You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-8-2015 16:41:25  #31

Re: Ch-ch-changes in the Olympia SM9

Uwe - I'm guessing he means the silent return mechanism that stops the escapement making a grating noise as the carriage is returned. (Pulls the loose dog out of engagement with the escapement wheel).

Z-Typer - I am pretty sure that the silent return spring must be detached or missing on your 1967 model.  It wouldn't have left the factory making that noise.

13-8-2015 22:27:55  #32

I tried looking for it and I crossed compared it to my original SM-9 and I didn't see the spring that would keep the carriage return silent. Getting a good look is quite hard with the German machines because everything is so darn tight. But I'll poke around some more.

And I forgot to add the "silent" to "carriage return" before. Sorry if there was some confusion.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-8-2015 03:57:38  #33

To really get at the spring, you would have to take the carriage off its' rails (not advised !) You are not looking for a conventional coil spring, but an 80% circle of fine spring wire which sits in a groove on the escapement wheel and semi-rotates with it.  You will need a very powerful torch to see it.

29-9-2015 14:30:51  #34

First post, hello everybody,

i'm working on a project with my Monica from Olympia. Right now i'm at a point where i'm trying to find out as much about this model as i can. I am not sure if this model is a SM9 or not, but it looks very much like beak's model b in the opening post and Uwe even posted a monica on page 2. So it should fit in right here.
First, a picture of the typewriter itself (sorry for the big size)

So it's a Monica from Olympia. Unfortunately i have no model, no serial number or anything else that could help me identify it. What irked me during the research is the sticker on the machine which i included in the picture. Where was it built? Germany (Wilhelmshafen) or in the UK? Why would they build it there if the factory is in germany? Research in this direction led me nowhere, maybe anybody here knows more about that.
Furthermore, what about the typeface. I've uploaded a sample here: https://imgur.com/QuMapRm
Searching for typewriter fonts lead me nowhere in particular. I found out that a lot of typewriter producers had their typefaces made by type foundries and that a lot of typewriters have very similar looking typefaces. I nailed it down to either Pica NO.96 or NO.12 but further researching anything about Pica just leads to the measurement unit.
I hope you can help me out and that i'm not derailing this thread too much with this post. At least i think i have another one of these SM9 models

29-9-2015 16:37:44  #35

Yes, the machine is a Monica.  The Monica was always a de-featured version of the SM8/SM9.  Pretty well the same internal mechanism, but no tabulator.  This was Olympia's final version of the SM series.  Production of the SM8/9 had probably finished by the time this was made.  It has as many plastic parts as possible to keep the price down, no tabulator and no touch control.  No freehead either. Interestingly, they did also make a deluxe version with a basic tab. (six sliding stops inherited from the SM8), plus touch control and freehead.  The model probably dates from the late 1970's/early 1980's.  Turn the machine upside down, and you should find a serial number stamped underneath.  Yes, the machine really was made in the UK.  The factory was in Northern Ireland, but I do not know the precise location.  (Wages were cheaper in Ireland than in Germany)  They had been making Olympia mechanical adding machines.  When that line finished with the increasing popularity of printing desk calculators, the factory then took on the Monica.  I suspect that it was merely assembled from parts sent from Germany, but I do not know for certain.  This was the last true Olympia mid-sized machine before they went over to selling disguised Nakajimas.  Despite all the plastic, it is still a very nice typewriter and twice the quality of its' successor !

29-9-2015 17:02:42  #36

Forget what I said about the serial number - of course the machine is in a fully-enclosed plastic case so they must have moved it somewhere else on the machine where it was visible.  Cannot quite remember where, but it does have one !

01-10-2015 10:33:25  #37

thetypewriterman wrote:

Forget what I said about the serial number - of course the machine is in a fully-enclosed plastic case so they must have moved it somewhere else on the machine where it was visible. Cannot quite remember where, but it does have one !

Haha, you're quick to recognize the "mistake". I've looked all over the machine. The only other thing despite the sticker stating where it was made was "2.01.1" next to a "i" logo and a "05" in ar circle. This can't be the serial number, right? It was "in the hood" if this comparison to a car makes any sense. The plastic part of the machine which you can take off, too look under the hood.

01-10-2015 17:00:31  #38

That's the ribbon cover. 

27-11-2015 22:16:28  #39

Resurrecting this thread -- I came across a Craigslist post for a wide carriage SM9. That machine has the green shift keys and platen knob ends of the early versions, but the script Olympia logo on the front of the ribbon cover is in green also. I am thinking this is an earlier variant than those with the translucent silver script logo, perhaps the first SM9 variant?

Also, and this may not be a valid identifier of a variant, the three SM9s pictured on the first page of this thread all have a 1 key. The SM9 on Craigslist, and the one I have already, do not have a 1 key. I realize that Olympia made machines with a variety of typesets, but I would guess as a general rule that a machine with a 1 key indicates it's of later production than a machine without it. I am speaking of English keyboards; I cannot speak with confidence about other language keyboards.

09-12-2015 22:58:15  #40

So I got the SM9 referred to above. I paid $20. Platen (still decently soft) measures 13 3/8", so I don't know whether that makes it a 15" carriage for the sake of categorization. It's from the first year of production (1964) -- green script logo, and the carriage lock lever is all metal, like the SM3/SM4. So those would seem to be identifiers of the first variant of the SM9, as far as I can tell.

Cosmetically it is in beautiful shape, as is the case. When I got it, though, the keys were quite sticky or didn't move at all. Naphtha on the segment helped, but I discovered some sort of dark gunk that almost literally glued the typebars to the bumper on which they rest.  I had to carefully pry the typebars up off the bumper and remove the gunk from both it and the back of each typebar, a pretty tedious process. And it took several applications of naphtha to the segment to get the keys on the far ends of the segment to finally work freely. All good now.

Board footera