You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-6-2015 01:35:28  #1

Ch-ch-changes in the Olympia SM9

All issued under the name 'Olympia SM9' are what seems like up to seven or eight variations in this model.
Between us, we may be able to track them all down once and for all.
I have two distinct models to kick off with, and if anyone knows how to differentiate them by name or number within the SM9 heading, I'm sure many of us will be interested.

"A" (1969) has the tab controls either side of the spacebar.

'B" (1970) has the tab control as the +/- lever to the left of the keyboard (which was a touch control in A).

Please feel free to add picture of any of the other variants you have!
PS - I have two SM9s (like picture A) with serial numbers only 20 units apart; perhaps they came to Australia on the same shipment!

Last edited by beak (30-6-2015 01:51:36)

Sincerely,
beak.

30-6-2015 02:17:17  #2

Re: Ch-ch-changes in the Olympia SM9

I've never counted the model updates for the SM9 - I'm too busy working out those for the SG1 and SG3 - but I'd be surprised if there were seven of them. I can think of three, maybe four. I assume you're not talking about case colours in your count?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-6-2015 02:23:30  #3

Another SM9 Variation: White/Green Keys (Pictures are of an SM9 I sold a few years back)

Pics:

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

30-6-2015 02:53:20  #4

Uwe wrote:

..............I assume you're not talking about case colours in your count?

I guess we might as well include them, since I don't know, for instance, if there is any difference (mechanically / technically) bewtween my 'A' and Retro-Z's (which I may as welll call 'C') apart from the colours.

Retro-z: do you have the serial number / DATE for the machine you posted?

Which makes me think - perhaps it's better to stick to machines that we actually have, or can otherwise date postively ?

Last edited by beak (30-6-2015 02:57:25)

Sincerely,
beak.

30-6-2015 13:08:37  #5

I don't see why different colour cases would count as model variations since in most instances different colour cases would have been sold at the same time. I can somewhat understand an exception being made for the green/white SM9, but only because the colour scheme is indicative of the early models. And from what I know there's no difference between it and your variation "A". 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-6-2015 13:31:34  #6

Different color cases should not count as a seperate model, because they were probably custom from the company, or something like that. A different model is something mechanically or different colored, on the mchine. A case is almost like an accsessory. Its not what you type on, you type on the typewriter.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

30-6-2015 14:37:56  #7

TypewriterGuy wrote:

because they were probably custom from the company,

It wasn't a custom thing; like with cars, some models were available in different colour choices. The Royal FP, for example, was available in eight different colour schemes. I only consdier it to be a variant (I call them generations) if mechanical or component changes were made within the same model's production history. 

30-6-2015 15:22:11  #8

beak wrote:

Retro-z: do you have the serial number / DATE for the machine you posted?

I no longer have the serial number info available to me, but I do remember that it was made circa 1965. So, this version is actually earlier than the one you posted.

Furthermore, I believe this one should be considered as a different variation, as it was the "standard" color scheme for the SM9 at the time, whereas the example posted abover (fromt the late 1960s) features the later color scheme. 

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

30-6-2015 19:39:06  #9

Thing is, when you're looking at eBay listings, the colour may lead you to think that it is a different model when it's not.  So listing the colours found in the various models will help people to understand what model they may be looking at.  Sure, colour variation within a particular model is not important otherwise, but until it's established what models came in what colours, how can you tell!

Sincerely,
beak.

01-7-2015 16:03:52  #10

Except that they're actually all the same model, they're all SM9s. Olympia moved the location of a few controls around at some point, by the looks of it starting in 1970. Colour may or may not be a determining factor in identifying the two variations apart, and the simplest way remains to look at the space bar. 

Board footera