You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-7-2015 09:35:19  #111

Re: Your Ebay watch list

Here's one that might be good for me to learn about platens.

# 231627452937

Vintage 1950's Olympia SM-3 Typewriter - Color: Light Green

Was tempted to snipe because of price + book & kit.

Taking a pass because photos look like the platen has been hammered. String of question marks, 0's,  and letters across it.
----
1.) This is a *good* thing (shows platen still has some give to it?)

2.) Best avoided if letters imprinted in it?

3.) Doesn't matter.

Appreciate patience with these beginner questions.  I'll learn. 

26-7-2015 11:52:51  #112

I say if the price is right, then it doesn't matter. Most of my typewriters have letter imprints on them, and that usually means that it's hard (or at least in my case). Just use a backing sheet of scrap paper in between the sheet you're typing on.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-7-2015 19:06:40  #113

ztyper wrote:

I say if the price is right, then it doesn't matter. Most of my typewriters have letter imprints on them, and that usually means that it's hard (or at least in my case). Just use a backing sheet of scrap paper in between the sheet you're typing on.

Cool.  Two of mine have vertical lines hammered into them over the years, but never seen one where looks like maybe someone tested it w/o paper?

???????????

Anyway, I'll find out because ermm...  My $75 snipe won at $74 & some change.

Figure something has to be wrong with it, or why would someone give it to the Salvation Army?  Otherwise sell it on Craigs List or something.    Maybe I'll get lucky, but probably a good project machine.  : )

Last edited by BrianE (28-7-2015 19:07:24)

29-7-2015 18:12:32  #114

BrianE wrote:

Figure something has to be wrong with it, or why would someone give it to the Salvation Army?  Otherwise sell it on Craigs List or something.    Maybe I'll get lucky, but probably a good project machine.  : )

People donate some awesome stuff to Salvation Army, Goodwill, and DAV stores. Just because it was donated doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with it. In fact, I've found some nice typewriters at the local Goodwill. I've even seen Goodwill sell some Leica cameras, which are insanely expensive, and someone DONATED them to Goodwill. Not everyone sees the value in what they otherwise feel is "old junk".

Last edited by Retro-Z (29-7-2015 18:12:52)

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

29-7-2015 18:33:09  #115

Retro-Z wrote:

Not everyone sees the value in what they otherwise feel is "old junk".

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell people not to do! As the old say goes, "One man's junk is another man's treasure" 

29-7-2015 23:27:55  #116

that goes both ways.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

30-7-2015 20:13:55  #117

Looks like all of you were right!  Was very plesantly surprised because I'd been expecting the worst. 

An owner's manual that survived 56 years in perfect condition was simply stuffed into the handle as you can see.

I'm nominating it for BoneHead of the Month packing.  Might also msg. Salvation Army with nasty-gram.

Very disappointing.  Has original kit & inside the case I found maintenance & receipts going up to 1976.  Belonged to a lady who took care of it, and kept records. 

Good news is mounts in case strong enough to prevent any real damage to machine itself.  The paper conductor had fallen off & was jangling around in there but no harm done. 

Typewriter is the best I've had the pleasure of using in the short time I've been into this hobby.   Diana and Hermes got nothin' on Mt. Olympus!

"Ztyper" - thanks for reassurance or I'd have never bid on it.

Now to try and flatten out owner's book & find spring for paper conductor.

Brian 

31-7-2015 03:15:29  #118

Well, come on - let's see the tyewriter then! I love an SM3 and have never seen a light green one. Your case is in incredible condition - mine is much more flaky and chipped...

31-7-2015 12:15:37  #119

Well I'm glad you enjoy it! The Olympia SM line is one of my favorites and I love the touch of the SM-3/4. And nice score with extra records that most people just throw away! I love it when they come with extras like that.

31-7-2015 19:08:09  #120

Thanks for replies. 

Found the spring!  Yay!  Had looked in case 10 times & sifted through all packing materials.  Finally, was cleaning inside of case with brush & packing tape, when something fell out from behind a little crevice.  Hey!  Been looking for that! 

Anyway, here's machine in its happy home.  When using this laptop, flip towel up & slide typewriter over by phone.

Good news on platen too.  What I'd thought were letters hammered into it turned out to be ink.  Otherwise very clean.  Only other thing I did was clean typeface & rub down the carriage rails with oil-cloth.

Can't imagine life in 1959.  Receipts seem to be in her name, but return address is (husband's) name?  Someone's SSN is engraved on the back plate!  (edited that part out)

So Mr or Mrs Mueller's typewriter has happy home.  Still disappointed about owner's book, but it's a done deal now.

And the more I use it-- will be interesting to see...  Royal 10 or SM3 one as my "go to" machine.

Happy typing everyone!

Brian

Last edited by BrianE (31-7-2015 19:11:32)

Board footera