You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-9-2020 19:36:41  #851

Re: New Member Thread

Hello, my name is Tim and I hail from an old gold mining town in NE Ontario,

I got 36 years of underground mining behind me now, the lungs just couldn’t keep up so I am now done with that.  Always had an interest in old mechanical stuff. 

I collect and wear, every day, old automatic mechanical watches, and have always had a manual typewriter on the go.  My old horse was my Galaxie Deluxe.  It took everything I could give it and stood up well.  Daily journals and work journals. 

Now, that I’m sort of retired and dealing with my lung issues, I have turned my attention, over the last year or so, to my new growing passion for manual typewriters and have gathered a nice group of six. 

More posts later, my buddy just walked into the coffeeshop and I should put my Qwerkywriter away and have a cup of java.

Talk later.

Tim

Life today seems like a swirling sucking whirlpool filled with false hope in an ever darkening universe....oh, my new ribbon is in, ok now.

02-9-2020 17:12:37  #852

Ah, Tim here again.  Found some spare time and just threw some coal into my old Strombrowski, Dowkowicz steam powered typing machine, from my old days in the KGB . Naw, the Qwerkywriter S is the cat’s azz.

I gave away my old Galaxie deluxe to a nice young high school girl who showed a real interest in the old manual typewriters.  Had the Galaxie at the Tim Hortons and she got on it and you should have seen the delight in her eyes.  She said she would give a lung for something like this so I just said, it’s yours.  Buy something better when you can get to that point, and give this to somebody who has the spark like you.

I did the eBay thing on a professionally and respectfully restored 1926 #10.  What a nice crisp typer.  It has chrome ribbon spools that just steals the show.  You can see them move as you type.  Also has the white keys which have that gorgeous yellow patina.  A wonder to type on.  Also picked up a 1950 Underwood Rhythm Touch.  Was missing the back plate and the chrome on the bottom and the button for the ribbon reverse. Cleaned it up nicely and it has become my go to typer.  Those Bakelite tombstone keys are lovely.

I snapped up an absolutely perfect, completely new, 1969 Hermes 3000.  I would have to say that this is the best typing machine I have ever run across.  Way, way, overbuilt  and solid.  Hard to believe it can get any better than this.

I sit with the old retired ladies at the coffee shop and when talking about my typewriter obsession one of them said she had an old one in the case in the basement and hadn’t used it since the seventies when the ribbon lift quit working.  She gave it to me for free and I played around with it until the mechanism played itself out to me and a little prying got it working.  All cleaned up, this 1949 Quiet deluxe in a very nice linen case is my new coffee shop typer.

Those are the four I got on the go.  I sourced out the backplate and chrome and a spare platen for the Underwood but am still looking for the ribbon reverse spoiler button for the side.  If anybody out there has a spare one, please contact me. 

Anyway, since this is getting long, It’s very nice to find a place where you can pull up a chair next to the fire and chat with others who have these similar interests. 

Talk to you soon,

Timbo

Life today seems like a swirling sucking whirlpool filled with false hope in an ever darkening universe....oh, my new ribbon is in, ok now.

02-9-2020 21:44:10  #853

Hi Tim, it's a pleasure to read your recounting your typewriter activism. The typewriter revival seems to be growing, and a happy situation that is.
In writing this, I caution myself at the persistent purchasing and repairing pleasure which seems to have entrapped this enthusiast. My goal is to arrive at a point whereby I have achieved the ideal number of machines portable, and standard, pre 1970 and antique.
Currently I have 7 machines: 1930 Remington portable 3; 1962 Hermes Ambassador; 1966 Hermes Ambassador; 1966 Imperial 70; 1969 Adler Tippa (cursive script); 1974 Olivetti DORA; 1974 Adler Tippa (my first machine).

As far as antiques go, the Remington 3 will suffice.

For my purposes, 7 typewriters are too many, but I can't imagine letting anything go, other perhaps than the 1974 Tippa. It has crossed my mind to let go of the 1962 Ambassador, but for the fact in the past it has been dropped and repaired, leaving scars, and that it took my 6 weeks to clean and adjust it.
What does one do?
Oh, I know, leave decisions 'till later: I'm off to do a few hours of typing.
Be well, stay safe.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

04-9-2020 05:25:11  #854

Hi, I'm Sandro, checking in.
I'm not a collector, more like an enthusiast user. Every now and then, I want to write something, and if the work does not proceed (wordprocessors  are eraser-tolerant, incouraging endless afterthoughts) on my computers i fire up my very early  Lettera 32 or (more likely ) my Studio 44.  Sometimes it is just the pleasure of hearing and feeling something pleasantly mechanic.  I also discovered something totally unexpected: typing in daylight hours being  a sort of socially tolerated noise, typing has powerful 'collateral' effects as a noise deterrent from loud neighbours.  As a direct consequence, I sourced a nice well-used 1954 Remington Quiet-Riter , dark wrinkled grey, with Italian QZERTY keyboard, always wanted a Remington since admiring some antique Standard model in childhood. I  properly cleaned it (well it was a case-sitter, so no real need but anyway spent an afternoon doing it), ordered and installed a correct new fresh ribbon  (damn, Remington spools are truly nice to look at and play with, but messy! Reels are much much cleaner to handle for the uninitiated), and success! I discovered it is a much enjoyable machine to type on. I bought it for the peculiar name, and indeed with all that soundproofing materials inside, it is really quieter then most Olivetti machines,  and also for the fantastic 50s aesthetic. I have also a working 1953  Hermes Baby, also QZERTY, bought for the design and the long history of this beautiful model.
I don't know how this will evolve as I have little space and even less sparetime... but the seed is growing :-)

05-9-2020 06:57:01  #855

Welcome Sandro, yes, looks like you're hooked. One of the beautiful things about typewriters is that with a little thought and care, reviving an old machine is not only possible, but often very easy.
I started by purchasing my first machine 6 years ago, and have since purchased (and often repaired) the sum total of 12. I am soon to purchase 2 more, an Olympia SF, and  an Imperial 66. Not to worry, I have sold 5, bringing my current collection, modest though it is, to 7.
My favourite is without doubt the 1964 Hermes Ambassador, although I have a soft spot for the 1930
Remington Portable 3.
I have found this forum an endless source of knowledge and entertainment, as I'm sure you shall. There are many knowledgeable members who are very kindly willing to share their knowledge should members require it.
Thus, this site is an integral part of the typewriter revival.
Best wishes Sandro.

10-9-2020 06:10:59  #856

Hi, I just wanted to finally pop in and say Hi!

I've been registered on here way longer than I realised without a single post. I dont pop in often but I enjoy rummaging around and picking up tips and tricks.

I own a Olivetti Lettera 32 that I picked up around the end of 2017. It took me a while to figure out the ribbon and a few other things but now I have a printout of a manual, a new ribbon that fits and a bit more practice under my belt.

I've given the machine a clean over and made some adjustments so it types much better but I am really just doing the minimum as I have no real clue!

Anyway, wanted to make a post and join in the community.

11-9-2020 09:50:20  #857

Hi OneThouProjects,
I couldn't let the opportunity to greet another Aussie. I have an Olivetti DORA, the same mechanism as the 32, although missing a few features. I like it a lot and will keep it, although portables are not my main interest for typing (odd how I have more portables than standards). My main machines are 2 Hermes Ambassadors, and I treasure them both, a 1962 and a 1964.

Tomorrow I am viewing an Imperial 66 and an Olympia SF, if they fit my limitations as repairer (cracked platens and feed rollers, as well as structural rust are beyond my skills), I'm likely to purchase both. I have learned touch typing on a site (https://www.typing-lessons.org/), and am now transcribing some of the original fantasy novels by William Morris (1800's) to hone my touch typing skills.

Yesterday I purchased a Nakajima Electric machine, and had it running within 24 hours. It's a lot of fun, and I've always wanted an electric rather than electronic, because of the ink ribbon. No chance of that being unavailable.

Anyway, happy typing.

13-9-2020 19:08:58  #858

Hi to all onboard. I have a technical question regarding a Brother 215 portable. Only the top half of the letter a A hits the Platen. All of the rest of the letters  work quite well. I can't seem to figure out why. Everything is aligned and matches all other parts. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

13-9-2020 22:37:04  #859

Hi John M, it sounds like the slug is out of line, or perhaps the type arm is out of shape. I once spent 3 hours on  a Remington Travelriter aligning an *E* slug using two shifting spanners and lots of care. The adjustment is remarkably fine. Unlike (what may be your issue), the misalignment was lateral rather than vertical.
I didn't have the confidence to take on the task until I had a donor machine, but it turned out to be little risk, as the adjustment was so fine it didn't threaten to break the weld on the slug.

14-9-2020 10:34:59  #860

Hello John, and welcome to TT. 

This thread is dedicated to self-introductions for new members. If you need technical advice please post those questions in the Maintenance & Repairs sub-forum. Thanks.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera