You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-6-2015 09:11:05  #1

1930s Royal KHM Standard Typewriter

I was very lucky to find this Royal KHM Standard at a local antique shop for $50.  I tested it out to make sure at least the keys didn't stick and I would be able to type on it.  It was in great condition for its age.  It typed at first and I noticed holes and rips in the ribbon and later realized that either the ribbon was bad, or the platen may be too hard.  The platen seemed ok.  I put a new ribbon into the existing spools and they wouldn't move.  Thanks to comments left to me on this problem on Typewriter Talk, I was able to fix that problem by properly inserting the ribbon.  I love typing on it, has a great touch and the type is clear and even.  I can't find the serial number on it but what I have read online at numerous sites its possible this one may have been made in 1937 or earlier.  I didn't know where the margins were to set and discovered a video created by a teenager who had purchased the same machine and he gave a great demonstration.  I learned every aspect of the machine's capabilities.  I just love typing on this piece of history.

You can never have too many typewriters.

04-6-2015 09:52:39  #2

Re: 1930s Royal KHM Standard Typewriter

KHMs are great, underappreciated machines. My second typewriter was a KHM, I love it to death. I even named it. Steve the KHM! 

04-6-2015 09:56:25  #3

The serial number is located under the carriage on the right side. Move the carriage all the way to the left and it will expose the serial number stamp.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-6-2015 10:50:45  #4

Thanks Moderator!  It is a KHM2221825.  If I'm reading the database correctly, it looks like it may have been produced in 1937.  At least I have a good idea it was around that time.  Thanks again I really appreciate it!

You can never have too many typewriters.

Board footera