You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-7-2015 22:32:08  #1

Old Underwood! Please help!

So I recently inherited this typewriter. It is an Underwood, and I think it is probably from 1900-1925ish based on other pictures I have seen. It doesn't match any specific model, or have the model number printed on it. Does anyone know what it is/where I might find a serial number?

Finally, if this were fully functioning, how much would be a fair price for it? 

Thanks,

-A complete novice

EDIT: I  removed tech issue as there's already an existing post in the Maintenance & Repairs section for this typewriter. (Uwe)

Last edited by Uwe (03-7-2015 08:19:50)

03-7-2015 06:31:51  #2

Re: Old Underwood! Please help!

That is an Underwood Champion, just type in "Underwood Typewriter Database" on google, click on it, and find your serial number, which sould be under the right side of the carriage. 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-7-2015 07:01:00  #3

That is a model 6
Also there are plastic covers over the keys
That when removed reveal the cooler original keys

Last edited by mre12ax7 (03-7-2015 07:24:32)

My blog - Just Typewriters

03-7-2015 07:59:05  #4

TypewriterGuy wrote:

That is an Underwood Champion, just type in "Underwood Typewriter Database" on google, click on it, and find your serial number, which sould be under the right side of the carriage. As for the carriage not moving, I would say that is ffrom decades of neglet. Its most likley a buildup of dust, and old grime on the carriage rails. Can you move the carriage to one side?

"Champion" is actually a portable model. Sometimes you will find that word engraved into the tab bar, but that's more of a marketing thing. I think it's a model 6 too. The serial number should be next to the right ribbon spool, you can find it easily with a flashlight.

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (03-7-2015 08:00:10)

03-7-2015 08:31:05  #5

Oo yeah, sorry, its the model 6, the one that came after the 5.

Back from a long break.

03-7-2015 08:32:40  #6

Underwood won a number of world speed contests at the time and naturally boasted the achievement when advertising its typewriters. And to make sure it was clear to its customers, the word Champion was engraved on the spacebar of many different models. The legacy of this is that those not familiar with Underwood or its history mistake the spacebar marking as being the name of the model.

As for the "plastic covers", they're aftermarket key cushions that you would have bought back then and installed on your typewriter to improve typing comfort. They might have also been installed to cover unsightly keytops that were worn from use. Personally, I would NOT remove them if they're all there and in good shape as they're a very interesting addition to the typewriter. Also, peeling them off might destroy them, which would be a real shame. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-7-2015 17:49:01  #7

Thanks to everyone for your help! Based on this, how much money do you think this thing is worth?

Last edited by freck (04-7-2015 17:57:56)

04-7-2015 18:18:04  #8

One way to get a general idea of how much a typewriter is worth (at least on Ebay) is to search for that particular model, and then choose the options for "completed listings". That will show you listings that have ended. For auctions that sold, the price shows in green.  For auctions that didn't sell the price asked shows up in black.  Sometimes the seller accepts a highest bid, in which case the accepted bid doesn't show up.

You can compare the ones that sold at $x as far as condition relative to yours, and kind of get an idea.

If I did this right, this link should take you to completed listings for Underwood 6 typewriters. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=underwood%206%20typewriter&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Oh, and I'm being US centric here and assuming you are in the US.  Values can vary based on your location, so if you are not in the US, you could do the same thing for Ebay UK or AUS or whatever.

Then, of course, prices vary based on the venue as well.  Sometimes they are inflated on eBay. On sites like etsy the prices are sometimes laughable.  Then, you've got your antique malls which can vary, flea markets, garage sales, estate sales, etc... A fully and professionally refurbished typewriter is worth more than a dusty broken heap of the same model.

Last edited by Spazmelda (04-7-2015 18:27:27)

05-7-2015 02:21:19  #9

Definitely looks like an Underwood No.6 to me.

Not worth much. Don't expect to get rich off of selling it. LOL. I've seen them sell for anything between $10 to $100 locally, but different markets bring different prices. Yours has quite a bit of paint wear and decal fading, so it would take a hit to the value. If you are looking to sell it, put it up on the local Craigslist (or equivalent website) and see what happens.

I'd also agree with leaving those added key tops in place. They are pretty cool.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

05-7-2015 07:01:36  #10

I would say on ebay, now thats a different story. You could get $150 Id say.

Back from a long break.

Board footera