You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-3-2013 23:21:35  #11

Re: New Member Thread

teeritz wrote:

Shangas wrote:

I'm also from Melbourne. *wavy*

Hey Shangas, I think we've met. Last year at the Pen Show at Malvern. I had a go at trying to fix the Shift Key on your Underwood. Have you had any luck with it since?

Yes, that's correct! 

No, that damn shift-lock key still won't work. I've asked a few people, and the consensus is that the key-lever is just worn out from overuse. I don't have the technical expertise to examine it in detail, unfortunately. I have tried my hands with fixing other things, with considerable success, but not typewriters!...at least, not yet. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

23-3-2013 02:11:32  #12

HaroldB wrote:

Wow, I'd not heard of the Adler "The Writing Machine" book before.   Looking on-line, the prices are over my pay grade.

On ebay they ask ridiculous prices. In book stores you see them sometimes for 30 euros and of course on flee markets you can find them even cheaper. And it's worth the investment; collecting typewriters without Adler is not the same.

24-3-2013 01:12:06  #13

Greetings to all.  I'm brand new here - found my way from the Fountain Pen Network, where I have been for a couple of years.

My interest is not very scholarly, I'm afraid; an occassional user and would-be collector.  I like investigating 'outdated', technology of many kinds and I once had a large working collection of old British dial telephones.  Always interested in discovering what we throw away when a new technology takes over some area of life.

Would like to find out more about 'silent' typewriters (do you say 'TWs' here?) - what are the best makes, how much would one expect to pay, and so on.  Did a quick search with no luck, but that may be my inexperience in using this site.  Would some kind friend direct me!

Looking forward to some peaceful and friendly chat on the subject.

All the best to all,
beak.

Last edited by beak (24-3-2013 07:41:59)

Sincerely,
beak.

24-3-2013 03:25:50  #14

What Ho, Beaky! 

T.T. is a pretty new forum. We've only got a handful of members. I think you mean the 'noiseless' typewriters, right? A number of companies manufactured them; Royal, Remington, Underwood, and, I believe, Smith-Corona (someone correct me on that last one). They started coming out in the 30s and 40s. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

24-3-2013 04:06:28  #15

Hello Shangas!

Yes noiseless / quiet / why

The machine I have makes quite a racket - specially at night, when sound seems to travel a long way.  I'd like to find something that won't disturbs others.

I'll keep hunting around here, when I've found my way round the site.

See you around,
b

Sincerely,
beak.

26-3-2013 10:03:18  #16

Hello there fellow typers! My name is Keith and I live in Cleveland Ohio. I am an STNA (State Tested Nurses Aide). I did work in a junkyard and someone brought in a few desktop Royal typers. Two KMM's and a KHM. That is what got me going. Then I found a few more. A Royal Standard Portable Type O and some Smith Coronas. I met a few people who had typers and they gave them to me. One is a Royal Appollo 10 and the other is an Olympiette. I'm always looking for more but as everyone knows, people think it's old so it's worth millions. I am also into fountain pens, cast iron and journaling. I have three kids and two grandchildren. I love Hemingway obviously. My hobbies also include collecting hobo dolls.

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

31-3-2013 04:23:43  #17

First and foremost, a BIG THANK YOU to Uwe for creating this forum. I have been anxiously awaiting a forum like this for quite some time (I am a member of theportabletypewriterforum-Yahoo).
I am excited to be here!

So a bit about me...
My name is Amelia and I am 32 years old. I live in Southern California.
I am currently pursuing a multiple subject teaching credential in elementary education. It's been my dream to become a teacher since I was a wee little girl and I should be finished by the end of this year!

I have a soft spot for vintage things.
Some of the treasures I own include a 1966 Ford Mustang, Califone record player, RCA Victrola portable, Super 8 projector, Canon AE-1 Program, Nash Cruiser roller skates, a 1950s chrome
dinette set, vintage owl figurines, Atari 7800, Nintendo, Apple IIe, MacPlus, old books, and of course some vintage clothes.

TYPEWRITERS!
Again...fascination with vintage things :-)
I've actually been interested in typewriters for several years now. I do not have any close friends who are into typewriters, so I had no one to share the love with. It wasn't until 2011 that I purchased my very first typewriter. I have been hooked ever since!
Typewriters are just amazing machines.

My current "collection" includes:
1966 Olympia SM-9 DeLuxe
1959 Keller & Knappich Princess 300

I look forward to chatting and/or meeting with fellow typewriter enthusiasts.

Last edited by Amelia (31-3-2013 06:13:32)

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

31-3-2013 04:45:08  #18

What Ho, Amy. 

Welcome to our forum. You sound like my kinda person  

31-3-2013 06:27:08  #19

Thanks for the welcome, Shangas.

BTW, my name is Amelia.

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

31-3-2013 07:47:22  #20

Hi all,

Don't think I ever got round to introducing myself.

I'm a UK collector, a former Londoner who know lives in East Anglia.

Untill very recently I had little interest in typewriters, but the bug has bit, and now I have a surprising (to me) number of them. I have a long-standing interest in collecting tools (eg compasses and cameras, not shovels and hammers) so perhaps typewriters should not be much of a suprise.

My main area of interest is the glossy portables of the 1930s and 40s, but I've also got some 1970s design classics. 

I have a couple of desktop monsters (see my Monarch Visible), but don't have the space for many more of these. From now on I think I'll be portable only.

Glad to see this forum is picking up speed. The Yahoo typewriter group has provided a valuable service, but I find it hard to keep up with conversations there and the whole 'groups' format now looks a little prehistoric.

(PS I've just classed-up my avatar. If you hadn't recognised him, my former avatar - the black and white gent in the glasses and scarf - was Ken Shabby.)

Board footera