You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2022 17:39:59  #911

Re: New Member Thread

Hello from Seattle!My typewriting journey began in typing class in the mid 1980s in a classroom filled with, I think, Olympias (I don't remember the model). I took the class so that I could more quickly program the shiny new Apple IIe my school had just acquired, but I also enjoyed writing on my mom's typewriter at home.
  Fast forward to 2008: while scanning ebay for 19th century pocket watches, I purchased an L.C. Smith model 8/10, followed shortly thereafter by a Corona 3 portable. I loved writing on them and seeing the ingenuity of the machinery. Later, in 2014, while strolling through a local flea market, I happened on someone selling scores of typewriters at fairly low prices. He told me that anything that didn't sell that day would be sold to the chopper a few stalls down to harvest keys. I saved what budget and space could afford: An Oliver 9, Remington 6 and 12 standards, a Royal KMM, and a Royal Quiet Deluxe. 
Recently, my typewriter fever was rekindled by a combination of watching California Typewriter shortly after some folks at work asked me to try to determine the typewriter that had written an old letter from a departed uncle. (Pretty sure it was an U.S. Navy Underwood Universal portable mill). Thus more typewriters, tools, etc.
I really enjoy writing on typewriters - it's a completely different process than writing by hand or on computers. I also equally love working on typewriters, breathing life into neglected, broken machines. Plus, it fits nicely alongside my day job (typographer at a software company), and other passions like fountain pens, vintage BMWs, and late 19th / early 20th century design. (and my 3D printing hobby may come in handy, too).
Looking forward to learning from all of you!

03-2-2022 18:32:45  #912

Welcome, Rob...

I am envious of folks in Seattle that have 2 typewriter shops just over in Bremerton.

Boise is a shop ghost-town...

03-2-2022 21:15:16  #913

Thanks!

Yes, I feel lucky. Also I feel that I have a strong safety net in case I get myself into too much trouble.

19-2-2022 07:23:25  #914

Your statement about losing yourself for a time while working on typewriters resonated with me. I recently found a 59 Tower President in like new condition. Most of the keys were frozen in place which tells me it may not have been used at all. Great satisfaction losing myself in the mechanics, dissolving old grease and getting it working again.

I'm also a newby this year and hope to hear more from you.

Cheers

- Be kind 

20-2-2022 00:10:05  #915

bluesguru in yyc wrote:

I found a 57-58 President which is virtually mint. No work needed. The flagship of my typewriter fleet. Many of my others though, lots of work needed. But it is a thrill when the cleaning is done and I can put it all back to together again, and there are no parts left over... ;)

... and it works! I have not yet taken the plunge into actually repairing typewriters. I'm still at the stage of looking for models that work. It does sound like you may be enjoying the experience.

George

22-2-2022 05:01:00  #916

Uwe wrote:

Welcome, Ian - and don't forget to tell what the mystery machine ended up being.

The mystery machine is a 1954 Smith-Corona Skyriter. My neighbour said it was in good condition, and it mostly is, but needs some work, most notably reattaching the drawband. Once that's done, it may only require cleaning and a new ribbon.

I wish I was a head light on a north-bound train

13-4-2022 08:20:38  #917

Hello,
I'm happy to be here and look forward to having access to the base of knowledge available on the forum.

I'd been meaning to look into vintage typewriters since acquiring a Curta calculator after reading a passing reference in a fiction novel. Soon after I read a few things about the pleasure of using a typewriter but it fell off the radar until about two weeks ago.

The first machine to arrive was a 1946 Smith-Corona Sterling in the crinkle black, two stripe finish. It was followed within days by a 1930 Corona 4 in Duco black with black crinkle panels. Soon a Gossen Tippa and an Optima Plana will be added to the stable.

None were refurbished so each will have its challenges to overcome. I've never used the terms platen, backspace pawl, escapement or tab stop in a sentence before and now I've done repairs to each. New aromas from PB B'laster, Renaissance Wax and Febreeze now emanate from the shop.  

I find the work of cleaning, tuning and repairing them relaxing and rewarding.

Now to learn to touch type...  

Thanks for reading.

Brent

13-4-2022 09:38:07  #918

Hey Brent, great that you have joined this forum. I learned to touch type with this site:
https://www.typing-lessons.org/
I found it invaluable.

Also great to see you have the restoration bug, it's brought me so much pleasure, as well as a collection of machines that I just can't part with.

zoom

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

13-4-2022 11:07:55  #919

Hello Brent,

Welcome to the Forum as well.

In 3-4 years, I have brought 37 typewriters (mostly from the 1950's to 1970's) into my home.

I do all the cleaning and servicing on them and have learned some simple to a bit more advanced repair work.  Only one machine was above my pay grade and it went to a professional shop.

I even have taught myself how to restore and refurbish cases when they needed some help.

Only working machines stay in my home.  And I rotate each typewriter to my work desk every month or so for a 1-2 day stint in the working-position.

14-4-2022 14:19:55  #920

Pete E.,
Thanks for the welcome. I see from another thread that you have some nice machines in use. Is there a current list somewhere?

Take care,
Brent

Board footera