You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-3-2016 05:00:29  #1

Copying machines - Roneo etc.

Having ignored the 'stencil' setting on all my machines up to now, I find myself coming round to the idea of finding and using the stencil feature to make copies.  But I have no experience with process or the machines required for it - or none that holds well in the memory.
Can anyone guide me to what sort of process is recommended?
Has anyone experience of copying this way?
Anything would help.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
beak.

11-3-2016 14:26:37  #2

Re: Copying machines - Roneo etc.

Obviously nothing is simpler than using a carbon sheet for making up to maybe six copies of what you're typing, but more than that - and ignoring more modern technology such as photocopiers, scanners, and computer printers - then as you suggested, you would have to resort to cutting stencils and using something like a mimeograph machine to produce the copies.

Considering this technique does not require electricity (hand crank machines exist) and is fairly low tech, it's still employed throughout the world, so the good news is that you should be able to get all the supplies you need without too much hassle. Ink for the mimeo machine, and stencils for your typewriter are still available from websites such as this, and the actual mimeograph machines seem to be readily available from online sources such as eBay, although given their size and weight I'd do my best to source one locally.  

I haven't used a mimeograph since junior high school, but I recall that it was a very simple process. You cut the stencil using the typewriter, prep the stencil, load it on the mimeo, and start cranking out copies. The ink in the machine passes through the stencil onto the copy paper, so the number of copies you can make will be determined by the quality of the stencil you're using.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-3-2016 16:09:33  #3

I wonder if the ink still smells the lovely same way?

11-3-2016 17:10:39  #4

Had no idea you could still buy supplies!  Thanks.
The hunt for a machine begins...

Sincerely,
beak.

11-3-2016 17:26:30  #5

Hey Beak, Ill post some links for some ones- oh wait, you in Australia!

Ill look on the australian eBay then!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-3-2016 17:27:47  #6

They all seem to be in the US...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-3-2016 19:19:57  #7

Have already found three machines in OZ, but the condition not that good.  With something like this a machine in good nick will be the thing; don't want to spend the first six months trying to repair it.
Patience, as always, is the thing; one will turn up eventually.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera