You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2015 15:40:08  #11

Re: The Nine

Uwe wrote:

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

A very battered Smith-Corona standard (I have never seen one in person, they aren't common)

If that's how they were transported it's no wonder that they all have issues!

I'm curious as to which machine in the photo is the uncommon Smith-Corona? You can't mean the Model 7A in the middle of the first row, because there are plenty of those machines around. 

It's all relative. Compared to, say, Royals and Underwoods of the time frame, they are comparitively much less common.

Or maybe it's just down to location, and that they're more common elsewhere...

01-6-2015 16:25:03  #12

Wow, that was a good deal! You could get $10 alone for parts...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

01-6-2015 16:28:06  #13

Spazmelda, LOL about the canned beans! My aunt was a massive hoarder and when she got dementia a situation that had been more or less under control became just horrible. And I did have to clean out her house and it took months. (Unfortunately there wasn't even a single typerwriter in there!)

01-6-2015 20:47:44  #14

Holy crap. Nine typewriters in one day? I'd think I'd stop collecting after that... (nah, I lied. I'll never stop ). And an Underwood Noiseless standard? I am very jealous right now. I've always wanted a Noiseless standard but they seem to be as elusive as my SG-1. The last few machines I've gotten were from out of state, so that's 3 within the last 3 months. New Jersey just doesn't like typewriters...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

01-6-2015 21:27:11  #15

ztyper wrote:

And an Underwood Noiseless standard? I am very jealous right now. I've always wanted a Noiseless standard but they seem to be as elusive as my SG-1.

Ha, no need to be jealous. This one looks nice, but seems to have been jammed in the shift position. Not to mention that the escapement doesn't work at all. It will take a lot of tinkering, but then again I didn't pay a whole lot for it.

01-6-2015 21:41:23  #16

I would get some raised eyebrows if I brought nine standards home, but I am so envious. It looks like you have many happy hours of cleaning and tinkering ahead of you. So lucky to get the Royal KMM with Telegraph/Radio Mill typeface. 

02-6-2015 16:17:15  #17

Well good luck, looks like this'll keep you busy for the summer.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

10-6-2015 21:39:39  #18

Machine 2/9 is working. It's one of the KMMs I almost left behind, and you can see why. Ironically it is the only machine of the bunch to have a dust cover. Evidently, it wasn't used as much as it should have been!

I love how beat up it looks. Even if it was worth the trouble, I wouldn't repaint it. It's a unique individual among all the thousands of KMMs out there.

The next machine I'm working on is the Underwood Noiseless. Wish me luck, the escapement is a mess...

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (10-6-2015 21:41:09)

11-6-2015 00:21:03  #19

That KMM is a survivor for sure - did you have to make any major repairs to get it running?

11-6-2015 07:48:29  #20

Nope, just a whole lot of cleaning!

Board footera