You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-6-2015 09:23:43  #1

Hermes Rocket

I had recently became interested in manual typewriters.  My mother had bought me one when I was a teenager, I think it may have been a Remington 1930s or 1940s.  I regret not having the machine any longer.  I have an Olympia Traveller C I bought brand new online a few years ago, but I wanted something vintage.  I watched Ebay everyday but was hesitate going that route.  A few weeks ago I noticed an estate sale sign and took a chance I would find something there.  
Not only did I find the Hermes, but a Smith Corona Skywriter which I had been searching for all along.  I couldn't decide which one I wanted because they were both in near mint condition.  I ended up buying both and was so glad I did.  I cleaned up the Hermes and it types great and everyting works.  The Skyriter needed a new ribbon and I wanted to clean the inside but couldn't open it up to do it so I ended up taking it to a typewriter repair shop for a tune up and a new ribbon.  I'm still waiting for it and can't wait to get typing on it.

I felt so lucky to have come across these two machines.  There were actually four machines there which included a IBM selectric and I was tempted to get the selectric also, but I just don't have the room and I wanted something I didn't have to plug in.

You can never have too many typewriters.

04-6-2015 09:49:30  #2

Re: Hermes Rocket

Probably a good call on the Selectric. Not only are they big, but they are incredibly complex machines and often develop issues when they go long stretches without use or repair.

04-6-2015 10:53:11  #3

Hi JustAnotherGuy.  I thought the same thing though I love the selectric.  I figured anything could go wrong with them since I used selectrics on the job many many years ago and it would be very costly to repair if I could even find someone in my area to fix one.  Thanks for the input!

04-6-2015 11:07:48  #4

Good call buying both, IMO. I've got a Rocket.  I think yours is earlier than mine.  A Skyriter is on my list for the future.  I definitely want one with white keys, like the one you picked up.

04-6-2015 19:56:23  #5

My Skyriter has green keys which I wanted.  But I'd like to get one with white keys too or a later model.  

04-6-2015 20:06:38  #6

Oh, sorry.  They look white on my screen here.

05-6-2015 03:01:36  #7

Oh God, it's like that dress! I'm seeing a 'seafoam' Hermes Rocket which will have mint green keys, and a brown Skyriter with those white Smith-Corona keys. When Smith-Corona did green keys they were of a dark enough green that they couldn't really look white...

I found an absolutely beautiful 1950 Skyriter, with the green keys and contrasting function keys, and the stripes along the top, and it's a dream. It types really nicely. Then the drawband snapped... 

05-6-2015 05:10:17  #8

I thought of the dress too!  [I ONLY ever saw it as blue and black, btw.].

05-6-2015 05:18:22  #9

Haha, I only ever saw white & gold! The other day on the internet I saw a headline that said 'people who saw white & gold are happier', whatever that means. You seem happy enough to me ;)

05-6-2015 10:49:31  #10

Olivetiger wrote:

Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, the keys are white in this picture. The Skyriter pictured here is a later generation, with a longer return lever. These later Skyriters have white keys, the early ones have green keys (and a tiny carriage return lever).

Board footera