You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-6-2015 19:24:29  #1

Information on Royal Electric line

I'll admit it, I have an obsession with big chunky office electrics. One of my favorite typewriters is my '50s RE, or  Royal Electric. I've started my search for the other generations in this line, and at some point I hope to own one of each in working order. Of course, I need to actually know how many there are in the first place! There is a lack of information about these online, so I'm going to start compiling information and eventually I plan to put it on my blog for future researchers. Anything will help. Ads, pictures, maybe even production dates. Thanks in advance!

I will update this thread as I find more information.

22-6-2015 19:56:46  #2

Re: Information on Royal Electric line

I found a Royal Electric on Ebay for repair, maybe you can try repairing it. Im not a big electric fan. Its on ebay. Its grey. I cant currently find it, but it hasnt sold yet. Ill give a link when I find it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

22-6-2015 19:59:39  #3

It looked like this, but grey

Back from a long break.

22-6-2015 20:02:41  #4

I've actually got two of that generation right now, one grey and one lime green. Thanks anyways.

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (22-6-2015 20:03:22)

22-6-2015 20:21:41  #5

Your welcome

Back from a long break.

22-6-2015 21:08:34  #6

I know there's the Royal Electress, the electric version of the Empress (or really, the Empress is the manual version of the Electress) and one in between, but I don't know the name. Other than that, I'm really not sure.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

22-6-2015 22:35:58  #7

My parents have a Royal Academy in their basement.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-6-2015 11:53:12  #8

colrehogan wrote:

My parents have a Royal Academy in their basement.

I should have been more specific. I'm looking for information on a certain line, which may be confusing because in ads it is literally called "the Royal Electric" (it was Royal's only electric typewriter at the time) until the Electress and other generations following. These machines are about the same size as a standard office typewriter, the Academy as I understand it is a portable.

24-6-2015 21:49:37  #9

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I thought it was a category of electric Royal typewriters.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-2-2016 19:20:44  #10

I don't have any particular ads, but here's what I know from the 35 years I've spent pokin' at these critters:  Royal started building an electric typewriter in 1949.  From about 1949 to I'm thinking about 1954, these were known as RP typewriters.  They were a little different from the REs that came a little later, in that they had two return keys--one on the left as well as the right side of the keyboard.  The repeat underscore lever on the top right-hand side was underscore only--you had to shift into capital letters to use it--otherwise you've just printed a bunch of sixes.  The RE machines, made from 1954 to 1959, were a little more refined.  They had an improved repeat underscore AND hyphen lever, a repeat horizontal and vertical spacer.  The vertical spacer on these is neat in that it didn't use the return key.  You could be anywhere on the writing line to be able to use it.  The RE also had an "air brake" for the return because on the RP, it would tend to return so hard the machine would skitter to the right some--not to mention the wear and tear on the margin stops.  Like the Royal HH manual counterpart, the RE also had a time-saver top release on the upper left-hand side of the front of the machine.  When the machine is unplugged, the switch will automatically turn itself off, since it is an electromagnetically actuated switch.  The RE used a fluted shaft to actuate the cams instead of using a rubber power roller, as did the RP and the Emperor which was made just before the Electress--these used the rubber roller.  You don't want to break a carriage return strap on this one!  If this happens, soon as you can, instantly if not sooner, shut the machine off.  If you don't the return clutch will stay engaged and the internal takeup spring will be shredded. If you are starting one up for the first time, be sure to turn it up on its back unplugged first.  Take off the bottom plate and you'll see some pincer-like cams along the fluted shaft.  Make sure the pincers are open because this will mean that each is not engaged on the shaft.  Too many cams closed on the shaft will mean that the toothed belt will be chewed up when you turn it on, so open all the cams, replace the plate, and turn the machine back on its feet before you plug it in and turn it on.  One last thing:  These goliaths were built like tanks, and were second only to IBM in popularity.  They seem a bit rarer these days, but if you search high and low, you can find one hiding somewhere.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera