You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-6-2015 10:35:26  #1

Erika Model 10 carriage

Hello experts!

I'm cleaning all my machines. Thouroughly this time around...
Taking off the carriage on a Valentine is easy, but how do I remove the carriage on an Erika 10 from 58? Is there a quick way or is there only the "seperate-everything-from-everything-else-way"?

Knowledge thrown my way would be much appreciated! Thanks.

05-6-2015 06:12:00  #2

Re: Erika Model 10 carriage

Well, I am certainly not an expert on maintaining typewriters but I have owned an Erika model 10 since 1961 which was bought for me for school. I wonder why you want to take the carriage off in the first place if you just want to clean it. You should be able to get to all its bits that might require a clean or a drop of oil just by removing the top cover and if necessary placing it on its back edge to get to the parts at the ends of the platen. They tend to be pretty well protected against dust and I have never really done anything to it apart from a polish and the odd drop of oil in all the years I have had it. I would leave it alone if it's not broke

05-6-2015 07:32:03  #3

Thanks for posting!
Well, you're right of course. I don't have to take it off, but I'd like to know how. I can't get the bodywork off unless I take off the carriage first.
Or have I missed something essential maybe?
But all aside, the machine works like a charm like most model 10's around. 

05-6-2015 16:46:01  #4

Please don't take the carriage off just for fun. They are very hard to get back on correctly; getting the bearings back right usually involves "timing" their starwheels, the little gear-like pieces that keep the bearings exactly where they are supposed to be. They fall out unexpectedly and then the unlucky repairer has no clue where they should go back and even if he does, it's very difficult to get everything lined up and held in place while things are put back. Not to mention several other pretty fussy details. Not worth it.

As for getting the bodywork off, many typewriter designs have a tight fit around the carriage and the method involves moving the carriage to one extreme end or the other (Use the margin release to get to the extremes.), and sometimes each in sequence, and then easing the body off past the carriage as if it's one of those wire puzzles. Yes, it can be a challenge, but realize that professional repair shops did not want to be removing carriages simply in order to fix an unrelated linkage, and they would know the tricks for removing bodies. Do be careful to avoid fresh scratches, though.

Frankly, I don't understand the obsession new typewriter owners have with removing the carriages. It's rarely necessary for rpairs and never necessary for cleaning.

07-6-2015 08:48:10  #5

It's like owning a vintage car I guess. Wich I do. Part of the fun is being able to take it apart an putting it back together again. That way you know its intricate parts and how it works on all levels. I've collected typewriters for about 15 years for their beauty and for writing books and now I'd like to know them a little better.

Board footera