You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-6-2015 22:07:12  #71

Re: Your Ebay watch list

This is one I've had my eye on for awhile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Torpedo-Manual-Typewriter-With-Hard-Case-Western-Germany-Free-Shipping-/381295276036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c6f83004

I've always wanted a Torpedo 18, if anything for the looks. But I hear they are great machines, and they give its (very similar looking) counterpart the Olympia SM-3 a run for its money!

P.S.  If anyone has one they don't want, let me know.

Last edited by ztyper (24-6-2015 22:08:20)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

25-6-2015 00:34:26  #72

ztyper wrote:

I've always wanted a Torpedo 18, if anything for the looks. But I hear they are great machines, and they give its (very similar looking) counterpart the Olympia SM-3 a run for its money!

I've got an 18b and a 20, and although they're decent machines in their own right I'd never give up a SM3 for one, not for its looks, and definitley not for its performance.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-6-2015 09:06:18  #73

I found this Erika M in an odd spot on ebay yesterday, but I can't help thinking about it. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-German-Seidel-Naumann-Dresden-ERICA-M-Typewriter-/231601172894?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ec81719e

The seller says there are a few things wrong with it, but I'm sure they're not too bad. However, the ribbon cover is missing. Should I even consider it and make a new one? Or it's not even worth my time?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

25-6-2015 09:31:43  #74

I really wouldnt bother making a new one. I would probably find one thats for parts/repair, and take it from that.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-6-2015 09:50:19  #75

What's with the spacing on the type sample? Did the seller put extra spaces between letters, or is that how it types?

29-6-2015 18:53:50  #76

OK, a few of them on e-bay that I have some questions about.  Hopefully this is the right topic.

What began as sort of a gag gift (personalized typewriter) ended up being kind of interesting because of 3 different badges.

Before I even consider it, probably help to know how common they are in the states.  Royal "Diana" made in W. Germany.

E-Bay USA: 161743251550
"Diana" looks like a decal & machine made in Netherlands

E-Bay UK: 261936824748
Metal badge is on paper rest - W. Germany

E-bay Germany: 251394441773
This one looks the nicest as far as "a typewriter with your name on it"  badge is on right front cover.

-----------
I'm also learning about type size, so curious about this one.  How common, probably wants too much money for it, etc.

E-bay stateside: 111689138515
Underwood "Jewel" with 10 pitch slug size

Comments or more information about these two models welcome. 

thanks

Brian

30-6-2015 01:46:08  #77

The Underwood is not not rare even though you will see other models of that series more frequently. And it looks to be well beaten and "needs light rust removal." I'd pass at that price because it's a $30-40 typewriter - at best.

I've already answered your question about the Diana in another thread. Less common in the U.S. than in Europe. I wouldn't buy any of them, but then again I'm a frugal collector and think they're all overpriced. If the pricing doesn't bother you I'd opt for one of the German-made models since it was probably manufactured in the Triumph factory and it has a more intriguing case design than the Dutch model.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-6-2015 12:21:51  #78

Uwe wrote:

The Underwood is not not rare even though you will see other models of that series more frequently. And it looks to be well beaten and "needs light rust removal." I'd pass at that price because it's a $30-40 typewriter - at best.

I've already answered your question about the Diana in another thread. Less common in the U.S. than in Europe. I wouldn't buy any of them, but then again I'm a frugal collector and think they're all overpriced. If the pricing doesn't bother you I'd opt for one of the German-made models since it was probably manufactured in the Triumph factory and it has a more intriguing case design than the Dutch model.  

Thanks, that saves me on the Underwood.  One in Germany has "make offer" I think.  Might ask her some questions if can find someone to help me w/my conversational German.

Also occurs to me might be going about this the wrong way.

Room for one more portable and then really.  We're out of space until sell some of our treasures...

So what's just a nice very comfortable portable you might suggestion to someone who's interested?  I know you mentioned SC-12.  Any others?

30-6-2015 14:09:56  #79

BrianE wrote:

Might ask her some questions if can find someone to help me w/my conversational German.

Google Translate is not reliable for professional use, but for an eBay auction your questions will most likely be understood. 

BrianE wrote:

So what's just a nice very comfortable portable you might suggestion to someone who's interested?

My suggestion would be to buy one locally, one that you can thoroughly test and see if you like using. Past that it depends on which era you would like a portable from. I'm partial to machines from the '50s, but maybe you want something more modern, or more "antique".

30-6-2015 19:19:54  #80

Uwe's right: buy one you can test.

The sine qua non of the nice comfortable portable must be the Olympia SM9, though, or SM8. I also love the Hermes 3000, and the Smith-Corona Silent-Super. Of the ultra-compact ones, the Olympia splendid and Hermes Baby are both - well - splendid. But there are tons of really  nice machines out there and that is the problem!

Board footera