You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-3-2016 16:22:57  #21

Re: Smith-Corona Electric Portable

The reason this is important is that not understanding it leads to a lot of confusion and wasted time trying to gain understanding and it always comes back to this:

Dick, you're basically right in your understanding except for the idea that pica and elite refer to typestyles or typefaces. They do not. They refer to pitches only, as somebody said earlier. Now it is true that very many typeface names have the words Elite and Pica in the names but that is does not make them "a pica typeface". You do not have "three elite typefaces"; you might have three typefaces with the word "Elite" in their names, or you might have three typewriters with 12 cpi spacing (which is what "elite" means).

You are already recognizing that Pica Thisname looks different from Pica Thatname and Anothername Pica. That's because "Pica" in a name is only a designator, not a characteristic. It's like expecting Jamie Lee Curtis and Jamie Foxx to look like each other.

The lowercase "pica" is a characteristic: 10 characters per inch horizontal spacing. (Incidentally, it has nothing whatever to do with the height of the characters; it is not like 10 point type vs 12 point type in the typography world.)

I agree with you on "Gothic", too. Gothic originally (19th Century or earlier) meant "sans serif" but it has come to mean also that style which we call Olde English or Fraktur. It's just a quirk of language that the one word designates such radically different styles.

You are also right about the use of all caps being harder to read in big doses. I was not trying to justify your large-and-small-caps typewriter earlier---only trying to give some reason for its existence that wasn't apparent.

So, the upshot is: Just don't think of pica and elite as typestyles and don't pay much attention to their willy-nilly use  in names.

HTH

01-3-2016 17:26:42  #22

Re: Smith-Corona Electric Portable

This is enlightening, thank you. I have three typewriters that measure 12 cpi, and one that measures 10 cpi. I don't know what their typefaces are called. But now I know not to call any typeface elite or pica, even if it's in the name of that face. Elite and pica refer to pitch only.
Language tends to become what people mostly use, and it can get confusing (thanks for adding to the confusion, SCM). For example, people call a decorative pin a broach, when in fact it's a brooch. People frequently use the word jealous when they mean envious (jealously requires three people, but being envious only two). With continual usage it becomes that thing. We accept it. But I won't continue to muddy these waters.Thanks for your instruction on this subject.

Dick Sanders
 I took typing classes in the 8th and 9th grades to avoid electives such as wood shop. Little did I know they would be the most important classes of my education.

Board footera