You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-3-2021 20:29:20  #241

Re: Your Ebay watch list

I'll revive this thread with some shopgoodwill sightings.
There is currently an Everest K3 with cursive type up for auction.
Also a full QWERTY keyboard Blickensderfer No. 9 (not DHIATENSOR) is up for auction.
Phil Forrest

21-3-2021 17:57:52  #242

I was so underwhelmed with the typing action and experience on a very nice-conditioned K2, I sent it back to the seller the next day.  It felt "dead" is the only way I can describe it.  Not sure I would be brave enough to try a K3 after that.

22-3-2021 17:02:15  #243

Second generation Hermes 3000 with what looks like Senatorial(?) typeface, up for auction on shopgoodwill.
Phil Forrest

22-3-2021 20:12:04  #244

Phil_F_NM wrote:

Hermes 3000 with what looks like Senatorial(?) typeface

The Hermes type style that looks like Olympia's Senatorial was called Techno.

21-4-2021 07:55:54  #245

There's an Olympia SG with what looks like italic typeface on shopgoodwill. Also is an italic Facit TP1 on the same site. 
Phil Forrest

29-5-2021 07:46:40  #246

Maybe this was already discussed here, or perhaps this goes without saying, but I feel this might be the best thread to say this:

Please do not bid on an eBay auction days or hours before the auctions end! You are gaining nothing and all you are doing is driving the price up for everyone else, and engaging people in bidding wars.

When I bid on an eBay auction, I always bid at the last second, and I always bid the maximum amount I am willing to pay. If I get the item, great, if not, I’ve lost nothing. It’s how everyone should bid, and I always get very frustrated about items having dozens of bids on them after only being listed for a day or two.

If you can’t be there to bid when the auction ends, either don’t bid at-all, or place one bid with the max. amount you are willing to pay (but still do this as late as possible).

eBay encourages you to bid early, so the price of the auction gets driven up, and they earn more revenue. Don’t fall for this. I just felt the need to say this.

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

29-5-2021 09:10:51  #247

Nope.
The whole convenience of online auction sites is that we can bid what our max price we would pay and let it go. That's how I do it and how I will continue to do it. I find something that I might want, establish the max price that I'm willing to pay, then bid. If I'm outbid, that's fine, it wasn't meant to be. If I win, that's fine too. Sorry this doesn't fit with how you would prefer online auctions to work.

Phil Forrest

29-5-2021 09:40:21  #248

The proper way to bid is to bid your maximum as soon as you see the auction, then walk away and vow not to go back. Then go cut the lawn, paint the shed, rebuild the motorcycle engine as that pretty burgundy typewriter flits back and forth between your ears. Ignore the fact that you did happen to notice when the auction ends. Blank it out, because it doesn't matter. You are stronger than that. Reward yourself for not breaking your vow. Have a beer, congratulations on your strength of will!

Just because the auction ends, race home from the all night grocery store at high speed and jump on your computer. You've been outbid! What to do? Don't do it, you know you shouldn't do it. Walk away, quickly. Arggg, you run back and outbid the %$#@ who outbid you, but he's already outbid you so now you're angry and you fire one back at him. Doesn't that worthless bum know how long YOU have been waiting for this to come along? Doesn't that idiot know its not worth that much? You're going to show him, so you bid something ridiculously high and you win! You win! Then you spend the rest of the night punching yourself over and over for being such an idiot and do it all over again the following week.

29-5-2021 09:47:14  #249

Phil_F_NM wrote:

Nope.
The whole convenience of online auction sites is that we can bid what our max price we would pay and let it go. That's how I do it and how I will continue to do it. I find something that I might want, establish the max price that I'm willing to pay, then bid. If I'm outbid, that's fine, it wasn't meant to be. If I win, that's fine too. Sorry this doesn't fit with how you would prefer online auctions to work.

Phil Forrest

"If you can’t be there to bid when the auction ends, either don’t bid at-all, or place one bid with the max. amount you are willing to pay..."

I mean, yea, that’s what I wrote you should do. 

29-5-2021 09:52:28  #250

overwood wrote:

The proper way to bid is to bid your maximum as soon as you see the auction, then walk away and vow not to go back. Then go cut the lawn, paint the shed, rebuild the motorcycle engine as that pretty burgundy typewriter flits back and forth between your ears. Ignore the fact that you did happen to notice when the auction ends. Blank it out, because it doesn't matter. You are stronger than that. Reward yourself for not breaking your vow. Have a beer, congratulations on your strength of will!

Just because the auction ends, race home from the all night grocery store at high speed and jump on your computer. You've been outbid! What to do? Don't do it, you know you shouldn't do it. Walk away, quickly. Arggg, you run back and outbid the %$#@ who outbid you, but he's already outbid you so now you're angry and you fire one back at him. Doesn't that worthless bum know how long YOU have been waiting for this to come along? Doesn't that idiot know its not worth that much? You're going to show him, so you bid something ridiculously high and you win! You win! Then you spend the rest of the night punching yourself over and over for being such an idiot and do it all over again the following week.

This is precisely why you should bid as late as possible. Bidding early only compels others to do the same, driving the price up. Auctions with lots of bids and bidders also get featured and recommended more by Ebay to other users. 

Board footera