You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-6-2015 11:53:43  #11

Re: How Addicted to Collecting are you?

I think he's talking about in the signature Brian. (?)

I come in at 14 typewriters, so I guess that puts me at extremely addicted.  I'm sure it won't be long before I edge over the line.  But, not right away.

30-6-2015 12:12:21  #12

You two caught me playing around with it eh? 

Yes, figured it out after you probably saw my cut -n- paste!

Fun summer vacation when heat index is 111F outside.  : )

best

Brian

30-6-2015 13:51:40  #13

I think I might have put the title too low for the amount of typewriters. It probably should be *Current rank* and THEN beginning collector.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

30-6-2015 14:25:12  #14

The numbers come to 21, but I only have 16 in my actual possession right now. It's better than cats. Or steam-rollers. Or tractors.
(edit) How about dreaming about fixing typewriters, and dreaming about finding unheard of typewriters, etc etc? That's got to be a sign of something...

Last edited by malole (30-6-2015 14:27:45)

30-6-2015 17:01:57  #15

Hey I've had plenty of dreams about typewriters. I've also have had dreams about school, Palestine, Gandhi, large rats, driving cars without a license, and shooting myself in the foot, so that's a sign of something? Right?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

30-6-2015 17:33:20  #16

I was responding to something elsebrian said.

Back from a long break.

30-6-2015 18:13:35  #17

Addicted? Not at all. I tend to stay between 5-8 typewriters at any given time, sometimes more, sometimes less. I currently have 8, but I'm sure that'll change soon. For quite a while I didn't have any. I actually sell them fairly often. In fact, I've sold 5 over the last week. I see no reason to keep too many, and constantly moving them on helps clear out some space and free up some funds for future purchases. It also helps me get familiar with the machines from different eras and manufacturers. I like hunting for these things at garage sales, estate sales, flea market, etc. That is where most of the fun is for me. Actually amassing a giant collection of them is not my goal. 

Simply put... I enjoy finding them and writing on them, but I'm not addicted to them.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

30-6-2015 19:15:50  #18

What, we're counting all the ones we've EVER owned?! sorry. I can't type that many characters. Like Beak, I have a dream of getting them down a bit... the thing is, the ones that are worth selling are the ones I don't want to sell. And the broken, contrary ones, no one will want. 

30-6-2015 19:33:50  #19

BrianE wrote:

Me: "Wie groß sind die Schnecken in der Schreibmaschine?"

OH I know this problem well.
When I had some spare time, I wanted to put together an 'International typewriter words' set of pictures.  Idea is that all the various parts are numbered, and you can refer to the number to find the right word in the language you need.
I find that having a couple of user manuals in the language helps; they often have diagrams with arrowed names.

Sincerely,
beak.

30-6-2015 20:23:14  #20

"Me: "Wie groß sind die Schnecken in der Schreibmaschine?""

lol 

Back from a long break.

Board footera