You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-6-2015 04:58:13  #11

Re: A Royal Deal on a De Luxe?

I can only think that it is the Touch Control - I have never heard the term either.  I think that the later models did have a longer slot for the slider to work in.

15-6-2015 10:29:14  #12

Thanks for your thoughts on what it might be. I'll try to track down the "author" of that entry and get it clarified.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-6-2015 13:11:59  #13

BrianE wrote:

Two more questions & call it a wrap. 
1.) S/N site has year and also, "... long row switch-lever starts with s/n 471,00."

Okay, I got to the bottom of that entry in the database. It turned out to be a poor translation from German. I looked at the original German text, and the translation should have read "longer line space lever." So, it has nothing to do with the touch control. Also, the database currently shows this in the wrong row; it should be in the 1935 row, and not under 1936.

To explain the entry in greater detail, the Royal Model A (the Quiet De Luxe is in that model range) was introduced in 1935 starting with serial number 471,000. The Model A featured nickel-chromium plated components and a longer line space lever. Nickel-chromium plating means that the metal was first nickel plated, and then chrome plated.

EDIT: The database has just been updated to reflect this information, so anyone looking for the original entry will no longer be able to find it.

Last edited by Uwe (15-6-2015 15:04:06)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-6-2015 19:38:44  #14

Thought I was done, but that leads to a question.  Royal De Luxe & Royal De Luxe / Quiet. 

They're basically the same machines?  The former has chrome on top & bottom while latter has chrome on the top?  Assuming later models changed the shape of some keys and dispensed with the chrome entirely.

So "quiet" more a marketing term?  Plenty of ads out there but for own research will need to see what's available are as far as company liturature, catalogs, service manuals, etc.

BTW: new ribbon arrived today, so all that time & effort with carborator cleaner, mineral spirits... Almost literally a real headache to clean, but it's a wonderful machine.  No wonder they seem to be so popular!

16-6-2015 12:05:26  #15

BrianE wrote:

Royal De Luxe & Royal De Luxe / Quiet. 

You mean the Royal De Luxe, Royal Quiet, and Royal Quiet De Luxe?

BrianE wrote:

They're basically the same machines?  The former has chrome on top & bottom while latter has chrome on the top?  Assuming later models changed the shape of some keys and dispensed with the chrome entirely.

I think it's important to remember that you're comparing different generations of the same model(s). The Quiet (below) and De Luxe (yours) models preceded the Quiet De Luxe, and at some point, I think 1939, the Quiet was dropped the De Luxe renamed to Quiet De Luxe because Royal introduced more budget friendly versions of the machine such as the Varsity. I believe when those two models that had the upper and lower nickel-chromium trim were merged into one model, the Quiet De Luxe, the lower trim piece was dropped. A real Royal aficionado would be able to verify or correct all of this, but that's my lose understanding of the model's history.

BrianE wrote:

So "quiet" more a marketing term?  Plenty of ads out there but for own research will need to see what's available are as far as company liturature, catalogs, service manuals, etc.

No, it wasn't just marketing hype. I have compared a few manufacturers quiet/noiseless/silent models with the standard version of the same generation with a sound meter and found that they are in fact less noisy. In some cases barely (you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference with your ears as it was only a few dB), and in others there was an appreciable difference. I've not compared the '30s Royal Quiet to say a Varsity yet, but I suspect that there will be a notable difference between them.

16-6-2015 19:01:37  #16

Yes, other than one word on the paper guide (and of course Made In Canada) they both look identical.  I'd thought "Royal De Luxe" = 2 bands of chrome while "Royal Quiet" had one band around where you open it to clean or inspect ribbon.

Appreciate the info.  Interesting that people would want them quiet btw.  Since I'm a novice, I kind of like the "tap tap tap" sound, but can see how that might quickly get old.

Have a couple of phones with what was called a #2 dial.  Very early and very noisey.  "Riiikk--ticka-tic..."   Once started using rotaries on daily basis, quickly decided old dials sound like they have gravel in them.  Quiet rotary dial much more pleasant to the ears.  : )

17-6-2015 00:23:56  #17

BrianE wrote:

Interesting that people would want them quiet btw.  Since I'm a novice, I kind of like the "tap tap tap" sound, but can see how that might quickly get old 

It's not so much for the typist, but for anyone esle who might happen to be within earshot of the typewriter. For example, the difference between a regular model and its muffled counterpart can be the difference between indulging in a late night typing sessionin and waking someone trying to sleep.

29-6-2015 20:24:56  #18

Youve just gotta wonder, how teachers could stand hearing that all day, from 20 students typing at once...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera