You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2015 11:09:55  #1

The Nine

I am weak.

Last week, my grandpa called me to tell me that his friend had uncovered a "pile of Royal typewriters" in a house he was cleaning out. This friend is in the buisness of buying houses from hoarders, with all the stuff inside. These typewriters were covered in 4-5 feet of clothes, so it took a few months for my grandpa's friend to find them.

He took me to the house so that I could talk to his friend and take a look at the machines. There were nine in all, not all Royals, but they were for the most part KMMs and KMGs. 

I picked out the five I wanted.
A LC Smith Secretarial in nice shape, with trouble advancing: $40
The cleanest Royal, a KMG: $20
The second cleanest Royal, a KMM, that later revealed a Telegraph/Radio Mill typeface: $20
A very battered Smith-Corona standard (I have never seen one in person, they aren't common): $15
A Underwood Noiseless Standard with some major carriage issues: $15

I said the other four were too battered to be worth fixing, and I meant it. The remaining KMMs all had their own complicated issues. But then all four were offered to me for $10, that's $2.50 apeice, and I couldn't say no. He also hinted that they were probably going to be scrapped if I didn't take them.

Here they are, in a group shot:

None were working at the time of aqusition, unless you count the Royal missing keys in the front of the picture. It operated better than any of the other machines, which is unfortunate given the fact it is missing some vial pieces. Eh, I'll work it out later. After some extensive cleaning of the rails and segment, the single Royal KMG is working now. I'm working on one of the KMMs now, it's getting close to working.

All in all, there are six Royals and five are KMMs.One is a KMG. As KMMs and KMGs are virtually identical on the inside, I'm getting very familiar with this design.

My typewriter philosophy, for lack of a better term, is that every machine that can be saved should be saved. That's why none of these machines will be parted out, not even the two that are missing keys. I will update as others become working.

Also, anyone want a Royal? I'm not planning on keeping any of them! I only bought them for the fun of saving and fixing them 

01-6-2015 11:12:24  #2

Re: The Nine

Here's the single working machine, in the Typewriter Database: http://typewriterdatabase.com/1951-royal-kmg.4781.typewriter

I forgot to mention, along with the nine typewriters I bought two typing tables, for $10 each. I'm a sucker for good deals...

01-6-2015 11:34:01  #3

Just sent you a personal message about the Mil font Royal. My uncle has been looking for one to use with a military re-enacting hobby and he'd love to have this one. I'll buy it unrestored. Or my uncle will.

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

01-6-2015 11:37:45  #4

Good save!
Infact I myself recently got a KMM & even though the platen is as hard as a rock and the shift is messed up
I love it already.
I have also rescued 2 machines from a keychopper's scrap pile
one is completly working after about 5 days of work
the other is a lc smith like the green one that you found
except it is a super speed and needs all the rust removed 
which i will get to soon.

Last edited by mre12ax7 (01-6-2015 11:39:30)

My blog - Just Typewriters

01-6-2015 14:02:46  #5

Wow, what a haul! Makes you wonder what that person was doing with all those typewriters. Well, nothing much I guess if they were under a pile of clothes, but at some point they must have picked them up for some reason.  I can't imagine cleaning out a hoarder's home.

01-6-2015 14:04:11  #6

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

A very battered Smith-Corona standard (I have never seen one in person, they aren't common)

If that's how they were transported it's no wonder that they all have issues!

I'm curious as to which machine in the photo is the uncommon Smith-Corona? You can't mean the Model 7A in the middle of the first row, because there are plenty of those machines around. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-6-2015 14:10:03  #7

Spazmelda wrote:

Wow, what a haul! Makes you wonder what that person was doing with all those typewriters.

And if I keel over from a heart attack later today I wonder what someone would say when cleaning out my house. "Makes you wonder what that person was doing with all those typewriters" would be a gross understatement! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-6-2015 14:14:33  #8

Uwe wrote:

Spazmelda wrote:

Wow, what a haul! Makes you wonder what that person was doing with all those typewriters.

And if I keel over from a heart attack later today I wonder what someone would say when cleaning out my house. "Makes you wonder what that person was doing with all those typewriters" would be a gross understatement! 

Hm, I'm not going there, but yeah...

01-6-2015 15:27:34  #9

Yours appear to be in slightly better condition, Uwe - I think it'd be obvious what you were doing with them! ;) 

I've seen hoarding up close and it ain't pretty. Nice things get wrecked.

01-6-2015 15:33:03  #10

OT, SORRY...  My grandmother was kind of a hoarder, but she was what you'd call an organized hoarder. She had lots of stuff and never threw anything away, but it all had its place and had to be in its place.  They even built extra houses to hold all her stuff.  She'd hoard food too.  I guess since she got married right before the depression, food was a big thing.  She had canned green beans older than my dad.  Eating at their house was always an adventure.

Last edited by Spazmelda (01-6-2015 15:33:49)

Board footera