low. As a result, the machines I have bought have been priced well, I purchased an Halda 6 for just AUD20, as were my Olivetti Dora and Brother Deluxe 700T. Being the most isolated capital city in the world, transport of heavy machines makes purchase from the eastern states impractical. 

14-7-2020 12:11:00  #843

Welcome to the forum, zoom! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-7-2020 01:29:51  #844

Thank you Uwe... and thank you for  creating and continuing your forum! Since 2013 or there abouts? An achievement we can all benefit from.

25-8-2020 12:42:25  #845

Hi -

Our family has just discovered the joys of vintage manual typewriters. We bought an Olympia SG1 and really enjoy typing on it...although it has now developed some problems.

They are all waiting for me to get it fixed up before each write their great novels.

Thank you for having this forum for enthusiasts.

Binh
(USA-Georgia)

25-8-2020 14:03:40  #846

That's a great, first typewriter, Binh! 
Welcome to TT, and stay safe.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-8-2020 10:46:14  #847

Hello from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and thank you for accepting me into the forum.
I've always found typewriters attractive and interesting. A few weeks ago I found a dilapidated Olivetti Lexicon on the sidewalk and, of course, I brought the junk home. That made me dig out a Triumph Tippa I had picked up at an estate sale years ago.
I never liked the condition the Tippa was in. Although a nice design, it had some horrible stains and discolouring which kept me from displaying it or keeping it at hand.
So, given the Tippa was mechanically sound, I started looking for an identical machine to scavenge the plastic paneling from.
Instead, what I found was an almost immaculate Adler Tippa which was, practically, being given away.
I soon realized there were loads of machines being offered for very little money.
Finally something I liked which didn't cost a fortune! Not only that: typewriters here can be had cheap even compared to the US, where everything is comparably less expensive usually.
Well, long story short, I suddenly have five typewriters: An Olivetti Studio 44, the two Tippas, a 5 series Smith-Corona Sterling, and (the one I've put the time into cleaning) an Olympia SM9 which I hope to be using.
I'll post separately with some photos.

Thanks again,
Christian

28-8-2020 12:47:40  #848

Even though I am a new member, welcome Bakauata.I share your fascination, and recently purchased a second Hermes Ambassador. I'm not sure why I'm in bold, but anyway, this takes me to 6 machines, having sold a few. I retain: Olivetti Dora, Remington Model 3 (1930), Hermes Ambassador 1962 and 1964, Adler Tippa (cursive script) 1969, Adler Tippa (1974, my first typewriter likely to go on the market soon0. I have cleaned and repaired many of these, and this forum through it's kind members have provided much valuable information and advice.
I am currently transcribing a William Morris novel - "The Wood Beyond The World" as a means of improving my touch typing.
Happy collecting.

28-8-2020 15:24:07  #849

Thanks for the welcome, Zoom.
I too could sell off one of the Tippas, but I figured I might as well keep it for spares (or as a basher for my daughter and her friends) since it's unlikely I could get more than a few dollars for it, given it cosmetics.
I quickly decided to not buy any more machines which aren't in pretty good cosmetic shape; it's too easy to fill my house with very inexpensive but scratched-up machines.

31-8-2020 16:23:10  #850

Hey I'm approved!

Hello everyone. So my interest in typewriters isn't in typewriters specifically, though that is the next stone to turn over. What I like to do is find things that are in vintage original condition and make them functional for routine use. I don't care about cosmetics too much so long as the item actually works. For example, I have several film cameras in my collection. Each one must function and must actually process photos once in its life. I have several Brownies, an Icoflex DLR, a Realist 45, an Agfa Billy Record I, a Kodak Duaflex IV and a Zeiss Ikon with a Anastigmat lens. I shot my last color Polaroid a few months ago in a 210. 

I also have a vintage 1980 Flash Gordon pinball machine that I routinely work on and play. My most recent project involved restoration of a Victrola VV-210. I read all I could, learned how they work and then proceeded to rebuild both the motor and reproducer. It was built in 1920 and will last another one hundred years. My other stereo is all vintage gear (Marantz/Techniques) that I've done work on to keep running as efficiently as the day it was new.

Now I turn my attention to typewriters. I started easy (I'm guessing). Though I wanted to jump right in with a Royal No. 10, I came across a 1938 Corona Sterling I couldn't say no to. It types but has some sluggish keys. The carriage advances and backs up. The platen is in good shape and the body overall looks like new. It has that wonderful smell equitable with all vintage pieces of gear. Yet, it needs some adjustments and a thorough cleaning. 

So I am hear for wisdom. I've come to ask questions as I clean and service this writer. I've got Rev. Monk's book on Floating Shift Smith-Coronas on order and have sourced some ribbon. Every day or so I pull up a video or an article on these machines so that when I finally put a screwdriver to a screw, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm about to do.

So, any advice anyone cares to give me now will pay dividends later. Thanks and well met.

saxegotha

Board footera