You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2016 19:07:35  #221

Re: Your Ebay watch list

FYI: I'm not bidding. I wish!

09-6-2016 21:05:14  #222

They say it is a 1967 model--impossible.  I looked on the tag on the back that gave an address of New York 6 New York.  If I'm not mistaken, that was nomenclature used before they had the ZIP code system, which was put into place in 1964.  So, unless they used a lot of old plates like that when they shipped those Olympias stateside, that is not a '67 SG3--it would be a '63 or '64 model at the latest.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

10-6-2016 11:33:01  #223

TypewriterKing wrote:

So, unless they used a lot of old plates like that when they shipped those Olympias stateside, that is not a '67 SG3--it would be a '63 or '64 model at the latest.

The introduction of non-mandatory use zip codes was in 1963. And it was only made mandatory for bulk mailers in 1967, around the same time that businesses and the general public began to adopt it in real numbers¹. Short of knowing its serial number there's no reason why it can't be a '67 model N, all of its features are correct for the year, and most telling the colour scheme is right as it wasn't until '68 that the green trim was replaced with slate-coloured plastic.   

¹ Source = https://about.usps.com/publications/pub100/pub100_029.htm

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-6-2016 06:46:53  #224

Facit Electric Typewriter

They call manuals electrics and they call electrics manuals, and they call a cover a case. Fine looking machine which accommodates both film and fabric ribbons under the hood, and improbably has a QWERTY keyboard. Even more improbable I believe the sticker on the front has a New York, NY address! Souvenir from a party junket?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

12-6-2016 16:12:35  #225

Uwe wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

So, unless they used a lot of old plates like that when they shipped those Olympias stateside, that is not a '67 SG3--it would be a '63 or '64 model at the latest.

The introduction of non-mandatory use zip codes was in 1963. And it was only made mandatory for bulk mailers in 1967, around the same time that businesses and the general public began to adopt it in real numbers¹. Short of knowing its serial number there's no reason why it can't be a '67 model N, all of its features are correct for the year, and most telling the colour scheme is right as it wasn't until '68 that the green trim was replaced with slate-coloured plastic.   

¹ Source = https://about.usps.com/publications/pub100/pub100_029.htm

Well, you learn something new everyday.  I was under the impression that everyone changed over in the U.S. in 1964.  I guess something big like that would take at least several years to go into full use.  Thanks for the info on that, and the typewriter. 

12-6-2016 16:17:42  #226

Repartee wrote:

Facit Electric Typewriter

They call manuals electrics and they call electrics manuals, and they call a cover a case. Fine looking machine which accommodates both film and fabric ribbons under the hood, and improbably has a QWERTY keyboard. Even more improbable I believe the sticker on the front has a New York, NY address! Souvenir from a party junket?

I looked at several pictures they had of it at the site, and it does have a QWERTY keyboard.  It reminds me a lot of one I had myself a long time ago.  As big and as strong as that machine was, it sure had spindly little tab stops that looked like not much more than little thin wires.  I didn't want to use the tab much, lest I bent one of the stops in normal use.  I think I ended up selling that one.

12-6-2016 18:42:22  #227

Well here is another Facit Electric come up in short order...

LIME-GREEN-FACIT-ELECTRIC

Of special interest to me is the scale, which clearly goes to 190! Is that 15 CPI ? A giant that types on a pinhead.

If I recall correctly there are several members from Ohio, where it can be picked up.   I don't think they love office machines though... 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

12-6-2016 20:42:23  #228

It's a beautiful machine, but @ $95.67, it's a little rich for a lot of people's blood, especially for a typewriter made as recently as this one.  And there is no guarantee that it will work, and parts are probably a bit sparse if you could make a repair.  Let 'em go down on the price by about $50.00, and just maybe there will be a taker.

12-6-2016 22:07:47  #229

Repartee wrote:

Fine looking machine which accommodates both film and fabric ribbons under the hood, and improbably has a QWERTY keyboard. Even more improbable I believe the sticker on the front has a New York, NY address!

Why improbable? I have one (Facit 1820) with a QWERTY keyboard, and a cover too.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-6-2016 22:22:30  #230

TypewriterKing wrote:

Thanks for the info on that, and the typewriter. 

I pulled out my '66 and '67 SG3s today to compare and to make sure I was right about my previous points. The '66 and early '67 models were identical to the ones in the eBay auction, so it could still be from '67. However, I was wrong - sort of - about the change from the green colour trim; the change to grey keys instead of white ones and the green being used for the shift keys and left platen knob variable line spacer plunger first appeared in later '67 models, not the '68 models as I previously stated. For the record, these may have, much like cars, been marketed as '68 models even though they were manufactured toward the end of '67.

Board footera