You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-6-2015 18:08:52  #1

Typing with your portable

When you type with your portable typewriter, do you leave it in the case (if you have a case)?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

13-6-2015 18:59:28  #2

Re: Typing with your portable

It all depends on the case itself, and where I am. If the case top comes off easily, then I'll leave the typewriter on the bottom if I'm going to be typing on my lap. Or if I'm in a place where there's not much space, or it's just for a little bit, then I'll leave the case on. If I'm at home, or there's a desk, I'll take the typewriter out of the case.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-6-2015 01:45:44  #3

I always take them out of the case.

14-6-2015 07:22:16  #4

If I was out and using a typewriter it would be one of the small ones anyway - Baby or Skyriter or Tippa - so it would just be a lid... At home, I never leave anything in its case or on its base, if I'm using it.

When I got my Remington Envoy it was filthy inside - it had clearly never been taken off its base. The young couple I got it from had loved it, but it had clearly never even occurred to them to undo the screws and clean it underneath. As per your other thread, I think they hadn't been reading the typosphere!

14-6-2015 13:32:52  #5

Never. There are some travel cases that wouldn't allow you to use the machine without removing it anyway, and others that hold a stench even better than the machine it's protecting. Even when travelling I don't use the original travel case. I've found modern equipment bags are not only lighter, but offer far better protection. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-6-2015 18:15:45  #6

What equipment bags?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-6-2015 19:44:11  #7

I use a Gator Case. It's thickly padded and and is a perfect fit for many of my ultra-portables. As a bonus it has a shoulder strap so you can carry the typewriter hands free, and it also has an large outside pocket to carry a notebook, pens, or whatever else you want to keep with the typewriter. I've used the bag for several trips and it's great for use as carry-on luggage when flying.

Used with my 1959 Royal Royalite:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-6-2015 20:55:45  #8

I always remove mine from the case when typing. The darn cases tend to get in my way.

Edit for grammar.

Last edited by SpokaneNostalgia (14-6-2015 20:56:43)

"[...] modern writing does not consist in picking out words for the sake of their meaning and inventing images to make the meaning clearer. It consists in gumming together long strips of words that have already been set in order by someone else, and making the results presentable by sheer humbug." - George Orwell

22-7-2015 22:11:25  #9

Hey Uwe, 

Which model gator case is that? That looks like a perfect fit for my Lettera 32. I need something as the original case is broke (as most of them fell apart after a few years) and I am looking for a good replacement. Also, my father had that same Royalite. I think he ended up throwing it away when he moved...  Wish I still had it now. 

23-7-2015 08:32:10  #10

Hey Uwe, 

I have narrowed that bag down to a gator G mix B 1212 bag. It's inside dimensions are listed as 12 x12 by 5 or 5.5 inches. My Lettera 32 measures 12.5 by 12.75 (or really 13 wide looking at the carriage) by 3. I am wondering if your Royalite dimensions are similar. I just want to make sure the lettera fits before I purchase. I am thinking the soft padded bag allows for a little bit more play in the walls so that it would fit. 

J.

Last edited by James Henry (23-7-2015 08:36:05)

Board footera