You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-6-2015 08:33:53  #51

Re: Your Ebay watch list

Seller of the Hebrew typeface Imperial just got back to me, saying I can go and test it out,( but won't/can't provide a type sample). But my request was made before it was relisted. Botheration.

17-6-2015 11:40:04  #52

You know, it's like this lovely cream Silent-Super that's just been listed - there are four pictures of different bits of the machine, but none of the whole thing, or the case. You think: a, what's he hiding? And b, is this someone who will be able to be bothered to pack it carefully?

This Good Companion person seems at the very least a little bit excitable, & also to be someone to makes their problems into everyone else's problems...

17-6-2015 11:59:22  #53

I see what you mean about the Silent Super. "More pictures to follow"  2 hrs left!

17-6-2015 18:08:47  #54

Perssonally, I think a type sample is a massive selling point when buying on line.  Sure, as Uwe points out, there are dangers (just show a sample from another machine, for instance) but it helps me build a little confidence in the sale all the same;  I find that most sellers are fairly honest about things, and that relatively few engage in downright deceit.  If a type sample is not there, I always wonder why!

Sincerely,
beak.

18-6-2015 11:41:36  #55

What do you guys think of this Olympia?  I asked the seller if it the keys strike the platen and if the carriage moves, and he said no, that its been stored uncovered for years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burgundy-Olympia-Manual-Typewriter-Made-in-West-Germany-Serial-1659116-/271899779219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4e7d6093

I do wonder if the carriage lock is on. Cosmetically, I don't think it looks too bad, but the pictures are kind of lousy,

19-6-2015 08:26:23  #56

I only just noticed this Victor S, and I think it is too late for me to consider it. I love the description though.
"Still works, but ink is now faint as expected." There's no ribbon! No spools, even. Sometimes I do wonder. Perhaps the seller thinks the ink comes out of the typeslugs?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Smith-Premier-Victor-S-1930s-Junior-Typewriter-In-Original-Case-/111693442328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1a0172ad18

Spazmelda, what became of the burgandy olympia? I tried to look at the pics but it was a bit too blurry to make anything out.
However, what I am really watching in wide-eyed interest as spectator now, is this beauty:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-The-Royal-Portable-Typewriter-With-Wood-Grain-Finish-1930s-Art-Deco-/391176606008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b13f15138
How did they get that paint effect?!

19-6-2015 08:47:20  #57

I'm assuming you missed the Premiere? I just looked and it was sold. The Olympia has about 1 hour 20 min left. I'm still keeping an eye on it. With the anticipated repairs on the rheinmetall I'm thinking I should save typewriter budget for that.

Regarding ribbon issues... Yeah, maybe they think it comes from the slugs. I was watching a typewriter that had color selector but there was only a black ribbon. The seller stated that 'red doesn't work'. Um... Maybe because you don't have any red ink in there?

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-6-2015 10:32:25)

19-6-2015 10:30:16  #58

I didn't bother bidding on the Victor S, though I love the glossy shape. There seem to be quite a few Remingtons or rebranded remingtons of that era about at the moment, but I still have my Remington 1 to fix up.

19-6-2015 10:36:51  #59

I don't know why I called it a Royal up there I had typed premier, then changed it because I thought I was mis taken. Oh, now I see what I did.

I didn't bid on the Olympia either. It shot up to $38 in the last 15 seconds. I'm in the car on my phone so cell service is going in and out.

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-6-2015 11:45:21)

19-6-2015 11:11:37  #60

OMG, the typing booklet alone looks gorgeous - it's like 'typing with Man Ray'. Up to £11.60 now. It'll skyrocket.

Board footera