You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-6-2015 20:31:45  #11

Re: Why?

Fine, a typewriter to a word processor program is a fair comparison then. I can see your point with addressing an envelope, a typewriter would certainly beat any old internet machine there. But even compared to a word precessor program, I hate to say the typewriter doesn't win. Whenever I use a typewriter in public, I am constantly bombarded with the question "what happens if you make a mistake" all day long. I usually reply with either "white-out or I leave it" or "I don't make mistakes." But the latter isn't true. I make plenty of mistakes and they bother me on a level that I can only compare it to when something isn't centered when it's supposed to be. The fact is, any old fool can use Word or some similar program, and in fact, many do. Don't like a paragraph? Delete it and start over. Misspelled a wrod? Go back and spell 'word' right. Want to change the typeface? Ctrl-a and pick from hundreds of them. The fact is, for writing long pieces of text that need to be neat, a computer is currently the superior method of doing so. And my viewpoint of the obsolesence of the typewriter is certainly not from my generation of post-millenials. I had a (friendly) debate with my history teacher back in March about how typewriters were better than computers. She argued that I had no idea about the many procedures of typing up a paper. Like footnotes, kerning, centering, and not making a single mistake. Granted she used a Remington stanard that had a carriage shift, so I suspect her experience was not the best when she had to use that big beast in elementary school. But most adults 55 years and younger that I have talked to does not have fond memories of using a typewriter. What were your thoughts about a computer verses a typewriter back when they were introduced for all to use during the 1980's and 1990's? Was it with awe and amazement? Or disgust and an impending sense of doom? (I'd actually like to know since I didn't exist yet. The past is always more interesting when it's told from those who lived it). Even developing countries are slowly moving away from typewriters. As the rest of the world continues to get better, the lowest standards will rise. It's like how the last telegraph line in India was shut down a few years ago after many years of service. It was invented in the US, spread to the far reaches of the Earth, then slowly disappeared from normal use as there became other means of transporting information. It became obsolete. The definition of obsolete is that something newer had come along and it has replaced the old method. Though obsolete does not mean it cannot be used anymore. I can still use my Royal 10  to type words the same way its previous owner did back in 1928. However saying that the typewriter is not obsolete is just a state of denial. A typewriter is still useful today, but in the way that a steam train is still useful today. It still fulfills its job, but there are other, newer, ways of completing the same task.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-6-2015 20:51:31  #12

I get asked those questions all the time! lol. When I showed my friends at school my typewritten paper, their like "What font is that?". Im like "Its a typewriter". They are like "Oh you mean that typewriter font called special elite on google docs?" Im like "No, I used a typewriter". They are like "Oh so you must mean microsoft word!" Im like "no. I used an actual typewriter" they were like "Theres the delete key so you can delete letters right?" -_-

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

24-6-2015 00:31:04  #13

ztyper wrote:

It's like how the last telegraph line in India was shut down a few years ago after many years of service. It was invented in the US, spread to the far reaches of the Earth, then slowly disappeared from normal use as there became other means of transporting information.

The telegraph was not an American invention. Without looking it up to verify, I'm fairly certain that it was invented by a German and that the first commercial telegraph service operated in England. And I won't even comment on how much damage your so-called superior writing tool, the word processor, has done to your generation, which for the most part seems too willing to rely on machines and other 'smart' devices to do their thinking for them. If you want to believe that a typewriter is as relevant today as a steam locomotive, I'm not the one to convince you otherwise. I see a wide chasm of difference between the two, and I've already written enough to prove that the typewriter is still a useful tool for millions of people the world over. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-6-2015 00:52:45  #14

Various reasons for taking up typing again (I too used TWs in my youth since there was hardly any other way back then) and the basic one is that when an older technology is replaced by a newer, something is always going to be lost.  The thing that is lost may not always be significant - but often it is, and so many people never even consider that they have sacrificed something along the way.  I always want to know what I am giving away when technology changes, so I investigate - so I have quite a lot of old stuff lying around.

I like the silence too - rather the lack of any pressure at all; word-processors always seem to be goading me to complete more quickly than may be good for the work.  Typewriters just wait, without complaint and without runnning down my batteries!

Then there are the skills.  Analogy follows:
I work in film design, designing and drawing settings.  Many people use computers for some of this work, though not as many as people outside the industry imagine - pencil and tracing paper still rule! The computer people at the top of their trade can all work competently by hand too.  Those who cannot never make the top rank.  I guess it's somehow the same with writing, or seems to be so.

Last edited by beak (24-6-2015 00:54:08)

Sincerely,
beak.

24-6-2015 06:42:58  #15

For me at least, typewriters letme write better because you have to thnk before you type, whereas on a computer you can just delete any mistakes.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

24-6-2015 08:21:18  #16

Beak, what you say is really interesting. It's so true.

The immediate reason I'm now a typewriter fanatic is because, one day a year or so ago, when I was laid up with tendonitis in my foot and feeling fretful, I suddenly had a thought: 'I need to get a typewriter'. I have no idea where it came from. But I reached for the laptop (never far away) and as soon as I looked on eBay, I thought, with equal clarity: 'I need to get ALL the typewriters!' Uh oh.  And about half a minute later I thought: 'Oh ****, I am going to have to learn how to type'. For years, a writer who fakes it - using Microsoft's auto-correction feature, going fast as anything till that moment when I have to go back and correct all the mistakes it missed... no, I suddenly realised I was without the one fundamental physical skill for interacting with the tool/s of my trade. We are the most fantastically unskilled generation in the history of humankind. And the ensuing year has been a profound process, involving learning about (and acquiring too many of) the macahines themselves, and learning how to fix and look after them, and learning how to type. Like going back and joining the bottom of the class.

I'm slowly learning to change the way I work and even the way I write. I'm realising that I've internalised the non-linear methodology of the digital world, and even getting a draft out when you can't edit as you go feels scary. What do you do about the first line!? But it's got me keeping a journal again, which rafts of notebooks and nice new pens had failed to achieve, and the journals are increasingly about ideas for work projects. I'm valuing the ime I spend... 

And of course I'm trying to write about the typewriters. 

I still love my laptop and rely on it, and the internet, for a living - and I love my tablet and phone and Dropbox and blog and Facebook and all the rest. The typewriters, though - they're personal. They're like a kid of weird secret that you can tell everybody.

I really believe that although the technology is great, we HAVE to learn how to switch off. We need toremember how to occupy our own space, with no one looking, with no one telling us what to think. Also, to make things. If I think about it, my heroes are all the people who embody that philosophy so why would I not be all about the typewriters? (David Hockney for example has campaigned for years against the absence of drawing instruction in art colleges. Can you imagine. And he wrote a big book about the techniques used by the Old Masters. Knowledge can be lost.) My boyfriend has a 70s sound system and shoots on film (he is a photographer, & recently did a shoot where he used both digital and film; the client chose the film shots).

I've told the story about his kid, who took one look at his dad messing around on a broken Hermes Baby, and said: 'Say, how does one learn to operate one of these devices?' I showed him the Quiet Riter in the next room, and he took one look at THAT and said: 'I'm going to write a story'.

He grew up with notebooks and computers galore, his dad writes, his mum is a publisher, and I write - but it took a typewriter. It is what it is and it lets you just BE. It's less pressure even than a notebook, I feel. Anyway, he now writes all the time, is serious about it (though not, apparently, about line breaks, margins or spelling), and has an Imperial Good Companion at his mum's. And when they move house in a couple of weeks, we're giving him a Quiet Riter of his own for there, too.

We also love how beautiful they are. Affordable icons of the golden age of industrial design!

[Editing in to fix a typo and say, okay, that was 665 words I now need to go replicate somewhere useful. Didnt mean to write such an essay...]

Last edited by KatLondon (24-6-2015 08:23:44)

24-6-2015 08:36:45  #17

The fact is, any old fool can use Word or some similar program, and in fact, many do.

I would debate this -- I've spent years working in offices with many many people who absolutely cannot use word processing software correctly, or even halfway correctly. If I see one more document where people create columns by typing spaces . . . . .

Efficiency is not too powerful an argument for me because efficiency is not always a desirable feature in writing. Talking about typewriters v. word processors always reminds me of David Gerrold's words in his book about writing the Trouble with Tribbles episode of Star Trek:

"...in 1966 I met my first love. An IBM Selectric Typewriter. Such Beauty! Such Grace! Such a Joy to Behold! And it typed nice too. The only reason I mention that fact is that the IBM Selectric was such a superior machine to the ten-year-old Smith-Corona portable it had replaced that my output zoomed up from six pages per eight hours of sweating to thirty pages—and no sweat at all! Imagine that! A machine that could produce five times as much ****. Just what the world needed."

I was in college/graduate school when personal computers became A Thing, and sometimes I used them and sometimes I didn't. Working with typewriters, my method was to type the draft and then the final, rewriting as I went. The only advantage the computers had for me, at the time, was fixing typos more easily -- yes, it was nice to fix a thing and reprint the page instead of retyping the page. But even that didn't seem all that wonderful, because you still had to FIND the typos first. (Something computers still cannot do, as the room of proofreaders across the hall from my office will testify.) And because I could type much faster on a computer, I made many more typos than on a typewriter, where I was more deliberate. So it was a tradeoff from my point of view, an option, as opposed to OMIGOD THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER I GOTTA GET ONE!!

(In fairness, I should add that word processing software in the 1980s was not as easy to use as it is now -- Oh Word Perfect, you could be such a beast!  If I had been presented with word processing software as we know it now, I might have felt differently.)

As for me personally, I make no claims as to what's better. Everything's just a tool, use it or don't. As for typewriters, I collect and use them because they're fun, they're nostalgic, they sound great, they require no electricity, and they look far far more beautiful than any computer I've ever yet seen. (Really, this keyboard that came with my desktop? Why must it look so plastic and hideous? Why??) Typewriters inspire my creativity and further my enjoyment, and a glowing screen doesn't. *shrug*

24-6-2015 08:57:31  #18

I apologize for my historical error; my ethnocentric school system has taught me that it was the US that invented what we think today as the telegraph. I will make sure to double check everything they say as to not make another careless mistake like that again.

And how dare you say that my generation is all too willing to rely on other things and it has had damage done to it, when you are forgetting that we are not the only generation who has been complained about and said to be the worst one yet. Do you not remember how Generation X was put down as being cynical, apathetic, rebelious, and grew up too fast by the Baby Boomers? And even the Baby Boomers were considered rebelious by WWII veterans back in the 50's and 60's. Now you are an adult who is doing well and has grown up. So before you put down a generation, remember that your generation was put down as being the worst back in the 1980's. Have a bit more empathy when saying a whole generaton is bad when it won't be the end-all one. 

As for the subject concerning the obsolesence of the typewriters, the typewriter is by no doubt a useful tool, but so are stone tools. And think about the many other tools we used years ago that are still useful today. What about VHS? Rotary phones? LP records? Incandescent light bulbs? Floppy disk drives? These are all things that can, and do, still serve their purpose, but are now considered obsolete.

However, I can see your point for the typewriter as a better writing tool in general. It's just like a vinyl record: they're superior in sound quality, but have been made obsolete by CD's and CD's have been made obsolete (already) by MP3 players which have been made obsolete (already) by cell phones with the capabilities of downloading music. There are many things that have since replaced the simple vinyl record, but yet it still continues to live on because of its overall sound quality. By all means it's a pain to keep, you have to make sure it's free of dust, doesn't warp from heat, and not to scratch the surface. Not to mention they take up lots of space if you have a large collection. But it's because of the better quality of its main purpose, it lives on. The same could be applied to a typewriter. It produces better writing, but are generally considered a pain to use because of its downsides and accommodations. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

20-8-2015 15:51:11  #19

Typewriters are not obsolete to me. I love them for many reasons, but I remember when I bought my first extra typewriter, I was thinking about the fact that you don't need electricity or a printer. My first computer came to me second-hand without a printer, and though I was pretty thrilled at first, the fact that I couldn't print my work out was ridiculous.
Printers are stupidly expensive ink-guzzling things, which mangle paper, get jams, won't print the right way round, spit out paper, etc etc. I've spent so much of my life the past couple of decades being pissed off with computers and printers for just not doing it right!
Typewriters do it right. They print all my typos perfectly, every time. Each one is unique and real and on the page as I go.
Typewriters and computers are not really comparable machines though.  Computers seem to me made to piss you off and make you spend more money. A typewriter is designed to last. How can it be obsolete if I can dust it off and bring it back to life after 40 years in a shed in one afternoon? I fully expect the laptop I am writing on right now to die on me in the next five years. I will have to spend another x thousand quid to replace it. How stupid and annoying is that?! If typewriters died with such alarming regularity, I would not be into them at all.
Ok, one more thing I like: if someone decided to pinch my typewriter on the train (or wherever) they would just be pinching my machine, not my bank details.

26-8-2015 02:41:37  #20

Well said, malole!

My Macbook Pro is on the way out. Bits are beginning not to work. The 'P' key, for one, has packed up - it doesn't do a thing. To write a word with a p in it I have to paste one in, and if I suddenly need to start a sentence with a P or refer to a guy called Peter, I need to go hunting for a capital P - and in the case of some programmes (eg Gmail) it has to be in the right font, or else it'll throw everything out after it. Considering that the main thing I write about, ie in profiles and book reviews, is 'poetry' and 'poets', you can imagine how very irksome this is. (I'm not on that computer now, I'm on the big iMac I inherited from my aunt, which is also slowly expiring, but in different ways...)

Meanwhile, every single typewriter I own types 'p' absolutely fine! You don't even need to think about it! This feels very advanced and efficient...

Board footera