You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-7-2017 19:51:09  #1

Best way to clean Typewriter felt/insulation

So I'm cleaning up a Skyriter. I got it cheap, $30 and it seems in good shape, aside from dirt, grime, and the horrible stench of mildew.

A solid cleaning has fixed it up. The mildew smell is almost entirely gone. I'd like to clean the Typewriter's insulating/noise-cancelling felt as a final touch tho.

I've heard of different ideas to do so, but thought I'd post here in case there was finally some consensus, or at least better ideas.

So, what's worked for you?

18-7-2017 20:17:01  #2

Re: Best way to clean Typewriter felt/insulation

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1731

Replacing the ribbon is often a good place to start when it comes to getting rid of the mold smell.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-7-2017 06:07:12  #3

I'd replace the felt. I've added sound-proofing padding on the sides of an Olympia SF with good results. I've been tempted to replace the felt in my Tower Chieftain III (a Skyriter by any other name), but laziness keeps getting the better of me.
If/when I get around to it, I'll use double sided tape and a thicker kind of felt which I could (probably) get from a craft or art supply store.
Good luck. If you choose to replace rather than clean.

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

19-7-2017 10:15:37  #4

Yeah I never cleaned felt, just replaced it. They sell rolls of felt for like $5 at Home Depot, I think it's about a half inch wide. But it did the job on one of my ultra portables that had cork backing with holes where the slugs had dug in over time.

Board footera