You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-6-2020 12:52:56  #1

Corona and L.C. Smith & Corona portables

Can someone tell me why the Corona-branded portables were manufactured concurrent with the Smith-Corona portables?  I have a Corona Silent flat-top from around 1935.  It is a fine typer, but overall seems to me to be perhaps a little more cheaply made than the Smith-Coronas of the same era.  Were the Corona-only branded machines considered the "budget" line of portables with the company?  Thanks in advance.

The typewriter gives me things I don't even know I'm working on.  ~ Charles Bukowski

13-6-2020 16:20:14  #2

Re: Corona and L.C. Smith & Corona portables

They were not concurrent. Pre-war portables made by L.C. Smith & Corona were branded Corona. Post-war they changed the branding to Smith Corona. The Corona Silent was the premium portable model.

13-6-2020 17:03:43  #3

Thank you, SKFan, for the reply.  My confusion arose from seeing both Corona-only branded portable "flat tops" as well as Smith-Corona branded ones, with the same design and appearance.  Were the Smith-Corona flat tops post-war?  I thought they went to the more rounded and modernized style just pre-war, as I have seen both LC. Smith & Corona and Corona-only branded machines of essentially the same design up until the War years.

The typewriter gives me things I don't even know I'm working on.  ~ Charles Bukowski

13-6-2020 21:37:18  #4

I just remembered that the early flat tops, from 1931-1934, prior to the 1-series machines, did have a "Smith Corona" decal above the keys instead of Corona. Sorry, I totally forgot about this. I think this was before they designated the different flat top models as Standard, Sterling, and Silent. The Corona Standard, Sterling, and Silent flat tops, starting at the 1-series, had "Corona" on the front above the keys, and on the front edge would say "L.C. Smith and Corona." Those models all changed to the streamline body style in the late 30's. The Comet and Comet De Luxe were in a flat-topped body and existed concurrently with the streamlined models in the early 40's and were labeled as Corona, and I believe they were the last flat tops.

13-6-2020 22:08:45  #5

SoucekFan wrote:

The Corona Standard, Sterling, and Silent flat tops, starting at the 1-series, had "Corona" on the front above the keys, and on the front edge would say "L.C. Smith and Corona." Those models all changed to the streamline body style in the late 30's.

Thank you!  That clears it up nicely for me.  I was I wasn't too obtuse (or thick) in my questioning.  Many thanks again.

Board footera