You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2015 15:16:20  #1

Carriage return: Smith Corona Clipper

Hi

My type writer doesn't go down a new line when i use the return lever.

I have a Smith Corona Clipper 1940's era. When i use the return lever the mechanics seems to tick over correctly it just doesnt pick up the platen. The platen stays still. Is there a way of resitting the platen or something.

Help please

09-6-2015 16:23:46  #2

Re: Carriage return: Smith Corona Clipper

Was it this way when you first had the typewriter?

09-6-2015 17:39:35  #3

Sounds like one of the levers that raises the platen is still engaged. Try playing around with each of the levers around the platen.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

09-6-2015 20:20:20  #4

Odd... it's a very simple mechanism that advances the platen on my Smith Corona Sterling (mechanically almost identical to the Clipper), with a toothed gear on one end, which is engaged by "finger" connected to the carriage return lever. The number of spaces is dictated by the line setting lever (for 1, 1.5, 2, 3, or whatever space settings the Clipper provides), and this lever is basically nothing more than an adjustable stop that prevents the carriage return lever from advancing the platen past the desired setting.

Perhaps the tooth on the "finger" is damaged, or the spring which holds the finger in place is disconnected or broken? Some close up pics of the left end of your platen would help, showing the area where the carriage return lever engages the advance mechanism for the platen.

Last edited by Retro-Z (09-6-2015 20:21:15)

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

10-6-2015 16:35:02  #5

Is there any possiblity that the freehead is stuck in the 'released' position ?  If this were the case, the linespace ratchet would turn, but the platen would not.

Board footera