You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-6-2021 10:30:49  #881

Re: New Member Thread

Hello Hello!

Just saying hello and introducing myself and my typewriters!

My name is Cain and I am an artist by trade. I've been into antiques all my life and generally like collecting old useful things.
I've had typewriters for a pretty long time, at least 10 years now. My first one was an electric writer that I ended up giving away, I do not remember the brand unfortunately. 

Afterwards I was gifted a new manual writer which I adored. Which triggered me to start a mini collection from thrift store shopping.
It's pretty lucky that I did this shopping before typewriters gained a new popularity in the general culture, so I spent a range of $15 - $45 on each one.
They all work relatively well too and each have their original cases! 

Without further delay, here are my machines:

- Hermes3000
This is the first I received and the one that works the best out of them all.
It only needs a quick vacuum and cleaning on the inside. I like using this one day to day.

-Sears Tower: President 

This is the latest one I've bought and I love the color. The tower works well and just needs a cleaning before use since the keys are a little gummy and two of them stick.
One key was disconnected but I managed to fix it early on ages ago.

-Underwood Gold Touch

This underwood is my favorite of the 3 aesthetically speaking. I love the color combo of the gold and green and the keys are larger but the font is quite cute.
Though this is the one that is in need of more repairs before I start going crazy with it. Hopefully I can figure out a way to fix it but it's also the most compact of the 3 so reaching inside is difficult. 

Anyway these are my 3. A small collection for sure and I do wish to expand it in the future.
But for now I have cramped living spaces so I am not planning on shopping any time soon.
Instead just focusing on learning to clean and repair the ones I have!

I hope you enjoyed the photos and have a lovely day!

29-6-2021 12:42:21  #882

Cool Underwood

30-6-2021 09:32:55  #883

overwood wrote:

Cool Underwood

Why thank you!

30-6-2021 09:42:37  #884

Hi Cain,

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for a look at your machines.

They seem to be in very nice condition.

The "search" functions on the Forum are quite the useful tool...if you have not explored it already.

My collection has grown a bit this past Covid-19 year and I just went over 28 machines.  Many needed work and sorting out...which I have done on my own AND with the help of search-results that I found here on our Forum.

I have mostly portable machines but did, eventually, break down and got 2 desktop machines...a Olympia SG1 and a Facit T2 which is Swedish (see photo below) which is the No. 1 favourite machine in my collection.

06-8-2021 09:04:59  #885

Hello to all at Typewriter TALK!
Thank you for allowing me in.
My name is Raul and I live in Lisbon, Portugal. Many years after, following the reading of The Typewriter Revolution, by Richard Polt, I took out of the attic my Messa 2002, a Portuguese built Typewriter that was in bad shape, and brought it back to life. Then I could not stop, and from there I got a few more, mainly portables but also a few standards, all made in Europe, like Olympias, Hermes, Olivettis. I still hope to get a Smith-Corona or a Royal.
My knowledge on the mechanics of it is very basic, I hope to get some help from you!

Raul PC

06-8-2021 22:47:02  #886

Welcome to the forum, Raul! Which model did you use for your avatar photo?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-8-2021 00:43:42  #887

Thank you, Uwe.
On the avatar I am with a 
1953 Voss ST24, built in Germany, it looks like a tank of the same color, it writes like in the battlefield, nothing can stop it. And the design is amazing, too.
Been looking at your site and my goodness, what a collection!!! 

Raul PC

07-8-2021 09:09:47  #888

Welcome to the forum! Happy to have you here!

07-8-2021 09:34:06  #889

Hello, all! New to the forum (obviously) and happy to be here. I started collecting WW2 militaria (namely the M1 Carbine and 1911-A1 pistol) several months ago, and this segued into a deep interest in the typewriters made by the same manufacturers of these weapons. I've since acquired a couple of '38 Remington Model 5's, a '46 Underwood Noiseless 77, and a couple of early 50's Royal QUIET DE LUXE's.

I'm a big fan of WW2 films (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and The Pacific, to name a few). When I discovered Mr. Tom Hanks himself was a purveyor of typewriters, why... I just had to reach out to him. As most of you probably know, he loves to receive letters from fans typed out on these old machines.

Pictured is my '43 Underwood carbine with a 1921 Underwood No. 3 serving as the back-drop.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6660/reduced_20210724_104333.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6660/Underwood_Forum.jpg

07-8-2021 13:53:56  #890

raulpc wrote:

... I am with a 1953 Voss ST24...

That's embarrassing; I have a '59 S24 and didn't recognize it from your avatar... 

Unlike your tank, mine doesn't get any use as it needs a number of repairs and I haven't had time yet to put it on the workbench. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera