You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-4-2016 02:48:43  #11

Re: Ooops i've gone and done it again....

Good Morning All,

I hope it's ok to post a link to a current e-bay item. This wide carriage Underwood appears to have the same type of platen as my one and it may well be made of cork.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-UNDERWOOD-MODEL-6-WIDE-MANUAL-TYPEWRITER-1953-FREE-POST-/282006428818?hash=item41a8e49c92:g:thsAAOSwDk5T2WJX

I can definitely type fine at the moment, there are a couple of minor knocks in the platen that may need to be filled and smoothed, one way or another, but basically all good.
f you use the zoom facility you can see the spiral going along the platen.

Interesting,
Alan.

22-4-2016 04:17:48  #12

Yes, that is a cork platen without a shadow of doubt !  You really have won there, particularly if the feedrolls underneath are also cork (which they often are when a cork platen is present)  You will never have the major expense of having the platen re-rubbered.  You can sand these down lightly using 100 grit emery cloth or sandpaper.  Take the platen out and wrap the sandpaper round the platen with your left hand whilst turning with your right.  It will make your wrists ache, but you will be suprised how well it comes up afterwards !

22-4-2016 05:00:56  #13

Hi TypewriteMan,

Thanks very much for the info. I hadn't seen the alternative platen mentioned anywhere, which is why I was puzzled as it looked right, but not rubber.
Thanks for the tips about looking after it, I think I can just fill the small dents with a bit of glue for smoothness.

Cheers,
Alan.

22-4-2016 05:52:45  #14

Hello again,

Sorry, still thinking about this platen thing. Does anyone know if this was offered as an option (Cork platen) or was it simply a case of using what was available at the time of production.
Having looked it up now I know what it is, its use seems a bit random and was used by different manufacturers as well. Maybe just an early 1900's trial and error experiment to see what the users thought?
Your thoughts please,

Alan.

22-4-2016 14:03:06  #15

It was an optional platen, just like the brass one I mentioned in my previous post. I have several machines with cork platens, and I think that you're overlooking something important: just because your 1913 Underwood has one on it now doesn't mean that it's original to the machine. Who knows over the typewriter's service life span how many of its components were replaced, and it's very possible that a rubber platen for a cork one might be one of them. It could have been replaced during the '50s, for example. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-4-2016 16:03:03  #16

As Uwe says, cork was often offered as an alternative to rubber both on new machines and aftermarket.  I think that this must have died out before the 1960's because it certainly wasn't possible to get cork platens when I started in the trade in the mid-1970's.  The advantage of cork is longevity.  The disadvantage is that it never grips the paper as well as rubber - even worse when both platen and feedrolls are cork.  Cork platens are quite common on Imperial typewriters that were made in England during the war.  We were very short of materials then, so cork was probably the only game in town.  I have even seen wartime typewriters with cork feet - both portables and standards.

22-4-2016 16:38:33  #17

Just wondering, what was the point of cork over rubber? One of my SPs, might have a cork platen.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

23-4-2016 04:30:20  #18

Q. Just wondering, what was the point of cork over rubber?
A. The advantage of cork is longevity.  The disadvantage is that it never grips the paper as well as rubber - even worse when both platen and feedrolls are cork. 

23-4-2016 06:19:31  #19

Thanks Typewriter Man.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

23-4-2016 18:31:48  #20

I think (but am not sure) that cork platens were made specifically for cutting stencils.

My blog - Just Typewriters

Board footera