You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-6-2015 19:47:17  #1

Royal #10 and Some Questions

Hi Everyone,

As header implies, first typewriter is a Royal #10 (s/n: X-696,870) so I guess that makes it 1923.  This one has two glass panes instead of one. 

1.) When did they switch from double to single glass?

2.) I really like the keyboard because it supports English & French.  Fairly common, scarce, or a dime a dozen?

3.) Finally, how do you tell if it's been refurbished?  Reason I ask is a sticker on back left hand.  Refers to parts & seems have have a date of 1910.  That's not possible is it?  Thought the #10 was introduced in 1914 correct?

Patent dates?

Finally anything else "Royal" gurus might want to add.  I'm interested in the history of the machines as much as collecting them.

Thanks

--Brian

02-6-2015 23:32:34  #2

Re: Royal #10 and Some Questions

BrianE wrote:

1.) When did they switch from double to single glass?
2.) I really like the keyboard because it supports English & French.  Fairly common, scarce, or a dime a dozen?
3.) Finally, how do you tell if it's been refurbished?  Reason I ask is a sticker on back left hand.  Refers to parts & seems have have a date of 1910.  That's not possible is it?  Thought the #10 was introduced in 1914 correct?
Patent dates?

1. I think in the later half of 1923 because I have seen 1923 models with single glass panes.
2. English/French keyboards are very common in eastern Canada, and I wouldn't describe them as scarce, but not dime a dozen either. Like all keyboards/typesets that were meant for certain markets, they will be more commonly found on machines within that market.
3. Apparently rebuilt Royal models have serial numbers with a Y- prefix, and since the rebuilding of machines such as yours probably wasn't done until the machine had served a fair number of years, I would guess that most would probably date from the early '20s onward. 

Could you post a close-up photo of that sticker? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-6-2015 07:41:54  #3

Is the plating on it original 
Or did you paint it.

My blog - Just Typewriters

03-6-2015 11:40:09  #4

BrianE wrote:

Hi Everyone,

If you are talking about that gold sticker to the left of the "Royal" branding on the back, that is a Canadian patent number listing, and refers to some of the components used as part of the typewriter design. In fact, you can search the Canadian Intellectual Property Office website using those patent numbers and get a more detailed description of the componenets to which they refer (such as the inventor/designer, the company associated with the patent, date of filing, etc.).

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

03-6-2015 19:17:43  #5

Thanks for replies.

Didn't do anything to paint.  Some corrosion on chrome.  Just followed book's instructions & cleaned painted surfaces with lightly oiled cloth.  Wiped off with another soft cloth.  Has flecks of white paint I'll have to find out how to safely remove.

Got really excited about keyboard.  Not going to find them in a place like Texas, but makes sense they'd have plenty of them up in Quebec.

Maybe FAQ, but cannot find in search:

What did the "X"  mean?  Standard -vs- a particular model of portable?  Example: "O" = early portable?

Carriage Tension & adjustment screw: 
When using tabs-- esp. at far right of paper-- the carriage really seems to slam to a halt pretty hard.  Normal, or machine needs some kind of rubber cushion(s) that have probably become brittle after 92 years? 

Risked turning adjustment screw clock-wise one turn.  Helped a little, but still stops pretty hard.  Will wait before messing with it any more.

Finally, Uwe had asked for detail photo.  Question seems to have been answered, (thanks for the patent source) but for future reference since already uploaded to photobucket.  ; )

Rear Sticker:

Last question in long post.  Service manual out there?  Cleaned it much as possible without taking anything apart.  Getting to some of that dust or if carriage/tab stops return need some sort of cushion.  Exploded diagram would be very helpful.

Brian

Last edited by BrianE (03-6-2015 19:21:45)

04-6-2015 17:00:59  #6

OK, maybe fly in the oinment as I use this machine more.

1.) press 'tab' key and it really slides carriage over hard.  "Thwack!"

2.) Now the keys are locked!  (They go up about 2/3rds of the way.)

3.) I can press the silver button on left-side of carriage & release the keys so not really a problem.

Will continuing to do this eventually damage the machine, or just something old ones do?

Everything else works fine.  Just don't want to damage something 92 years old.

Thanks in advance for comments / suggestions.

Brian

04-6-2015 18:14:47  #7

3. Sounds like margin key block? is getting stuck. When the carriage hits the end of a line (margin) it locks the keys on most machines.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-6-2015 20:28:40  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

3. Sounds like margin key block? is getting stuck. When the carriage hits the end of a line (margin) it locks the keys on most machines.

Sorry if long or makes little sense.  Need typewriter glossary or somthing.

Margins seem OK.  Six spaces after bell.  Two spaces after Margin Release, or if hold it down will type off page.  Return & types as should.

Only happens when using tab key.  I'm a novice, but carriage moves right with far too much force than I'd think neccessary.  Tension adjustment?

1.) Press Tab to indent paragraph, center on paper, etc.

2.) Keys sometimes 'lock' or it will type but carriage doesn't advance.  

3.) Press round chrome button on left side of carriage (in center of knob you turn to feed or advance paper.)
Audible click as "something happens" and type away!

Like I say, not a major issue, but don't want to mess it up if some sort of buffer or cusion is hard, worn down or missing.

Carriage tension adjustment screw only controls it going from right to left correct?  Increasing likely solve not advancing after keystroke, but would also make carriage slam into those tab stops even harder? 

Clearly have a lot to learn about tweaking old typewriters!

04-6-2015 20:29:35  #9

Does your 10 really have a mainspring tension adjustment screw? If I'm correct, it's by the mainspring on the left side of the body of the machine. My 1952 Royal KMG has one, but my 1928 10 does not. If your's is from 1923, then I wonder why my Royal 10 lacks it.

But to answer some questoins, I think your machine is ok. Over time, this will wear it down, so I would have a tab set towards the end of the line so it doesn't it the margin to forcefully.

And the 'X' prefix means that it's a Royal 10. X is the roman numeral for 10, an this is how Royal marked their typewritres. For instance, my Royal KMG has a serial number that starts with 'KMG'

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

05-6-2015 05:14:57  #10

My typewrites make a loud sound to on tab. Its normal. You have to adjust the tab blocks to let it stop where you want it too.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera