You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-6-2015 07:08:04  #1

WTB Royal FP

Looking for fully-working example in very good all-round condition.  

Would also swap for near-mint Alpina SK24.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
beak.

21-6-2015 17:06:54  #2

Re: WTB Royal FP

I really thought somebosy would jump at your offer of a swap. Maybe no one has the Royal...

21-6-2015 17:18:37  #3

I think the Alpina is not that well known in the USA and Canada - which is where all the Royal FPs are, it seems!

One US site mentions the Alpina at the top of its 'Best portable' guide, but follows that by;  'Don't bother trying to find one in America.'

Last edited by beak (22-6-2015 04:33:26)

Sincerely,
beak.

21-6-2015 22:29:50  #4

Sorry, I'm not wanting to part with my FP.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

22-6-2015 14:10:28  #5

I just got one, but the paint is a bit rough in spots, otherwise I would have offered it. It works flawlessly, though.

Of all typewriters, why the FP? It's not very nice looking, and although the touch is excellent it's not as good as the HH that preceded it nor the Empress that followed in my own opinion.

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (22-6-2015 14:10:47)

22-6-2015 19:58:14  #6

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

I just got one, but the paint is a bit rough in spots, otherwise I would have offered it. It works flawlessly, though.

Of all typewriters, why the FP? It's not very nice looking, and although the touch is excellent it's not as good as the HH that preceded it nor the Empress that followed in my own opinion.

I guess appreciation of looks is personal - I like the look.
Would like to hear (from anyone) why the other models are 'better' - since I've never used any of these machines (you hardly ever see them over here) and I picked the FP on looks, since they are all reported as good typers.
Maybe PM me a picture of yours, if it's up for sale? - maybe I can live with the paintwork.

Sincerely,
beak.

22-6-2015 20:26:33  #7

beak wrote:

Would like to hear (from anyone) why the other models are 'better' - since I've never used any of these machines (you hardly ever see them over here) and I picked the FP on looks, since they are all reported as good typers.
Maybe PM me a picture of yours, if it's up for sale? - maybe I can live with the paintwork.

It's all opinion based, really. I find that those two models have a more smooth and crisp touch, but to be quite honest they all feel very similar. While I'm not a fan of the FP's design, I can see why you like it.

Also, I sent to PM with pictures.

22-6-2015 21:06:39  #8

Now I wish I picked up an FP at a flea market while I had the chance, but I had my hands full with a Royal 10...

I happen to really like the look of an FP, it just looks like a more... 50's KMM. With smooth paint too. Hope you find one!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-6-2015 11:46:07  #9

beak wrote:

I have three FP typewriters at the moment and want to buy a few more (they're quite common here) because I plan to rent them out for film and stage use. I fully agree with you that the FP's design is intriguing, and some of its details, like the brushed nickel trim, is just wonderful to look at. I also own all the Royal standard models made before the FP, and two Empress models that were made after. They are all characterized by a very nice type action, so in terms of performance I'd find it difficult to justify ranking one higher than the other. In short, you can safely buy whichever model appeals the most to you visually and not worry that you've missed out on getting a better typewriter. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-6-2015 07:48:01  #10

... & meanwhile, on the other side of town, I am - as Beak predicted - really coming to like my Alpina. It  has a really sharp, crisp action but with a sort of muffled, soft undertone - it feels like a sort of cross between an Olympia and a Hermes. Has a really lovely pica typeface and crisp, clean type. The features are great, and it has my own personal favourite margin-release button. And it looks the absolute business. Mine is two-tone, 1962, but the one Beak is offering also looks wonderful. It's the fifties on a mat, and - with so much iconic fifties style coming from America - one thing that's really nice about the Alpina is that it's distinctively European. (Don't even ask me what I mean by that! I've just noticed a difference between the US and the European typewriters and this one sort of typifies that...)

Board footera