You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-11-2015 06:29:03  #171

Re: Your Ebay watch list

@Ztyper Haha Ive got to try putting my ugly machines next to my nicer ones to make them look nicer. 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-11-2015 11:39:25  #172

KatLondon wrote:

Surely this has to be the ugliest thing anyone here has ever seen... I've looked at it several times today in a sort of morbid fascination...

I actually love the way it looks and would buy it in a heartbeat if it was local to me. As is, even if they offered international shipping, I'd be afraid of the cost. For some reason parcel post from the UK to Canada is usually astronomically expensive.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-11-2015 14:03:25  #173

Uwe wrote:

KatLondon wrote:

Surely this has to be the ugliest thing anyone here has ever seen... I've looked at it several times today in a sort of morbid fascination...

I actually love the way it looks and would buy it in a heartbeat if it was local to me. As is, even if they offered international shipping, I'd be afraid of the cost. For some reason parcel post from the UK to Canada is usually astronomically expensive.

I'm with you -- maybe it's one of those "jolie laide" things, but I find it rather cool looking, actually. Of course, handsome is as handsome does.

03-11-2015 16:07:07  #174

It all depends what type of machines you like. I like the huge old 100 year old standards. 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-11-2015 23:04:29  #175

Uwe wrote:

KatLondon wrote:

I agree with Uwe on this one... I'm not big on standards but I love the bold, ribbed front -- and that ABC logo tops it!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

04-11-2015 03:12:02  #176

I admit it is interesting! But looks to me like the typewriter precursor of a giant warehouse store. V much of its time, yes yes. Visceral personal reaction! I do find it kind of fascinating but not in a way that makes me want it in the house...

04-11-2015 10:33:55  #177

KatLondon wrote:

I do find it kind of fascinating but not in a way that makes me want it in the house...

I would not only want it in the house, but proudly displayed in a prominent location where it would be majestically presented atop a velvet perch and bathed in the soft incandescent glow of a lone flood lamp. Visitor's would be filled with awe at first sight, and only after donning white cotton gloves, be allowed to trace their fingertips over its seductive and alluring form. Lesser machines in the house would be obliged to pay tribute to its magnificence, and to quietly curse the ineptness of the designers responsible for their comparative shortcomings and relative ugliness.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-11-2015 13:25:46  #178

Hahaha! The Brothers and Silver Reeds...

Well I have to say, I like this image! I;m all for over-the-top. Anyway it's going cheap ;) 

12-11-2015 05:22:28  #179

This description of a "Script Font" splendid 66 looks like a mistake by a seller, but I sent them a message anyway asking for a type sample to verify. It annoys me to think that someone possibly new to typewriters might be thinking they're bidding for a Script typeface. Grr!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Olympia-Splendid-66-Portable-Typewriter-w-Case-Script-Font-PWO-VGC-/361427506764?

12-11-2015 09:06:59  #180

malole wrote:

This description of a "Script Font" splendid 66 looks like a mistake by a seller, but I sent them a message anyway asking for a type sample to verify. It annoys me to think that someone possibly new to typewriters might be thinking they're bidding for a Script typeface. Grr!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Olympia-Splendid-66-Portable-Typewriter-w-Case-Script-Font-PWO-VGC-/361427506764?

It's not a good sign that it's in the case upside down (although I would worry less about it here than in a hard case with anchorages).

Board footera