Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-10-2015 13:41:18  #1

Using the Maintenance & Repairs Sub-forum - READ THIS FIRST

Here are a few tips to keep in mind when using this sub-forum for repair advice:

- Please use the forum's SEARCH function first! Quite a few of the problems that are posted here turn out to be ones that have already been discussed. For example, did you know that flattened case washers on an Olympia SM will cause carriage issues? Search the forum and you'll find this is an often discussed issue.

- Include as much information as possible about your typewriter such as it's make, model, year of manufacture (or serial number).

- Photos can go a long way to making your concerns understood, especially if you are not familiar with the specific names of a typewriter's components. Instructions for including photos in a post can be found HERE.

- Be patient. Typewriter Talk is a community of typewriter enthusiasts - not a 24/7 help desk - so it might take a little time before someone comes to your rescue. 

- Be as detailed as possible with your description of the problem. And don't forget to leave anything out, like a repair you might have tried on your own first.

- Keep in mind that most of the help you will get here won't be from experts in the field, so before you rush into a repair based on the first (and potentially bad) advice given, we recommend either waiting for a consensus to be established or asking for confirming opinions. Of note, Typewriter Talk member thetypewriterman IS a professional typewriter technician, and if you're lucky enough to receive advice from him it should be heeded.

​- Don't assume that the advice that you've being given is correct. This is the internet after all. Typewriter Talk is not responsible for the comments or suggestions made by its members, and as such, repairs based on the information found within the Maintenance & Repair threads are performed at your own risk.

"To save time is to lengthen life."

09-12-2017 16:08:18  #2

Re: Using the Maintenance & Repairs Sub-forum - READ THIS FIRST

Greetings !
​I'm Dan and New to Forum.
Underwood Golden Touch Standard.
Ribbon Advance issue.  A bead chain connects a two-shaft mechanism.
​Chain turns a Driv-en Sprocket on the Ribbon Drive Shaft (that alt. engages each spool's paragon gear.)
​It is properly engaged and tensioned, but the Driv-ing Sprocket's Shaft (up under Carriage) doesn't turn with keystroke.  Each keystroke Does actuate a shaft and lever below that Could "Motivate" the Driv-ing Sprocket.  (Earlier Underwoods used a pair of pawls to "Translate" keystrokes to shaft rotation...)

​My inquiry:  How/where is keystroke "Energy" converted in this model?
​(The design is rather "tight" == I'm not able to see well . . . )

​Thank You for your consideration of my question !

Dan

10-12-2017 16:18:29  #3

Re: Using the Maintenance & Repairs Sub-forum - READ THIS FIRST

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the forum. Please copy your post and create a new thread with it. This thread is just for information regarding this sub-forum. I'll delete your post (and this one) once you've done that.

"To save time is to lengthen life."

Board footera