You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-7-2015 14:33:05  #81

Re: Your Ebay watch list

Uwe wrote:

Google Translate is not reliable for professional use, but for an eBay auction your questions will most likely be understood.

My suggestion would be to buy one locally, one that you can thoroughly test and see if you like using. Past that it depends on which era you would like a portable from. I'm partial to machines from the '50s, but maybe you want something more modern, or more "antique".

Remembered enough to politely ask if she speaks English because my German isn't very good.  Fortunately her English is probably *far* better than my German.  : ) 

I'd love to "try before I buy" but for a city its size, San Antonio doesn't seem to have many typewriters.  The ones I have seen are probably from the 70's and seem very high at around $60-$100

KatLondon wrote:

Uwe's right: buy one you can test.

The sine qua non of the nice comfortable portable must be the Olympia SM9, though, or SM8. I also love the Hermes 3000, and the Smith-Corona Silent-Super. Of the ultra-compact ones, the Olympia splendid and Hermes Baby are both - well - splendid. But there are tons of really  nice machines out there and that is the problem!

Thanks!  I'll keep those in mind.  I just hunt & peck, but Missus touch types & doesn't like (or remember) the shift keys moving the entire carriage mechanism.  Slows her down because I think the idea is to press each key with same pressure.  Shift requires more pressure & is "clunky" in her opinion... 

So at some point I guess an advancement was having the typing mechanism go down rather than moving the carriage up?

I hope that makes sense.  Need to learn the technical terms.  : )

01-7-2015 16:47:21  #82

BrianE wrote:

So at some point I guess an advancement was having the typing mechanism go down rather than moving the carriage up?

I hope that makes sense.  Need to learn the technical terms.  : )

That's the basket-shift or segment-shift typewriter, rather than carriage shift (which goes up) Yes, I prefer the segment shift too, though I always used a clunky upwards carriage shifted machine before.
Typewriters that I know of that have the segment shift are the Lettera 22 & 32, the Smith Corona Silent & Smith Corona Sterling,  Smith Corona Classic 12, and two of my Adler Tippas the Tippa S have segment shift as well. I'm sure others will point out other segment shifted machines too. My knowledge is limited to the machines that I own. Though some carriage shifts are lighter than others by quite a bit.

Last edited by malole (01-7-2015 17:29:27)

01-7-2015 16:53:41  #83

I like carriage shift models. Why? No clue...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

02-7-2015 19:30:00  #84

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371362436316?nav=SEARCH
Here's a nice early Smith-Corona that is at a pretty low price. Look closely at the the type slugs. Do you see it? This appears to be a cursive\italic machine. If you you want it you should act quick, it ends in a half hour.

03-7-2015 06:49:51  #85

Ah, the Smith-Corona ended before I got a chance to see it.  $47, not a bad price for a cursive typewriter.  Did someone here manage to get it?

03-7-2015 06:58:52  #86

Nope D:

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

06-7-2015 19:56:52  #87

Here's another steal. At the time of posting, this Hermes 3000 is going for $10 plus shipping. Better act fast, 2 hours left.

06-7-2015 19:59:26  #88

Oops, forgot to add that it's item no.201381328696

06-7-2015 22:04:40  #89

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Oops, forgot to add that it's item no.201381328696

Woot! Thanks, and it's cursive!

06-7-2015 22:36:09  #90

You bought it? That's great! I was hoping someone here would bite.

Board footera